Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2017, 12:20 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,249,423 times

Advertisements

honestly. what goes on in these people's minds?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 01:17 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,684,024 times
What's your point?

Old 08-11-2017, 01:33 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
In that subdivision, it's wine and golf. There's a nearby winery and a nearby golf course that folks like to use. Occasional nene geese on the golf course, I've heard. They have power and paved roads although they're also on water catchment which is normal for that area. Nice and close to Volcano National Park as well. And they're up slope from most of the lava. It's a nice area, actually. So what's the point?

As far as drugs, I'd think wine and coffee?

Old 08-11-2017, 02:24 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,249,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
What's your point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
In that subdivision, it's wine and golf. There's a nearby winery and a nearby golf course that folks like to use. Occasional nene geese on the golf course, I've heard. They have power and paved roads although they're also on water catchment which is normal for that area. Nice and close to Volcano National Park as well. And they're up slope from most of the lava. It's a nice area, actually. So what's the point?

My point is that this place is right on top of an active volcano that could incinerate the area at any moment.

Also, vog.

Also, far from any decent beach.

Also, sunlight.

The list goes on...

Old 08-11-2017, 03:02 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,602,126 times
It's safer there than the coast, two towns have been wiped out since 1960, and we almost lost Pahoa a couple years ago.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:33 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
My point is that this place is right on top of an active volcano that could incinerate the area at any moment.

Also, vog.

Also, sunlight.

The list goes on...
Nope, the active volcano is further down slope. That area is probably a Lava Zone two or even three, not a one, I'm guessing, though.

Vog goes out the other way, it's probably pretty clear there.

It gets lots of sun there, much less rain than in Hilo.

It's actually kinda a nice subdivision if you've ever been there.

And most of Puna is even further from a 'decent' beach.

The Volcano area (it's a village/town) has a lot of artistic sorts of folks with art studios and galleries there. Lovely ohia forests with lots of interesting bird species. Lots of ferns and gingers.

The lava flows are much lower on the slopes and the towns that have been covered by lava lately (in the past twenty to thirty years) have been much lower elevations.

But, I doubt you're planning on living there, so if it's not your circus, why are they your monkeys?

Old 08-13-2017, 10:50 AM

5 posts, read 13,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I'll take one of each, please. :D

Old 08-13-2017, 12:23 PM

10,578 posts, read 7,793,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post

Also, vog.

Also, sunlight.

The list goes on...
The list is all wet.

Hotcatz covered just about everything. I'll add that explosive eruptions of Kilauea have occurred in the past, but the chances of one occurring in the future are practically zero.

If one were to happen, people in the park could be killed or injured, but not likely for folks in those residences.
But then, this volcano is closely monitored so if conditions became favorable for such an event then the park would be closed.

My problem with that location is that it gets cold at 4,000 ft. elevation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii