Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2017, 01:35 PM

163 posts, read 268,732 times

Advertisements

I've been applying to social service/social worker jobs with the State and have 3 interviews lined up which I'm happy about. But all of them are on Kauai and Maui. Don't get me wrong. I am NOT complaining and would be thrilled to get a State job on either of those islands. I've just never gotten a call for a job on Oahu. I'm just wondering if outer islands are lacking a decent on-island applicant pool. They are calling me for interviews no less than two weeks after I applied which is super fast for a government job. Just wondering if anyone has insight.

ETA: One of the jobs on Maui required me to sit in for a 2.5-hour test in order to rank all the applicants. They only have the test in Wailuku, so I flew in for the day. According to the agency, they only do the test 1-2 times a month. I was surprised that there were only 6 people sitting for the test including me! I took a test for court clerk years ago in Honolulu, and there were over 20 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 02:17 PM

Why was this moved to the Oahu forum??? I'm specifically asking about Kauai and Maui.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:04 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
As far as I can tell, it was moved to the 'Hawaii' forum, which covers all the islands, which is why the mods did it, I'd expect.

As far as jobs on Maui and Kauai, there's a lack of workers at the moment - or so they say - so jobs are out there if you want them. It would be more likely that jobs on Maui or Kauai would possibly be 'living wage' jobs since it takes less to live on those islands (although not by much) than Oahu.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
As far as I can tell, it was moved to the 'Hawaii' forum, which covers all the islands, which is why the mods did it, I'd expect.

As far as jobs on Maui and Kauai, there's a lack of workers at the moment - or so they say - so jobs are out there if you want them. It would be more likely that jobs on Maui or Kauai would possibly be 'living wage' jobs since it takes less to live on those islands (although not by much) than Oahu.
I originally put it into the Hawaii forum, but when I came back a few hours later it was in the Oahu forum. Looks like it got moved back.

Anyway, a lot of the jobs I applied for want at least a BA in social work or sociology with many of them wanting an MSW (which is what I have). I find the pay scale is standard across all islands. All of the jobs I've seen, regardless of the island, pay at least 12k more than what I'm making now, with most being 15k - 18k. The increase is based on responsibility, not the location of the job.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:18 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
If you can get a higher paying job on any of the islands other than Oahu, you'll gain more spending power by living on an island that isn't as expensive. Worked well for us, we went from Oahu to Hawaii island and have been doing much better financially over here. We would have had to have worked a lot harder to afford a house on Oahu.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
If you can get a higher paying job on any of the islands other than Oahu, you'll gain more spending power by living on an island that isn't as expensive. Worked well for us, we went from Oahu to Hawaii island and have been doing much better financially over here. We would have had to have worked a lot harder to afford a house on Oahu.
I surmised as much. Big Island was my first choice, but no luck getting interviews for that island.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Welp, got a tentative offer for a job in Lihue with the State. Pay is about 15k more than what I'm making now, so that's awesome. Now, I gotta sit down with myself and make sure I can live on Kauai for a few years.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:10 PM

252 posts, read 422,620 times
Have a question for you.

What are your interests besides working. You do not have to answer, but just to put that idea into your mind.

Kauai is a very beautiful island, with amazing open to everyone hiking trails, and the only island with navigable rivers ( kayaking ), lots of beaches. In other words, where ever you chose, do you intend to do more than just work. Would you have the inclination to actually have time to enjoy the island where you are living.

On kauai a lot of our construction workers are brought in from other islands, the mainland, and other countries and all they did was work, and worked hard. Never explored any other areas of the island, most never even went to a beach...some for a year or more. For us, that was a real shame to not share the marvelous beauty of all of the garden island. Hope you can get out and have a grand fun time when you have free time.

the area of Lihue: Your are well located next to shopping, many restaurants, movie theater, kalapaki beach, doctors, dentists, etc, Also drives over to Poipu Beach area, or up to Kapa'a are easy. We also went up to waimea canyon and the Kalalau Valley, and the other direction to the Tahiti like north shore.

As to your employment , cannot tell you about Kauai, but Erica worked for L.A. County Health Dept, M.D. and was able to retire fairly young , Actually she was the supervisor for several different Health Clinics in L.A. County. She was able to retire with a very descent pension and we moved to kauai.

I would imagine Kauai County, or the State of Hawaii, would have very similar programs and benefits.

All in all, you will be following your dream, doing what you have studied for and love, and living on one of the most beautiful islands on the planet

Congrats

Old 02-09-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidooley View Post
Have a question for you.

What are your interests besides working. You do not have to answer, but just to put that idea into your mind.

Kauai is a very beautiful island, with amazing open to everyone hiking trails, and the only island with navigable rivers ( kayaking ), lots of beaches. In other words, where ever you chose, do you intend to do more than just work. Would you have the inclination to actually have time to enjoy the island where you are living.

On kauai a lot of our construction workers are brought in from other islands, the mainland, and other countries and all they did was work, and worked hard. Never explored any other areas of the island, most never even went to a beach...some for a year or more. For us, that was a real shame to not share the marvelous beauty of all of the garden island. Hope you can get out and have a grand fun time when you have free time.

the area of Lihue: Your are well located next to shopping, many restaurants, movie theater, kalapaki beach, doctors, dentists, etc, Also drives over to Poipu Beach area, or up to Kapa'a are easy. We also went up to waimea canyon and the Kalalau Valley, and the other direction to the Tahiti like north shore.

As to your employment , cannot tell you about Kauai, but Erica worked for L.A. County Health Dept, M.D. and was able to retire fairly young , Actually she was the supervisor for several different Health Clinics in L.A. County. She was able to retire with a very descent pension and we moved to kauai.

I would imagine Kauai County, or the State of Hawaii, would have very similar programs and benefits.

All in all, you will be following your dream, doing what you have studied for and love, and living on one of the most beautiful islands on the planet

Congrats
Thanks. I actually took the job in September and moved here in November once my background check went through. I live in Kapaa, now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii