Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best county for agriculture and animal husbandry
Maui 1 16.67%
Big Island 5 83.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 04:55 PM

4,415 posts, read 4,933,621 times

Advertisements

We know several farmers and other producers who don't even sell in Hawaii. The "boutique" or "niche" markets in places like Seattle and LA will pay more (even after shipping) for genuine Hawaiian products than what the products will sell for within the state.

Most of the profitable small(er) farmers/producers we know who sell within the state sell almost exclusively to resorts and high-end restaurants.

A lot of the profit equation is figuring out what will grow (and how to grow it), the other part is figuring out where to sell it to maximize profit.

Edited to add: One time we were at a local restaurant that caters to a lot of tourists and also has rabbit on their menu. Without even asking where the rabbit came from the waitress explained that the restaurant bought the rabbit meat from a producer on the mainland because "the local farmers can't produce enough rabbits to keep the restaurant stocked". Our BS meter off but we didn't say anything to the waitress. We later tried contacting them to see if they wanted to buy local rabbits (we raise and butcher rabbits) and they never returned our messages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 03:26 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,243,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf of Aden View Post
Just give me any advise you can offer. That's all. Thank you.
learn how to spell 'advice'.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:31 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,081,755 times
Well, 'advise' is a verb and 'advice' is a noun, so it's more a grammatical error than spelling error.

Gulf of Aden, it's really hard to advise you with any advice since the subject matter is too large. There's so much difference between the two islands as well as a huge amount of different agricultural pursuits possible. Have you tried CTAHR's database? Here's one of their search portals: https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/site/Search.aspx

'CTAHR' is 'Collage of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources' which is a subset of the University of Hawaii. You can look up all sorts of different tropical crops and such there.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:00 PM

yes, precisely..and well stated.

I have a MA in English...I always tell people it's primary purpose is to finish crossword puzzles a little quicker than most.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:08 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,081,755 times
Hmm, can't think of any direct ways an MA in English could be used in a farming venture. If it were in Latin, it may help in looking up crops in a plant database? It is good for knowing words like 'alar' and 'reo' and what's that ocean eagle? It's another word that only shows up in crossword puzzles.

But we still dunno if the OP wants to farm or ranch or exactly what. "Agriculture" covers a huge amount of ground (no pun intended, really) and "animal husbandry" doesn't limit things much either. I suspect in either case, the hard part will be getting access to farm or ranch land at a cost that will make farming or ranching viable, let alone provide enough income to live on.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:33 AM

I can't think of any direct ways an MA in English can be used for ANYTHING useful..I did Adjunct Prof an English Comp. class in the evening at the request of my Profs that I hung with..

They 'slick dogged' me into teaching the last course of the evening because none of them wanted to teach it..they acted like they were doing me a favor..haha.

I lasted one semester, if was a remedial course for kids in the CHANCE program.

An MA in English is good for another line on your résumé and your obit. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii