Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 03:43 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post

Always be careful parking at Kona Airport
Those aren't the official B-52 type cockroaches, those are those black bugs masquerading as cockroaches. Not sure what they are exactly, but they at least mostly stay outside. Maybe some kinda scarab beetle or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 04:18 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Record that SPCA Sarah McLaughlin commercial. Put it on a loop playing endlessly in your car.
The roaches will eventually commit suicide or become depressed and simply give up the will to live.
https://pics.me.me/hi-tim-sarah-mcla...y-14760509.png

Old 11-21-2017, 04:45 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,380 times
Seriously though, I had a cockroach infestation in one of my cars. It was a newer Acura and deemed by the wife to be "too nice to torch", (though she wouldn't ride in it during said infestation).
The culprits were not the big B-52's, but rather the small, quick, dusty-brown roaches that are about size of a house fly.
I tried gassing them a few times by running the AC on high (to circulate the air in to the cracks and crevasses). I would then toss in a fumigation canister and let the car idle with the windows up. It knocked them back for a while, but inevitably over time they would reappear. I finally placed a few Raid roach bait-traps under the seat and that did the trick.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:00 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
Lived in Waialua and Honolulu for twelve years and never once had bugs in the car. Had cane spiders on the windowshield though.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:32 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Lived in Waialua and Honolulu for twelve years and never once had bugs in the car. Had cane spiders on the windowshield though.
Me too. This is not normal. Something else going on with cockroaches in cars. Otherwise they’d make a movie . I don’t see that as normal even for Hawaii

Old 11-22-2017, 03:25 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Me too. This is not normal. Something else going on with cockroaches in cars. Otherwise they’d make a movie . I don’t see that as normal even for Hawaii
So are you saying that the people who have cockroaches in their cars are abnormal?

Old 11-22-2017, 08:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
So are you saying that the people who have cockroaches in their cars are abnormal?
No. I didn’t say the “people” are abnormal - I said, it isn’t normal in Hawaii to have cockroaches in your car.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:21 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
No. I didn’t say the “people” are abnormal - I said, it isn’t normal in Hawaii to have cockroaches in your car.
It's may not be normal, but it isn't rare either. With them being commonly found in most homes, why would they not also be in a fair number of vehicles? The attractantsame and opportunities for infestation are present in both.
Most of our companys' shop trucks see an occasional roach and I have even had a large cane spider go waltzing across the dash in one of our trucks.
Perhaps it is more prevalent in the rural areas?

Old 11-22-2017, 11:51 PM

666 posts, read 642,426 times
Hi, I've had this issue in the past. The only thing that ended up working was setting off a bug bomb in the car.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:52 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,525,135 times
Well, I don’t live in Hawaii, but the thread caught my eye. In SoCal some years back, my friend’s Toyota Celica got infested, I never saw anything like it. She was going through a lot at that point, so leaving a lot of half-eaten fast food & beer cans & bottles in her car, & it was a warm summer.

We set off a couple of bug bombs with the windows up...this was after cleaning all the garbage out of the car. Then we rolled down the windows in a outside area to air it out. Then wiped down the seats, steering wheel, dash, console...all the inside of the car. Then in a couple of weeks, we bombed it once more to catch the stragglers, unhatched roach eggs, etc., then did the air-out & wipe-down again. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii