Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 03:13 PM

518 posts, read 764,002 times

Advertisements

Injured hiker: 'Booby trap' set up to deter Haiku Stairs trespas - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Quote:
KANEOHE, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) -
A Utah visitor says he knows he was trespassing when he climbed a fence to get to Haiku Stairs in Kaneohe and slipped, impaling his neck on what he described as a "booby trap" — a wooden box with screws sticking out.

"It was wet, it had been raining out, and my right foot slipped which brought me down and I just did a direct kind of neck plant on the nails," Jonathan McWillie said, who added that he was taken to an ER after the incident about 2 a.m. on Feb. 17.

He underwent two hours of surgery to stitch up two inch-deep puncture wounds after falling on the contraption, affixed to a homeowner's fence on Kuneki Street.

The owner of the property closest to the device declined to comment on the incident, but said he deals with dozens of trespassing hikers daily despite guards and the threat of a $1,000 citation.

Resident John Long lives near another access route. He put up fences around his property to deter hikers as well.

“He shouldn't have been in the man's yard, or whoever's yard it was," Long said. "I'm not gonna say it was a trap, but you don't belong there. Don't go in anybody's yard. I wouldn't trespass in someone's yard. I wouldn't want to invade in someone's privacy."

The so-called “Stairway to Heaven” has been closed since 1987 due to safety concerns. Officials are trying to come up with a plan to re-open the trail with managed access.

But in the meantime, hikers are still drawn to the area’s stunning views — and they're willing to trespass to get there.

McWillie, who is a photographer, said he was willing to pay the fine if he was caught because his trip was based around the hike.

"If I got caught by police and was issued a trespassing violation … I was fully willing to pay that," he said. "Obviously, it wasn't something I was willing to pay with my life."

McWillie added that he believes the homemade apparatus does more harm than good and is considering taking legal action.

“If you're putting up nails, booby traps on your fence, it's not gonna deter someone who has flown six hours to get there," he said. "You're already getting up at 1 in the morning to start this hike. I don't really think there's a deterrent there. All it's going to do is injure many more, or kill someone potentially."

The stairs’ owner, the Board of Water Supply, declined comment on the incident "as it did not occur on BWS property."

The board also reminded the public that Haiku Stairs is closed "and that there is no legal access to the stairs."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 04:58 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,270 times
I don't know that I would have categorized this as a "booby trap". From the news report I watched, it appears this box was placed on top of a fence pillar in full view. A homemade deterrent similar to razor wire or fence top spikes. Guy fell against it trying to get by it (while in the act of treaspassing). I really think he was asking for it. It wasn't like it was hidden in brush where some unsuspecting person would step or fall onto it without being aware it was there.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:54 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
And he's feeling very entitled to trespass across someone's property even though he knows it's illegal.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:11 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
And he's feeling very entitled to trespass across someone's property even though he knows it's illegal.
Because after all, he whined, he did fly six hours and drive for thirty minutes and get up at 1:00 a.m. to get there. He admitted that he did go to all this work to plan a hike that he clearly knew was illegal. How dare someone try to stop him!

Old 02-28-2018, 08:42 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,327 times
Wow. Knows he’s breaking the law and hints at a lawsuit because he didn’t think they really meant it. I’d call that a yard ornament anyway.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:44 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,196 times
I have zero sympathy for the trespasser. He flew 6 hours with the intent to engage in an activity he knew was illegal. He didn’t care. He planned his route to gain access by trespassing. He didn’t care.

Then through his reckless actions and criminal intent, he gets injured ... now he cares ... and wants to blame someone else for injuries he incurred due to his own actions.

I’d like to see him arrested for trespassing and sued by the landowner for emotional distress resulting from his actions .. if possible. So tired of people flipping their finger at laws and other people and then claiming “victim” when things don’t go their way.

Ok, my rant over.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:18 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,532,419 times
Good god, this guy got what he deserved. The only sympathy I have is for the property owner. How would you like it if dozens of people trespassed on your property daily, including all hours of the night? The hiker acted like the law didn't apply to him and tried to justify his actions by saying "if he got caught he would be fully willing to pay the fine". This isn't a game of catch me if you can, this is someone's personal property you're trespassing on. Zero sympathy for this lowlife. I just wish someone would destroy the stairs. I don't have respect for those that don't respect others.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:06 PM

16 posts, read 16,075 times
That guy is what is wrong with America!

Old 03-01-2018, 12:03 AM

11 posts, read 14,342 times
No words describe the disrespect here.. property is private, expensive and rare in Hawaii. I don't live there but hate hearing tourist stories like this. Homeowner worked his/her/their hardest to own that property. Sure, weird/dangerous measures were taken by the homeowner but hope the best for everyone involved. It's not just a Hawaii tourist thing, people do this on the mainland.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:51 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,471 times
Karma has way of rising up and showing you what is right and what is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: