Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 03:43 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
I don’t really understand this. And I’m not trying to put up roadblocks. But when I read this I wonder what “fair rents” means ? Who decides what is a fair rent ? The tenant who agrees to rent the space ? Or does the owner decide “fair rent” based on their costs to purchase and maintain the property and cover the risks of being a landlord ? Or are you suggesting eliminating a market based free economy and seeding pricing control to the government ?

Your post also seems to imply that the rights and needs of some people are more important than others. Why are the needs of the renter more important than the need of the property owner ? And is it fair to say one group should be punished and forced to subsidize others ?

Lastly, when I read this I wonder about the phrase “their piece of Hawaii” and get “their piece of the pie”. It sounds like you feel their is an entitlement to own. I own properties through a lifetime of sacrifice, choices, and determination to own. Should I be punished so that others can be given something others had to earn ?

I really believe if people want something badly enough, they will find a way to earn it. And once they do earn it, they’ll appreciate it more than if some attempts to give them their “fair share”.

But seems like a lot of people in todays US feel they are entitled to things without any requirement to earn it.

But my way of thinking seems out of favor these days.
Waikikiboy,

Have you ever heard of RENT CONTROL on the mainland?

That is that the rents are either controlled to be the same rate as long as that renter is in the unit, or that rent increases are controlled by the govt, who then decides what % of increases are allowed. That is for locals renting with a defined area.

That is regardless of what FMV may be. My grandfather lived in a rent control apartment in LA for years. His rent was $400/month. Would you like to tell me WHERE in LA you can find a 2 br apartment for that little money nowadays ( although he did pads some years ago, but LA has always been expensive to live in. He had rent control.

So "fair rent for locals" is differing from the transient rents tgat can be commanded.

That gives locals in Hawai'i, many of whom claim poverty and work 2 or 3 jobs just to survive ( not much different in areas on the mainland) a chance to have a breather on rent or to save to buy a property.

It doesn't matter yo me how you got your property(ies), what matters to me is the local Hawai'ians who claim they can't afford expensive rents or the ability to buy property.

I'm fortunate enough that I will have the wherewithal to buy my own piece of the pie here, and may be able to buy a piece in Hawai'i, in any particular island I chose.

When I hear of locals or thibk of them who can't afford it, while I and other mainlanders or other foreigners swoop in and buy it out from under them it makes me sad.

If or rather when I do buy my piece so I can visit more often, and leave piles and piles of money behind for locals, id like to think they can go home to an affordable home for their ohana.

I'd also advocate for a 10% tax on transient rentals not of the hotel or resort type, as well as the hotel taxes to go to the locals.

If you still don't understand me, I guess you never will.

Not ALL islanders rake in $150k+ A year, and can afford a $300-600k condo or single family with multiple bedrooms for their ohana.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 04:37 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

Not ALL islanders rake in $150k+ A year, and can afford a $300-600k condo or single family with multiple bedrooms for their ohana.

:
Granted. The full rant I didn’t read.

But, Hawaii had the 3rd highest household millionaires in the US. So obviously it’s affordable

Old 04-08-2018, 07:06 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

But, Hawaii had the 3rd highest household millionaires in the US. So obviously it’s affordable
And, how many came from the mainland??

How many, who don't own a tourist business are "home grown"??

The waitress who serves me as i eat my poke or lomi lomi or other Hawaiian delectable along with my mai tai ( yuk), isn't one of those millionaires, I'll bet.

I tip well, and if others do too, they might make good money, but I doubt enough to be a millionaire.

That is why it seems so many locals complain about needing affordable housing, or that they can't afford to live there (food and utilities aside ).

Of course it can the same on the mainland, in some areas, so it's not just island prone.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
And, how many came from the mainland??
About 6

Quote:
How many, who don't own a tourist business are "home grown"??
The rest

Quote:
That is why it seems so many locals complain about needing affordable housing, or that they can't afford to live there (food and utilities aside ).
Well, if you lived here - you'd know the culture is mostly about a lot of whining.

Another fun fact for Hawaii, the wealth gap - the gap between the highest and lowest earners, is the lowest in the United States in Hawaii.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm curious, are you going to pack up and move if "x" or "y" number of sex offenders move into your area?

I'm also curious to know how Airbnb impacts matter. Do those rentals violate laws governing vacation rentals? I'd imagine it would depend on the number of nights someone books an Airbnb rental and on whether the LL lives on site, but could be wrong.
Pack and move? No, but it definitely impacts if I move there to begin with.

Airbnb, homeaway, vrbo - they are breaking the law on Oahu. It is so blatant.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:14 PM

20,106 posts, read 9,018,880 times
As an Airbnb owner/operator, I really don't care if there are additional taxes/fees placed on rentals. I won't be paying them, renters will be.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
As an Airbnb owner/operator, I really don't care if there are additional taxes/fees placed on rentals. I won't be paying them, renters will be.
That’s not the point. It’s illegal regardless of the taxes.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:57 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,865 times
Quote:
Waikikiboy,

So "fair rent for locals" is differing from the transient rents tgat can be commanded.

That gives locals in Hawai'i, many of whom claim poverty and work 2 or 3 jobs just to survive ( not much different in areas on the mainland) a chance to have a breather on rent or to save to buy a property.
The vast majority of rentals are not vacation rentals. There is no need for rent control. All that is needed is enforcement of the current zoning and use laws that limit where vacation rentals are allowed. At least on Oahu, vacation rentals are pretty much only allowed in some condo buildings in Waikiki. A few buildings out of Waikiki. But 99% of the rentals outside of Waikiki are not legal for vacation rental use. So rent control is not needed. They just need to enforce the current laws.

Outside of Waikiki, I think one big influence on the long term rental market is the military. Lots of military come to the island and the military give a good rent stipend. Outside of Waikiki I think that is a bigger influence on rents than vacation rentals.

Quote:
It doesn't matter yo me how you got your property(ies), what matters to me is the local Hawai'ians who claim they can't afford expensive rents or the ability to buy property.
That’s too bad. Because if you reject advice and refuse to listen to people who have done it (whatever “it” happens to be), you’ll never learn or grow and you’ll limit your potential. Locals in Hawaii don’t need you to feel sorry for them and to reinforce a narrative that they can’t be successful. Helping someone discover their potential and show them how they can succeed is far more helpful.

In the long run, that is far more helpful than a generous tip for a poke bowl on your next vacation. Every place in the world has a % of the population who have difficulties day to day. Hawaii is no different.

But back on topic, I’m in favor of strict enforcement of existing laws on vacation rentals on Oahu and creating more tourist zones on other islands. And I don’t think vacation rentals are the big drivers in rent costs island wide. I think there are many other factors.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:20 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

At least three of Hawaii's millionaires made there money in California. I know them well as they lived near me. One couple that lives in Hawaii and are close to my parents made a bunch of money here in California and then retired with their cash to Hawaii.

So when you say Millionaires, how many are home grown, as in made it in Hawaii Millionaires?

Old 04-09-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

So when you say Millionaires, how many are home grown, as in made it in Hawaii Millionaires?
If you lived here - then you'd know practically all of them.

This is not a high retiree state like Florida, California, Arizona, etc....

So much old money here - I'm hard pressed to think of any of my neighbors when I lived in Kailua or now in Kahala that came from the mainland.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii