Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 03:04 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times

Advertisements

Well if what all you say on this page is true, then tgere should be NO articles about "poor Hawai'ians who can't afford housing because all if the mainlanxers and vacationers have driven up hoysibg costs to a point tgey can't afford to live in their own state.

Also regardless of where they came from, the should be NO homeless in Hawai'i.

Every time I visit, the star-advertiser, the tv news or somewhere there is/are multiple stories about both.

Maybe, since I haven't been there in what 4, 5 years, all those problems have been solved.

Here on the mainland, onHGTV The real estate company called Hawaiian Life has a show about mainlanxers spending hundreds of thousands if not a million or so dollars in Hawai'i real estate.

Granted everything on tv isn't real, so maybe the buyHawai'i shows are faked, but I doubt the local news in Hawai'i is.

If what you say on this page is true, then you needn't worry about legal or illegal rentals as according to you all Hawaii and are millionaires who can afford any property they want in the islands.

Sheesh, you calling your own news sources liars?

Gee just looking at today's star advertiser, an article says ' Hawaiian earn less than US AVERAGE. ".
I guess that's all a hoax?????

If so, I don't want to hear at more about the "plights of the Hawaiian people ".

Last edited by galaxyhi; 04-11-2018 at 03:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 05:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

If so, I don't want to hear at more about the "plights of the Hawaiian people ".
Plights? Every state has homeless. Every state has lower income people. What fantasy land does not.

But, Hawaii does have the lowest wealth gap in the United States - the gap between the highest and lowest wage earners.

You seen to have this agenda of entitlement - and I don't subscribe to it. I don't believe just because you are born somewhere you should by birthright get rent control - if you can't afford it, move. If you are homeless, get a job (unless you are alcoholic, on drugs, or mentally ill - employers are hiring in Hawaii - if you are lazy, I have no sympathy for you).

I also don't believe just being born entitles you to affordable housing. Go to school - learn a trade. If you are going to work at McDonald's because you aren't qualified for anything else, then you should room with 8 other people.

And that silly Advertiser article - note, it includes everyone on Hawaii, so of course the Big Island, Maui, and Kauai are going to bring down the averages. If you are going to be a dishwasher at the Sheraton, then breaking news - don't expect high wages.

I do agree with one thing you said - I don't want to hear about the "plights" either - when you get yourself into a situation, I don't really want to hear you whine about it.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Plights? Every state has homeless. Every state has lower income people. What fantasy land does not.

But, Hawaii does have the lowest wealth gap in the United States - the gap between the highest and lowest wage earners.

You seen to have this agenda of entitlement - and I don't subscribe to it. I don't believe just because you are born somewhere you should by birthright get rent control - if you can't afford it, move. If you are homeless, get a job (unless you are alcoholic, on drugs, or mentally ill - employers are hiring in Hawaii - if you are lazy, I have no sympathy for you).

I also don't believe just being born entitles you to affordable housing. Go to school - learn a trade. If you are going to work at McDonald's because you aren't qualified for anything else, then you should room with 8 other people.

And that silly Advertiser article - note, it includes everyone on Hawaii, so of course the Big Island, Maui, and Kauai are going to bring down the averages. If you are going to be a dishwasher at the Sheraton, then breaking news - don't expect high wages.

I do agree with one thing you said - I don't want to hear about the "plights" either - when you get yourself into a situation, I don't really want to hear you whine about it.
I am new here. Just wondering if it is true that majority of mid to higher priced homes being bought today in Hawai'i are from the international and mainland buyers market?

Also,

Is it true that the homeless and drug addiction rates for Hawai'i was one of the lowest in the United States for many years? Excluding recent years of course?

Old 04-29-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGazer808 View Post
I am new here. Just wondering if it is true that majority of mid to higher priced homes being bought today in Hawai'i are from the international and mainland buyers market?

Also,

Is it true that the homeless and drug addiction rates for Hawai'i was one of the lowest in the United States for many years? Excluding recent years of course?
No. And doubt it.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:34 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,762 times
Quote:
If you lived here - then you'd know practically all of them.

This is not a high retiree state like Florida, California, Arizona, etc....

So much old money here - I'm hard pressed to think of any of my neighbors when I lived in Kailua or now in Kahala that came from the mainland.....
That's funny. I was born, raised, and still live in Kailua and the entire town is pactically transplants.

Are you from Hawaii or did you move here?

Old 05-03-2018, 04:38 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
We'll be out next month and will be looking at RE

Old 05-12-2018, 08:38 AM

80 posts, read 88,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGazer808 View Post

Also,

Not sure if there's anything that can definitively answer your first question, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. Look at the names of residents living in the newer expensive condos, not many sound local. A quick look at zillow and nearly half of houses listed are over $1M, most local wages cannot support such a mortgage. Even high-earners (engineers, lawyers, doctors, etc.) could be stretched thin at those prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
That's funny. I was born, raised, and still live in Kailua and the entire town is pactically transplants.

Are you from Hawaii or did you move here?

Agreed. Didn't grow up there but spent lots of my childhood there. It's funny how Kailua went from a quiet sleepy town that resisted change to what it is now.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg67 View Post
It's funny how Kailua went from a quiet sleepy town that resisted change to what it is now.
What is that even supposed to mean?

I started visiting Kailua in the mid-1990's. Lived there 2011-2016 (still rent out a home), and in Kahala now.
Besides the Target, which is fairly obnoxious but always crowded - it hasn't changed much at all in over 25 years.

It seems kind of silly to go back and be nostalgic about more than 25 years ago (and I don't know how far you have to go to get to the "sleepy town") - what place hasn't changed in that time frame?

Old 05-14-2018, 12:53 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,762 times
Quote:
What is that even supposed to mean?

I started visiting Kailua in the mid-1990's. Lived there 2011-2016 (still rent out a home), and in Kahala now.
Besides the Target, which is fairly obnoxious but always crowded - it hasn't changed much at all in over 25 years.
It seems kind of silly to go back and be nostalgic about more than 25 years ago (and I don't know how far you have to go to get to the "sleepy town") - what place hasn't changed in that time frame?
Hasn't changed much?

Whole foods, longs, the coming Ulta beauty, Macy's being reformed? Target? Nearly the entire downtown has been redesigned.

Then there's the transplants who have started buying up real estate to live their "Hawaiian" fantasy next to the other transplants. Half the houses on my block are mainlanders with a trustfund who don't have regular jobs. A few homes sit vacant for months out of the year and are vacation homes for the super wealthy. The majority of working class regular families have moved out. Drive around and you'll see older homes being fully reno'd/demo'd only for the house to sit vacant or it becomes an illegal vacation rental.

30 years ago there was no Airbnb, no VRBO, and the majority of homes were owner occupied and the families were part of the community. There defnitely wasn't empty houses or vacation rentals. Saying the town hasn't changed much in 25 years shows how little you know about Kailua.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post

Whole foods, longs, the coming Ulta beauty, Macy's being reformed? Target? Nearly the entire downtown has been redesigned.

30 years ago there was no Airbnb, no VRBO, and the majority of homes were owner occupied and the families were part of the community. There defnitely wasn't empty houses or vacation rentals. Saying the town hasn't changed much in 25 years shows how little you know about Kailua.
Nearly the "entire downtown" - seriously, you consider that stretch a "downtown"? What the heck is wrong with Whole Foods - Longs? That is the change you are bent out of shape about? The Macy's was a dump - finally putting a couple of decent restaurants in there. I do agree on Target - any Target/Walmart is an eyesore in my opinion.

Regardless - Kailua isn't much different than the mid-90's - but so what, and 30 years ago (a large percentage of the population wasn't even alive) - gosh, that is a real stretch - where has any place not changed. Kailua is fortunate - it has transformed a bit, but not even close to places in Maui - especially the Kaanapali area......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii