Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2018, 04:32 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,607,146 times

Advertisements

howzit friends,

I spent some years living in Hawaii and now live abroad where poke is absolutely not accessible. I have found a fish market here that has ahi and would like to make a go of making it myself, as it used to be a staple for me. I've obviously done a google search for recipes for my two favorite flavors, but would rather trust someone's tried and true recipe than some celebrity chef on foodnetwork.com. I have good access to pretty much every ingredient as well as Asian products here (in Spain). Can anyone share their favorite recipe for spicy ahi and sesame? Any other recipes or tips you have for making it yourself are welcome too!

Aloha

Last edited by wikiwikirunner; 04-12-2018 at 05:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 06:33 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,861,767 times
I learned how to make Poke a long time ago, by using the basic ingredients as a seasoning, but have adapted the quantities to "My Liking" over the years.

First, the important thing is to get the freshest Ahi you can get, and then just use the (I think) basic ingredients of:
soy sauce - green onions - sesame oil - fresh ginger - chile peppers - salt - sesame seeds - macadamia nuts

If you want my recipe, I do not have one per se!
I cook like "a bit of this and a bit of that" until it either tastes or smells good ...

Just some "tips" maybe?
Soy sauce - I have tried several kinds including the sweet soy sauce. I prefer the semi-sweet kind now.
chile peppers - I now just use a pinch of dried, crushed, red peppers (the lazy way!)

Oh, I use Romaine lettuce as the base ...

Since I live today in the middle of the USA, I have a hard time finding good fresh Ahi.
I have tried expensive tuna and it was not as good as I remember.
I hope this helps you?

LBNL ... I have also tried fresh shrimp (battered and deep-fried) and then I like to make the sauce a bit spicier and sweeter yet! ALso I used Tofu, instead of fish.
Sadly, some things can only be treasured as sweet, memories from a long time ago!

Old 04-14-2018, 03:10 PM

23 posts, read 43,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
ALso I used Tofu, instead of fish.
Sadly, some things can only be treasured as sweet, memories from a long time ago!
My sister actually concocted her own sauce for spicy ahi using a Tofu recipe! She basically kept mixing mayo w/ sriracha sauce (more sriracha = more spicy). Add tabiko for the "pop." It was pretty delicious, and much more spicy! Yum.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:45 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,861,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlylan08 View Post
using a Tofu recipe!
I found a certain brand and firmness of Tofu, that almost "feels" like fish!

Old 04-20-2018, 05:03 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,493,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I learned how to make Poke a long time ago, by using the basic ingredients as a seasoning, but have adapted the quantities to "My Liking" .....

First, the important thing is to get the freshest Ahi you can get, and then just use the (I think) basic ingredients of:
soy sauce - green onions - sesame oil - fresh ginger - chile peppers - salt - sesame seeds - macadamia nuts

If you want my recipe, I do not have one per se!
I cook like "a bit of this and a bit of that" until it either tastes or smells good ...

(Snip)

....since I live today in the middle of the USA, I have a hard time finding good fresh Ahi.
I have tried expensive tuna and it was not as good as I remember.
I hope this helps you?
!
That's about my recipe, except I never added ginger. I'm also a "little of this and that" cook who rarely measures unless for a specific recipe.

There are SEVERAL recipes online, pick one and adapt to your taste, not just foodnetwork.com. maybe here in the USA there are more poke recipes, than found in Spain on Spanish websites.

Also...irman...do you have a Wegman's grocery store somewhere near you? They have delicious fresh caught ahi. I found out what day it comes in, and appear first thing in the morning to get some. They also have another fresh caught tuna, that is just as good.

Find out which of your regional groceries carried it fresh, and what day it comes in, and go get you some!!

I live in upstate N.Y., and have no problem getting fresh tuna at Wegman's, but Wegman's is an east coast or north east coast grocery store only I think, not sure how far out west they go.

Poke and lomi lomi salmon are sooooooooooo good!
( I also get fresh salmon, the real salmon [ie NOT cheap] from weggys too.)

Good luck.

Have a great day.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:11 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
Out here in California the Safeway stores carry ahi poke now.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:16 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Out here in California the Safeway stores carry ahi poke now.
Although likely was frozen at some point. In my opinion, it tastes completely different if it’s been frozen

Old 04-21-2018, 11:59 AM

406 posts, read 866,248 times
We have a poke restaurant here in Dublin Ohio - Pokébap: a fresh way to create - I've only been there once and I had the Island Style. That's the first poke I've had so I'm no judge of poke, but it was very good. And it's only 1.7 miles from my house. The grocery store I shop at is in the same shopping center so I should stop in every time I shop for groceries.

Mickey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii