Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 02:22 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times

Advertisements

Yup, the BI isn't for everyone!

Cute gecko picture, 67Cam!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 10:30 AM

198 posts, read 386,835 times
The BI is too unmanageable. It has some good spots but they are far between each other.

If you want beauty go to Kauai, even though the north shore is closed past Hanalei due to the flooding.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:56 PM

19 posts, read 17,229 times
Thanks Everyone....as always, truly appreciate your inputs, including the suggestions and concerns.
All my flights are booked and I am onto the hotels currently, and it is expensive

Few more questions:
1. Any suggestions for cheaper options for Oahu and Maui specifically. Should I prefer one over the other between Airbnb and VRBO?

2. What would be the best place/s for snorkeling in these 4 islands?

3. Is the Helicopter ride worth the expense, and if so, any cheaper options?

4. Should I try any if the boat trips, like the submarine one?

5. Best places for kids ?

Thanks...the last stretch her for my planning and booking !!

Old 08-01-2018, 08:10 PM

294 posts, read 219,497 times
To answer your last few Q's, I love going for helicopter rides but I get sick so I limit myself to an hour or less and I do not go on questionable weather days. I only go on low wind days and that can be tricky if you have a large group. Getting one or two seats at the last minute on a calm day has worked out well for me. There is a campground with some cabins, Camp Olowalu is the name, it used to be a nasty place but has been renovated and getting some good reviews. I hope the locals can give some accurate updates on the true story. It is on the drier side of the island. I love snorkeling at Molokini but that is not free like many other places, you want to go there when the wind is not out of the north. Sometimes the boats cannot go there if the north winds are too strong. I like Olowalu and Black Rock and the reserve in south Maui. The locals can give better advice on that. I have taken the submarine ride many times and it is awesome. You are taken out on a boat to then transition onto the sub as the last group exits, I try to be the first one on the sub so I can sit next to the sub operator and can look out his/her huge window and see much more than the smaller windows, split your crew on each side and sit back to back You must be able to climb a ladder with hand rails to get in and out so prep your kids for that. Hit the farmers markets and enjoy some great fresh fruits and veggies. The road to Hana has many fruit stands, some are honor system so bring small bills and change. Also get GREAT banana bread on Keanae peninsula at Aunt Sandys, they run out sometimes so get there before noon. There are some restrooms at the ball field a little past Aunt Sandys.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:03 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,252,336 times
I would do two of the Islands, your Choice that way you can look around and compare. Other wise just rushing around to
see and Four Islands. You really won't SEE the Island to make a choice on if you like the Island or not? I would not go to Big Island this time around.
Good luck on your Vacation and itinerary

Old 09-20-2018, 03:27 PM

4 posts, read 3,698 times
Tantalus Lookout is a nice place to photograph Honolulu City lights at night. Google maps has some pictures you can look at. I go there any time someone new visits here.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:28 AM

181 posts, read 175,618 times
As far as accommodations go - I would go with VRBO over AirBnB. You'll save a ton of money over the cost of the hotels, resort fees, parking..etc. The downside is you wont have the benefit of eating at the hotel restaurant, calling room service or going to a swimming pool - you need to be a little more self sufficient as far as meals go. With AirBnB I have found them to be more of a way to 'couch surf'; just my impression. From a traveler and booking perspective, you have more information on the property by using VRBO.

If you want a full service hotel, use Priceline or Hotwire. You can save quite a bit that way and with a little bit of deduction - you can tell where you will end up. For example, just came back from the BI and needed 1 night in Kona before getting our VRBO. got a room at the Royal Kona Resort and did it through Priceline. The rack rate was $155 and I paid $94. when I got to the hotel, they offered me an upgrade for $30 and I snagged a top floor ocean view corner suite. - total bargain.

for cars, look online, dont use the big aggregators to book it. I think I went through a small island based company - thrifty car rental and got a full size car cheap.

I've been to all of the islands except Molokai and they all have their own beauty. We just bought a house on the Big Island - both because of the price and for the diversity of the BI. It may have a slower pace than the other islands but there is plenty to see.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:00 PM

4 posts, read 3,698 times
Another site is Home Away. Same listings as VRBO but I find it easier to find properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii