Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 10:28 AM

139 posts, read 180,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Well, it isn't exactly just "your body" because you, as a smoker, i.e. drug addict, spew your disgusting, toxic, unhealthy filth into the air normal people are breathing.

Why don't you just grind tobacco up to a fine powder and snort it, i.e. "snuff". That way, you can stoke your addiction without taking the risk that somebody who takes offense at you polluting the air she is breathing.....
Weak argument.

Cars emit "disgusting, toxic, unhealthy filth into the air normal people are breathing."

Why don't they walk or ride a bike?

Women and men that use perfumes and cologne emit "disgusting, toxic, unhealthy filth into the air normal people are breathing."

Why don't they stay inside when they wear so much fragrance?

People whose identities are tied to political groups emit "disgusting, toxic, unhealthy filth into the air normal people are breathing."

Why don't they keep there opinions to themselves, and just quietly and intelligently vote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 08:28 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,553,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantastic View Post
Weak argument.

Cars emit "disgusting, toxic, unhealthy filth into the air normal people are breathing."

Why don't they walk or ride a bike?

Women and men that use perfumes and cologne emit "disgusting, toxic, unhealthy filth into the air normal people are breathing."

Why don't they stay inside when they wear so much fragrance?

People whose identities are tied to political groups emit "disgusting, toxic, unhealthy filth into the air normal people are breathing."

Why don't they keep there opinions to themselves, and just quietly and intelligently vote?
Cars do nothing of the sort. YOUR car may stink, but then most people don't use their as a loo.

Fragrances are designed, at the cost of many Millions of $ to smell nice, NOT disgusting. That's strike 2 in case you want to keep score.

I supposed to keep my opinion to myself on a forum about expressing opinions. Strike 3, you're out..

Old 02-14-2019, 12:28 PM

139 posts, read 180,546 times
Quote:
Cars do nothing of the sort. YOUR car may stink, but then most people don't use their as a loo.

Fragrances are designed, at the cost of many Millions of $ to smell nice, NOT disgusting. That's strike 2 in case you want to keep score.

I supposed to keep my opinion to myself on a forum about expressing opinions. Strike 3, you're out..

Old 02-15-2019, 07:40 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,321,287 times
Quote:
Well, it isn't exactly just "your body" because you, as a smoker, i.e. drug addict, spew your disgusting, toxic, unhealthy filth into the air normal people are breathing.

Why don't you just grind tobacco up to a fine powder and snort it, i.e. "snuff". That way, you can stoke your addiction without taking the risk that somebody who takes offense at you polluting the air she is breathing.....
Then you do what I do, slowdown a little until I can't smell the smoke or I take another route. I am not a fan of smoking and will not do it myself but I am not going to tell another person how to live their life and what they can and can't put into their bodies.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:12 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
Then you do what I do,. but I am not going to tell another person how to live their life
If you are saying "Do what you do" - aren't you telling other people how to live their lives?

Old 02-15-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
Then you do what I do, slowdown a little until I can't smell the smoke or I take another route. I am not a fan of smoking and will not do it myself but I am not going to tell another person how to live their life and what they can and can't put into their bodies.

You don't get it at all. It is not up to the majority to maneuver to avoid the noxious poison spewed wantonly by tobacco addicts. It is up to them to keep their filth to themselves and NOT inflict it upon others. Just like it not up to the people to wear helmets on New Years, it is up to those so inclined, NOT to shoot their guns in the air. As the expression goes, your right to swing your fists ends at the other fellow's nose. It is quite simple.

Nobody is telling anyone how to live their lives or put into THEIR bodies.

What society IS demanding is that smoker-swine keep their filthy, noxious stench to their filthy stinking selves. Just like it isn't OK for them to scatter their butts on the ground, in lakes rivers and oceans etc.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:39 PM

10,548 posts, read 7,743,046 times
Quote:
Cars do nothing of the sort.
Good gawd man! https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/ai...we-should-care

Old 02-19-2019, 10:21 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,018 times
A ban in public spaces may be acceptable, as second hand smoke is a real danger, but people should be able to do what they want in their own homes and cars.

A reasonable balance must be struck between personal freedom anc the “greater good”. When in doubt, err on the side of personal freedom. Freedom is generally good in and of itself.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
A ban in public spaces may be acceptable, as second hand smoke is a real danger, but people should be able to do what they want in their own homes and cars.

A reasonable balance must be struck between personal freedom anc the “greater good”. When in doubt, err on the side of personal freedom. Freedom is generally good in and of itself.
Yes, the personal freedom to not be assaulted with toxic, noxious tobacco effluent. Yes, the personal freedom to breath the air, to sustain life. Yep, personal freedom, not filthy, vile drug effluent spewn into the air with utter dis concern for everyone else.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:59 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,018 times
Quote:
Yes, the personal freedom to not be assaulted with toxic, noxious tobacco effluent. Yes, the personal freedom to breath the air, to sustain life. Yep, personal freedom, not filthy, vile drug effluent spewn into the air with utter dis concern for everyone else.
Well, I DID say a ban in public spaces while allowing smoking in personal homes and cars would be a good compromise.

The solution to most (but not all) problems lies in the middle between two extreme "solutions".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii