Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 08:16 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,875 times

Advertisements

I’ve been considering my options for a move out to hawaii and have come up with 3 solutions.

The first is to work 19 more years here in Shreveport until I’ve paid off my house and can rent it out and also be able to draw a pension from the louisiana teacher’s retirement fund. (this is such a long wait!)

The next is moving into a house like this that costs 279k, and renting out the other rooms to teachers even as I rent out my old shreveport home. Since big island teachers make slightly less than teachers do in Shreveport despite the doubled cost of living, I’d need to seriously watch my money to make this work. (this is a little risky since the income from my rentals could easily become a liability if I can’t find good tenants or a good property management company)

The third option is to get a masters (or possibly a doctorate) to allow me teach at UH hilo and make the non-high demand salary of $68,100-$79,500 or the high demand salary of $85,896-$100,284. With that kind of money, I’d not notice a change in cost of living. In the case scenario, I could pay off a cheaper big island house in 10 years or so and start working towards other goals I have like getting refractive eye surgery or looking to find a wife to start a family.

I’d imagine engineering counts as a high demand field, as would data science, but ideally, I’m looking for cheap fast post-grad programs.

Law school is interesting, but I bet that’s pretty cutthroat and am not sure if I’m ready for that kind of risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 02:15 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,278,653 times
You have a lot of choices in life. How do you know you would like to move to Hawaii in the future? Have you visited Hawaii several times? The cost of living in Hawaii is very high and the quality of healthcare is very low. It’s very isolated too, so your extended family and friends will likely never visit you.

Since you have 19 years left in your mortgage, I assume you have a 30 year mortgage. It’s possible to pay off the mortgage early by adding more principle payments. We paid off our 15 year mortgage in 10 years by paying more on the principle.

Getting a masters or PhD degree is an expensive proposition. There’s quite a bit of financial risk incurred from the cost of the education and possibly the loss of income while attending college.

There are many high tech job opportunities that offer high income, and a shorter and less costly path to the education. There are low cost and no cost education on the Internet for IT. It’s possible to educate yourself for a very low cost to be able to qualify for some IT jobs. You could check the free code camp site, free university courses from MIT, Harvard, and other Universities, and sites like Udemy. It’s easier to get an IT job with a traditional 4 year computer science degree, but it’s also possible with alternative, far less expensive education. It can take 5 to 15 years to get to six figures in IT. There are full time and part time job opportunities in IT. Companies are hungry for IT workers now. The IT job market is very hot, and will likely be a hot field for a long time. I used to work in IT, but I saved enough money to retire early, and no longer needed to work.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:54 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,676,166 times
Option #1 — the most sensible and the only realistic option.

Option #2 — ummm, do you have the money to qualify for a house in Hawaii without selling your house in Louisiana?

Option#3 — grasping at straws. Putting in the time and money for an advanced degree in some field you probably have no interest in, just to be able to move to Hawaii? Sounds like the guy who wants to move to Hawaii and make his millions being a deck hand.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:33 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Please come back in 19 years.

You don’t present yourself as “high demand” I’m not sure you present yourself as “low demand” even by Hawaii standards which are really low.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:10 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
You have a lot of choices in life. How do you know you would like to move to Hawaii in the future? Have you visited Hawaii several times? The cost of living in Hawaii is very high and the quality of healthcare is very low. It’s very isolated too, so your extended family and friends will likely never visit you.

Since you have 19 years left in your mortgage, I assume you have a 30 year mortgage. It’s possible to pay off the mortgage early by adding more principle payments. We paid off our 15 year mortgage in 10 years by paying more on the principle.

Getting a masters or PhD degree is an expensive proposition. There’s quite a bit of financial risk incurred from the cost of the education and possibly the loss of income while attending college.

There are many high tech job opportunities that offer high income, and a shorter and less costly path to the education. There are low cost and no cost education on the Internet for IT. It’s possible to educate yourself for a very low cost to be able to qualify for some IT jobs. You could check the free code camp site, free university courses from MIT, Harvard, and other Universities, and sites like Udemy. It’s easier to get an IT job with a traditional 4 year computer science degree, but it’s also possible with alternative, far less expensive education. It can take 5 to 15 years to get to six figures in IT. There are full time and part time job opportunities in IT. Companies are hungry for IT workers now. The IT job market is very hot, and will likely be a hot field for a long time. I used to work in IT, but I saved enough money to retire early, and no longer needed to work.
Except my mother, I’ve lost all my friends and family in a series of tragic accidents. I’m also an asexual aromantic man who plans on staying single, so its literally just my poodles and me. My mother can facetime me on her iphone if she misses me. The only reason I might marry somebody would be for money and even then, I’d need to like spending time with them. That said, I’ll look at the free code camp site, free university courses from MIT, Harvard, and other Universities, and sites like Udemy to see about doing coding part time. I’m so nearsighted that without my glasses, I can’t see anything further than 4 inches from either eye, making even reading uncomfortable. I’ll also look into getting that fixed with refractive surgery since when my eyes got like this in puberty around the same time I got depression, I’ve been really sedentary and got really fat. My glasses help my vision enough I can drive, but its still not very good distance vision with correction. They only get my visual acuity up to 20/30 despite being really thick.

Hawaii isn’t the only place I’ve been looking—I’ve looked for any place that is near a beach, and isn’t particularly hot or cold. Nairobi and Quito come to mind as places with good weather. One thing those places have going for them are how cheap they are, but they are also international places and the immigration process is a bit of a headache. Honestly, despite the expense, the big island of hawaii gives me everything I could want, so I’m leaning towards it despite the cost.

I honestly just want out of Shreveport. The summers are unbearable and while the winters are tolerable, they get too cold to do water aerobics, which is the only exercise I can stand with my weight and joint problems. I’ve also noticed the people here self-segregate into white skin and black skin groups and the white-skinned people don’t like the black-skinned people and the black-skinned people don’t like the white-skinned people. There also isn’t a lot of free/cheap stuff to do for entertainment here besides netflix, movies, and a few restaurants. I know a bunch of older people who gripe nonstop about how much they hate shreveport but they’ve never left. I don’t want to be one of those people who constantly talk about getting out of here but never do—even if I don’t leave for another 19 years.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:19 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,278,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Except my mother, I’ve lost all my friends and family in a series of tragic accidents. I’m also an asexual aromantic man who plans on staying single, so its literally just my poodles and me. My mother can facetime me on her iphone if she misses me. The only reason I might marry somebody would be for money and even then, I’d need to like spending time with them. That said, I’ll look at the free code camp site, free university courses from MIT, Harvard, and other Universities, and sites like Udemy to see about doing coding part time. I’m so nearsighted that without my glasses, I can’t see anything further than 4 inches from either eye, making even reading uncomfortable. I’ll also look into getting that fixed with refractive surgery since when my eyes got like this in puberty around the same time I got depression, I’ve been really sedentary and got really fat. My glasses help my vision enough I can drive, but its still not very good distance vision with correction. They only get my visual acuity up to 20/30 despite being really thick.

Hawaii isn’t the only place I’ve been looking—I’ve looked for any place that is near a beach, and isn’t particularly hot or cold. Nairobi and Quito come to mind as places with good weather. One thing those places have going for them are how cheap they are, but they are also international places and the immigration process is a bit of a headache. Honestly, despite the expense, the big island of hawaii gives me everything I could want, so I’m leaning towards it despite the cost.

I honestly just want out of Shreveport. The summers are unbearable and while the winters are tolerable, they get too cold to do water aerobics, which is the only exercise I can stand with my weight and joint problems. I’ve also noticed the people here self-segregate into white skin and black skin groups and the white-skinned people don’t like the black-skinned people and the black-skinned people don’t like the white-skinned people. There also isn’t a lot of free/cheap stuff to do for entertainment here besides netflix, movies, and a few restaurants. I know a bunch of older people who gripe nonstop about how much they hate shreveport but they’ve never left. I don’t want to be one of those people who constantly talk about getting out of here but never do—even if I don’t leave for another 19 years.
If Shreveport is too hot and humid in the summers, but tolerable in the winters, then Hawaii might be too hot and humid for you. You can improve your life by losing weight and improving your health. You can learn about how to improve your health and lose weight by searching for Keto and intermittent fasting on YouTube. Losing weight is all about what you eat and don’t eat, plus when you eat and don’t eat.

There are a lot of problems that can occur when Americans attempt to live overseas. You’d need to research those places and visit those places many times.

The vast majority of people, about 95%, that move to Hawaii only last 1 to 2 years in Hawaii until they have to return to the mainland, many are financially ruined. Be careful about dreaming about moving to Hawaii, sometimes those dreams become a nightmare!

Old 02-25-2019, 02:16 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Mortgage on the house you mentioned would run about $1,300 to $1,500 a year when property taxes and insurance is added in. Starting teacher salaries run about $50K a year. Deduct 15% for taxes, that leaves about $3,500 per month, take out the $1,500 for mortgage and that's $500 a week for food, phone and transportation. See if there's a job at Pauuilo school, you'd be able to walk to work. Then, while you're teaching at Pauuilo, you can work on the college professership courses.

Hawaii teachers get medical, dental and vision so you'd be able to get your eyes fixed once you were teaching.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:03 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Mortgage on the house you mentioned would run about $1,300 to $1,500 a year when property taxes and insurance is added in. Starting teacher salaries run about $50K a year. Deduct 15% for taxes, that leaves about $3,500 per month, take out the $1,500 for mortgage and that's $500 a week for food, phone and transportation. See if there's a job at Pauuilo school, you'd be able to walk to work. Then, while you're teaching at Pauuilo, you can work on the college professership courses.

Hawaii teachers get medical, dental and vision so you'd be able to get your eyes fixed once you were teaching.
Medical, dental, vision are not cheap - unlike the private sector where it is practically free, union employees are exempt from the near free healthcare laws in Hawaii.

Teachers start at about $36K for no masters, you'll need to complete a state approved education program to get to $48K.

A $250,000 house with 10% down and completely debt free still requires an income typically above $60K/year for the bank to qualify you

Old 02-26-2019, 02:30 AM

172 posts, read 146,608 times
As I recall you don't get to pick and choose what school, or what grade you teach. You will be assigned a school based on need. That basically means the teachers with seniority occupy the best positions and the ones with the least get the least desirable positions. Think 7th to 8th grade at Waianae type openings.

There is a definitive reason there is a teacher shortage here. The pay sucks and it can be a miserable, thankless job. As mentioned above you will need to complete a State-approved education program as well.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:04 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,392,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post

money shouldnt be the only reason you marry someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: