Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 02:39 PM

6 posts, read 8,464 times

Advertisements

I noticed at a website that there aren't many jobs for LPNs in Hawaii.
LPNs are nurses for mainly senior homes that require only 1 year of study.

But are there many jobs for RNs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 05:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Change your mind about being a computer analyst or developer?

Old 06-05-2019, 07:03 PM

6 posts, read 8,464 times
Looking at options first before deciding.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:23 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,748 times
there was a huge nursing shortage on oahu years ago. in response, everyone and their kid brother went into nursing and i think there still is an oversupply of nurses.

if you went into the field you're likely to find employment, it just might not be a super high paying nursing job. you might be taking a lower position. Old article below, but examples:

The lack of jobs in Hawaii drives graduates away, which could hurt future demand.

New nurses in Hawaii are finding it difficult to land jobs in their field despite increasing demand for medical services.

The tight employment market has left many registered nurses working in lower-level health care positions such as nurse aides or medical secretaries as a way to gain experience.
Evalani Kim, 36, recently got a registered-nurse job at the Queen’s Medical Center, though she graduated nearly a year ago and had applied for positions in seven other states. She said she landed the position because she happened to know a manager at the hospital from a previous internship.

“It’s extremely competitive. You pretty much have to be an internal employee … to even have the possibility of getting a nursing position. That’s one reason why I already had my mind set on going to the mainland and working,” she said. “It’s like winning the lottery. You’ve got to pick the right numbers, be at the right place at the right time and know the right people. Everything has to fall into place.”

Jennifer Scott, 27, who graduated from nursing school last fall, was one in a class of about 70 graduates to get hired as an nurse in just three months.

https://nursing.hawaii.edu/new-nurse...ar-advertiser/

Old 06-06-2019, 07:42 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
I don't know if that article from 5 years ago is still accurate. They are so desperate for nurses on the Big Island that they hire them through a service that sends temp nurses from the mainland. Paying housing, travel, per diem in addition to wages.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:59 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
The use of Travel Nurses on the BI is less about a shortage than the unwillingness to pay decent wages to attracts RN’s to the BI. If I’m a nurse, possibly saddled with significant student loans, do I want to make $70k in Hilo or over $100K most other places including Honolulu. It’s easy to use accounting tricks to justify travel nurses

Old 06-07-2019, 04:59 PM

According to the web sites I looked at nursing jobs in Hilo pay roughly the same as Honolulu (but Hilo has substantially lower cost of living). For example:

https://www.topregisterednurse.com/salary/hawaii/

Nurses generally make 6 figures because of OT.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:44 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
According to the web sites I looked at nursing jobs in Hilo pay roughly the same as Honolulu (but Hilo has substantially lower cost of living). For example:

https://www.topregisterednurse.com/salary/hawaii/

Nurses generally make 6 figures because of OT.
From my understanding, it's generally not the PAY for RNs that's the issue, it's actually getting the full time job, which will pay at 40/hour or whatever plus OT.

It goes back to my article where either people are very lucky or they take lower position CNA and LPN for years before getting their shot at the coveted RN job. As far as I know, this hasn't changed, especially with the push to drive down costs. Hospitals and clinics are attempting to use nurse aid if possible instead of nurses. Nurses if possible instead of doctors, etc. The business model is to staff with an army of LPNs for every couple nurses for every doctor.

As far as the problem with the BI, there's probably a RN shortage because the clinics are attempting to hire RNs and pay them like LPNs. So RNs are heading to the mainland for greener pastures, leaving with a shortage. They'd rather temp hire travel nurses for short term assignments than pay permanents salary plus benefits to a full time staff. It's cheaper, even when considering meals and lodging allowances.

Last edited by rya96797; 06-07-2019 at 05:53 PM..

Old 06-08-2019, 11:41 AM

That's not how the system works. My daughter is a CNA at Queens Medical Center as she works her way through medical school. The reason why they have so many "part time" nurses, CNAs, etc is because they need to guarantee minimum hours, however most of these people are begged to work overtime. Where my daughter works everybody has their temperature taken before their shift. If somebody's temperature is even a little bit high they aren't allowed to work. They need a pool of employees to draw from to replace these individuals because they literally have to shut down departments if they can't meet minimum staffing levels, which they flirt with all the time due to hiring shortages. And then there are people who call in sick, get injured, go on vacation, etc. It's not like working in an office where if a filing clerk calls in sick nobody really misses them. If too many people are out at the hospital they have to start diverting ambulances etc. The positions you see posted are "labels" and not the reality of what these people are working and the money they make.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:54 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,481,880 times
Does anyone know how competitive it is to get a job at Queens Medical Center as an experienced (5 years)registered nurse? I have been considering this for some time, and left a few messages to their HR, never to hear anything. My experience is ICU, ER, Trauma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii