Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 06:43 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelackof View Post
3. Can I build a hut somewhere in the forests and be left alone? Or is all land privately owned and aggressively defended?
And what will you do for a bathroom, just go in the woods? That sort of thing worked 50 years ago but not now, at least not on Maui. Whether someone is "aggressive" defending his property is not the issue - you would be trespassing which is just not pono.

Quote:
5. Are there fresh water springs on the islands that I could drink from?
Not if you value your health. There is a thing here called Angiostrongyliasis - Rat lungworm. Horrible disease that is carried by slugs and their slime. It gets in fresh water and shell fish.

Quote:
9. If I were sleeping outside with no shelter, what might be some insects or animals that could pose as dangerous threats?
The local tweakers.

Quote:
10. Does food grow easy on the islands? I want to plant fruits and vegetables.
If you like bananas, they are everywhere. See comment above about Angiostrongyliasis for any garden vegetable. Most gardens need water which will be hard to find unless you camp on the windward side, which will then be probably too much rain and mud to be comfortable.

Quote:
12. Any other information I may need to know about?
The homeless, on Maui at least, are not living so easy. They get chased out of the bush camps by the police who then mow down the brush so they cannot return. There is constant crime and drugs, you stand a good chance of being a victim. If you think living in Hawaii homeless is like camping in the woods, think again. It looks like a nightmare to me. My recommendation is don't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 07:51 PM

25 posts, read 40,035 times
Please people, my original post mentioned how i am not interested in personal opinions. This is my choice, i have been doing this for a long time. Please resort to answering my questions based on the information and i have given and not based on personal opinions or hopes.

Yes, i have been covered with dirt and mud and have slept that way. Yes, i have slept open on the ground in dense woods with bobcats, possoms, raccoons, big fat spiders, mice and wild boar, and with the possibility of alligators.

I dig a hole and take a dump in it. I cover the dump with dug out dirt and continue to poop in the same hole until it is filled with dirt, then i dig a new hole.

I buy bikes. I bike about 15 miles per day on average and some times up to about 40 to 50 miles. I thoroughly enjoy this.

As i said, i am not homeless. I live on Earth.
I dont dig through trash for food, i dont go in the woods and drink my sorrows away, i dont hold signs saying "help me".

I do hold signs that say "traveller, spirit, vegan" and people help me eith charity.
I do not blow charity on jewelry. I have warn one pair of clothes for the last 5 months and i wash it on my body.

I am tan, my hair is bleached by the sun, i am healthy, very intelligent and i try my best to be kind to all things living.

I am not some problem.

I just want others to realize that when i read the repeating lines like "you will suffer" etc, i say out loud "ughhh" because it gets old.

Just looking for answers to my questions and that is all folks.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:50 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
WWOOFing might be a good starting point, even if you're not there for very long. You'd learn how to grow things in the sub-tropics and have a place to start from. Depending on who you WWOOF for, you may or may not have to work all that much each day. Most of it is gardening stuff you'd want to learn how to do anyway, if you're planning on growing things. As a WWOOFer, you have a starting space to be and from there you can explore and see how it would be without a base camp to work from. Frequently there will be more than one WWOOFer on a farm so you'd have folks to meet and interact with as well.

FWIW, I'm seeing less charity around here. Hmm, well, it may be the same amount of charity but more people asking for it. Where we used to have one or three folks without homes who everyone knew and would help out here and there, now there's a dozen or more and folks aren't so charitable anymore. You give to one and there's three more with their hands out.

But, do as you want, although it might be wise to make sure you have the ability to get back to the mainland in case you want to.

I used to live over on the far side of Pahoa. While driving to and from Hilo, I'd see the new hitchhiking people without cars who had just come over from the mainland and from the looks of them, some of them were without homes as well. When they first showed up, they'd be plump, shiny hair, happy and perky. After about a year, they'd be much thinner, dry scruffy hair, frayed clothes, depressed and scaly looking. Kinda like they became a lizard person. Not sure why. I never saw one get plumper and shinier or happier over time. Of course, that won't happen to you. Maybe being a bicycle person instead of a hitchhiking person will make a difference.

Old 07-30-2019, 03:40 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
This is one of the most entertaining threads I've read. The OP is actually thinking these things. I don't live in Hawaii and have only visited once and even I know this is bat**** insane.

Old 07-30-2019, 05:42 AM

672 posts, read 442,570 times
I flew out to Maui for a week with my camping gear, walked to Wal-Mart and bought a bicycle and toured the island camping where I could. It was fun and I had minimal problems. I really enjoyed getting out of the tourist areas and seeing where the locals lived. When I left I sold the bike to a local for cheap. I would not want to make it my lifestyle. Good luck.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:05 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Quote:
Please people, my original post mentioned how i am not interested in personal opinions. This is my choice, i have been doing this for a long time. Please resort to answering my questions based on the information and i have given and not based on personal opinions or hopes.

Yes, i have been covered with dirt and mud and have slept that way. Yes, i have slept open on the ground in dense woods with bobcats, possoms, raccoons, big fat spiders, mice and wild boar, and with the possibility of alligators.

I dig a hole and take a dump in it. I cover the dump with dug out dirt and continue to poop in the same hole until it is filled with dirt, then i dig a new hole.

I buy bikes. I bike about 15 miles per day on average and some times up to about 40 to 50 miles. I thoroughly enjoy this.

As i said, i am not homeless. I live on Earth.
I dont dig through trash for food, i dont go in the woods and drink my sorrows away, i dont hold signs saying "help me".

I do hold signs that say "traveller, spirit, vegan" and people help me eith charity.
I do not blow charity on jewelry. I have warn one pair of clothes for the last 5 months and i wash it on my body.

I am tan, my hair is bleached by the sun, i am healthy, very intelligent and i try my best to be kind to all things living.

I am not some problem.

I just want others to realize that when i read the repeating lines like "you will suffer" etc, i say out loud "ughhh" because it gets old.

Just looking for answers to my questions and that is all folks.
Well, I did try to answer your questions honestly. Sorry my answers weren’t what you wanted.

Truthfully, your lifestyle is foreign to most of us who post here. We can only respond from our perspective. You call it judgmental, but it’s what we can offer. There are plenty of homeless people on all of the islands, and they have had a negative impact. Especially those camping on the sidewalks in Honolulu. Yes, I understand that you may be different, but again it’s what we know.

And there are too many people here in the rural areas of the BI who choose to squat in vacant houses, cause damage, and then can’t be evicted. We don’t want to encourage more homeless people to move here.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:27 PM

206 posts, read 186,310 times
Puna, Big Island.

Have fun!

Old 08-03-2019, 01:21 PM

16 posts, read 11,836 times
Have some way back to the m as inland prepared. In case you change your mind.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:05 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Hi people, I am an outdoor traveler.
I sold everything I own including my vehicle in order to live outside, travel and see the good and bad of the world.
This is my choice and has nothing to do with the approval of others.

I am a kind person, honest, I hate plastic, I mind my own business....

I have helped addicts to become sober and I have helped homeless people to clean up after themselves and get back on their feet.

So.. not all "homeless" people are the same.

In fact, I don't consider my self homeless at all. It's just a word that others will associate to me anyway, but truly, I love on this great Earth.

So... I read all in to the islands years ago when I was going to move there and work a job.

but that was so long ago. I have new questions now if you all would be kind to help me with some answers!!

1. Someone told my that native villagers do not like caucasians.. I find this hard to believe. Please, what are the details on this?

2. I am a very spiritual person. I seek God in my life and I do so in private. Is there are spiritual presence around the islands or does tourism outweigh the light?

3. Can I build a hut somewhere in the forests and be left alone? Or is all land privately owned and aggressively defended?

4. I read years ago about meth and gangs being a big thing on some of the islands. True?

5. Are there fresh water springs on the islands that I could drink from?

6. Is it easy to get a job at a hotel? I have hotel bell service and valet experience, and although I would prefer to mind to my business in nature, I am still wondering about the options of getting a job at a hotel.

7. Is there a large or small vegan/vegetarian presence on the islands?

8. Could I kayak easily between the islands?

9. If I were sleeping outside with no shelter, what might be some insects or animals that could pose as dangerous threats?

10. Does food grow easy on the islands? I want to plant fruits and vegetables.

11. What do you think about fukushima and any current radiation problems?

12. Any other information I may need to know about?

Thank you!
You'd be much better off in Arizona near Blythe, CA.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:52 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
You'd be much better off in Arizona near Blythe, CA.
Hawaii would be much better off, too!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii