Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 07:08 PM

7 posts, read 16,955 times

Advertisements

We are looking into remodeling the kitchen in our single wall Hicks home. The walls are solid, no cracks or separation in the tongue and groove boards. My question is how do you securely hang the wall cabinets? With the walls being so thin the screws would penetrate less than an inch into the wall. Is this enough to secure a cabinet loaded with dishes? It would help if they could be screwed to a ceiling joist but the cabinets that run parallel to the joists would only have the canec ceiling panel to screw into unless I were to get into the attic and add some bracing between the joists. The original cabinets look like they were assembled in place, no frame or box, just end panels, shelves and doors. Any input appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 02:50 AM

11,047 posts, read 23,860,003 times
Hey! We have a Hicks Home #690! Lovely place. The original cabinets were assembled in place and they're much sturdier than any new cabinet you can get unless you have them built on site like they used to.

We just hung some cabinets in a single wall house (not the Hick's Home, but same type of construction). The single walls are about an inch thick and they're solid wood, so there's quite a bit there to attach to. Use a screw that will go into the wood 3/4" after it's cleared whatever depth of the new cabinet. Use a few extra ones and it should do fine.

If the edges of your cabinet can be screwed into, you also have the option of screwing in from the outside of the wall and into the cabinet frame. Locate where the screws should go, drill a hole through the wall - sometimes sticking a nail through the hole makes it easier to locate the hole from the other side of the wall. Screw the cabinet to the wall and then paint over the screw from the outside to keep water from going in. Usually there's enough overhand on a Hick's Home that the screws from the outside shouldn't be a problem. Or use a nail gun, if you don't want to use screws.

It's really hard to find canec anymore, so hopefully that won't be damaged during the installation.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:51 AM

64 posts, read 61,095 times
You should consider converting the walls that will have cabinets into double wall. Just build a simple 2x4 frame wall and attach to the existing exterior boards and then finish with drywall. In addition to the added structural strength you will be able to run all of your plumbing and electric inside the walls. It also makes installing new windows and doors a lot easier. You may only have to install one or two stud walls depending on the layout. I did a bathroom and kitchen with only one double wall in each room and it looks great with the existing single walls.

Old 12-15-2019, 03:13 AM

I dunno, the OP has canec ceilings. Don't think it'd be very easy to put in the top plate for the wall without destroying or damaging the canec. Which then turns a "hanging a cabinet on the wall" project into a "build the double wall and replace the ceiling and then hang the cabinet onto the wall" project.

We're in the middle of a major reno of a single wall house and it seems like every time we do one thing, four other things have to be done or fixed first.

Old 12-15-2019, 04:17 AM

64 posts, read 61,095 times
If it’s an exterior wall the top 4x4 beam is the top plate. Just add a bottom plate and toenail the studs in. You can trim the existing ceiling where it meets the new wall with quarter round. This is a very simple project and it’s the right way to hang hundreds of pounds of cabinetry on a wall. The added structure is necessary for a modern kitchen. Where are you going to run electrical on your single wall? Surface mount boxes for outlets, switches and wood conduit to hide the wires? Better to make the improvements upfront rather than work around a problem.

Old 12-15-2019, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Hotzcatz, the original cabinets are very sturdy and we were thinking about just stripping and refinishing the wall cabinets with new hinges and buying new base cabinets and counters. Only issue is matching the new cabinets with the old so it doesnt look too off.

eastside14, I was actually thinking of converting the whole house, 2 story, to double wall. Youre right the top beam could be used as the top plate, just add bottom plate and studs. The surface mounted electrical and outlets is going to be an issue with adding a nice back splash. The plumbing is hidden in the floor and drains through the wall.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:16 PM

hotzcatz, I read your post from 2011 with an explanation of the different building styles of these homes. Can you clarify what a hipped roof and dutch hip is? Our attic has no ventilation except for vents at the eaves and I want to put something in to cool the attic down. Solar vent I would imagine. Also our Hicks home is #655. Thanks

Last edited by Nasty33; 12-15-2019 at 06:25 PM..

Old 12-15-2019, 10:11 PM

A hip roof is one that slopes down on all four sides. Many of the Hicks Homes were built with hipped roofs. It's a nice stable shape and can use smaller lumber sizes.

A gable roof is one that only slopes down on two sides. If a kid draws a house, typically it will be drawn with a gable roof.

A Dutch hip is a combination roof that has a little bit of gable roof up at each end of the top ridge. That is for a vent, although sometimes they build them that way just for looks and seem to forget to install the vent.

There isn't a whole lot online about Hicks Homes, which is kinda odd when you know how many of them are around! Does your model have a hip roof or gable roof? If it has a gable roof, it would be pretty easy to put a vent up in the gable ends. If you have a hip roof, it can still be done, but would be a bit more intricate.

Old 12-16-2019, 12:37 AM

Here is what our roof looks like. The two back ridges are lower than the front of the house. The higher ridge in the middle is where I was thinking of installing a couple solar vents. I think I remember the rafters being 2x4(?).
Agree there is not a lot of info online, my search is what led me to this forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Remodel in Single Wall Home-roof.jpg  

Old 12-16-2019, 01:45 AM

The picture in your post above is a fairly complicated hip roof. But with a complicated roof, the spans are smaller. 2"x4"s are pretty small for rafters, but in Hick's Homes and with smaller spans, they very well could be 2"x4"s.

For ventilating an attic, there's several options. The Dutch hip vents are quiet and have no motors. There's some ridge vent systems which are also passive systems. (i.e. no motors). There's some big fans and such, but some of those are noisy.

The attic ventilation is to cool off the house? Probably the easiest answer to cooling off the house would be to insulate the attic. That can be the fiberglass insulation batts laid down in the attic area. No carpentry necessary, no modifications at all. Possibly the easiest to install answer. The other thing to make the attic cooler would be to paint the roof white. There's a roof paint called 'sno-coat' which is a nice blazing white and which will reflect a lot of the heat away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii