Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 11:40 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,776,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
Lets also keep in mind that only the most severely sick are getting tested, skewing the mortality numbers. I'm guessing that the % is much lower than reported if you include the people that have no idea they had the corona. It will go down to flu levels once a vaccine is created.
Yes, this ^^^ is true. I just saw numbers out of South Korea which tested everyone with a sniffle and the percent of people who died, out of confirmed cases, was 0.7%.

South Korea also said their rate of new cases is slowing down and they believe they have passed the peak. Same with the Chinese. So it is certainly seems possible to win this battle.

I also believe we will see more cases on all the islands and probably some deaths too. But it will pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 03:46 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Hard to say at this time because this Corona is, as they say, novel.

But, last I saw the calculated R0 number , which is a value assigned that shows infection potential, is higher for Coronavirus. Somewhere between 2 and 3. That is, every one person who acquires is likely to pass on to 2 people or more.
I just saw that as well, 2.2 for Corona versus 1.3 for flu - although they point out the flu shot keeps the R0 much lower for flu.

Saw on the news again today - more people are weighing in there is a decent chance warm weather will help contain this and in theory, if it manifests itself again (like the deadly Spanish flu did, seasonal across a few winters) there should be a vaccine finally ready.

I'm starting to get tired of 2,000 point Dow stock drops.

I do find it crazy with all the technology we have, supercomputers, etc - that it will take so long to develop a vaccine.

Old 03-09-2020, 06:21 PM

10,578 posts, read 7,793,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I just saw that as well, 2.2 for Corona versus 1.3 for flu - although they point out the flu shot keeps the R0 much lower for flu.

Saw on the news again today - more people are weighing in there is a decent chance warm weather will help contain this and in theory, if it manifests itself again (like the deadly Spanish flu did, seasonal across a few winters) there should be a vaccine finally ready.

I'm starting to get tired of 2,000 point Dow stock drops.

I do find it crazy with all the technology we have, supercomputers, etc - that it will take so long to develop a vaccine.

With the warm weather I sure hope so. That would bode well for Hawaii. Looking at the US map of cases, some of the coldest weather states don't have it yet such as Montana, ND and Alaska.

Gates Foundation has been putting a lot of money into vaccine research for the past couple years. Maybe too late for this outbreak though.

Old 03-09-2020, 07:31 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
With the warm weather I sure hope so. That would bode well for Hawaii. Looking at the US map of cases, some of the coldest weather states don't have it yet such as Montana, ND and Alaska.
That they know of......

Old 03-09-2020, 09:41 PM

30,663 posts, read 18,282,617 times
Quote:

Gates Foundation has been putting a lot of money into vaccine research for the past couple years. Maybe too late for this outbreak though.
I'd imagine that this is because fewer people travel (and fewer people live) to those states vs. other states in the US. And I'd also imagine that the extreme cold is also not conducive to the virus spreading aggressively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii