Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 03:52 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times

Advertisements

Maybe if folks would quit feeding them, they'd start eating the coqui frogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 10:35 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,252,336 times
If people stopped feeding the Feral cats. Then they would go away, and not be there. I see people feeding the cats at my appt. complex and tell them to stop feeding the cats and they will go away. But they don't listen?

Old 04-19-2020, 01:35 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
If people stopped feeding the Feral cats. Then they would go away, and not be there. I see people feeding the cats at my appt. complex and tell them to stop feeding the cats and they will go away. But they don't listen?
It doesn’t matter if it cats or dogs. People will feed strays.

I don’t judge them.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:59 AM

21,727 posts, read 16,331,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Maybe if folks would quit feeding them, they'd start eating the coqui frogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Not sure, but I suspect Hotzcatz posted tongue-in-cheek. If you, Scott, are serious in suggesting “they will go away” - um, where do you think they (the cats) will go? Consider: there are a bazillion more cats not being fed than are being fed ... yet they endure and proliferate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
It doesn’t matter if it cats or dogs. People will feed strays.

I don’t judge them.
True, people will always feed strays.

Good on you for not judging them in their compassion - even if it is counterproductive.

Old 06-11-2020, 10:24 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,298,238 times
If the topic had been, "Mind control parasite now found in Oahu Politicians" we could have had an interesting conversation.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:37 AM

21,727 posts, read 16,331,178 times
So, a related update:

Bill to consider mass poisoning Hawaii’s feral cat population stalls in Legislature
https://www.khon2.com/local-news/bil...n-legislature/

Old 02-05-2022, 10:09 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
So, a related update:

Bill to consider mass poisoning Hawaii’s feral cat population stalls in Legislature
https://www.khon2.com/local-news/bil...n-legislature/
I watched the video and observed the usual tired argument from a cat lover who favors trap/spay/return. Her argument is that poisoned cats are possibly sick for a day or two before they die. I am sure that they are equally miserable after being spayed. Clearly spaying doesn't work on a widespread basis. The estimates for feral cats on Maui alone, range from 300,000 to 600,000.

A drive up north of Honolua Bay any evening will show dozens, and sometimes hundreds, of feral cats near the highway. They have to be eating the native wildlife. What else is there besides random handouts or garbage?

Their quality of life can't be very good. I see starving, mangy, cats with tails missing, legs missing, blind in one eye, etc. That has to be the result of cat fights.

I agree with the effort to poison them before our bird population becomes extinct.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 02-05-2022 at 10:18 AM..

Old 02-05-2022, 10:44 AM

30,614 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I watched the video and observed the usual tired argument from a cat lover who favors trap/spay/return. Her argument is that poisoned cats are possibly sick for a day or two before they die. I am sure that they are equally miserable after being spayed. Clearly spaying doesn't work on a widespread basis. The estimates for feral cats on Maui alone, range from 300,000 to 600,000.

A drive up north of Honolua Bay any evening will show dozens, and sometimes hundreds, of feral cats near the highway. They have to be eating the native wildlife. What else is there besides random handouts or garbage?

Their quality of life can't be very good. I see starving, mangy, cats with tails missing, legs missing, blind in one eye, etc. That has to be the result of cat fights.

I agree with the effort to poison them before our bird population becomes extinct.
I'll just say that we as a society produce a LOT of garbage, so it wouldn't shock me if this is what is sustaining the cats for a large amount of their diet.

Old 02-05-2022, 11:35 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
The estimates for feral cats on Maui alone, range from 300,000 to 600,000.
500,000 total cats. 40,000 feral cats. Personally - as a first step, I'd rather seen a ban on outdoor cats that are pets (I own a cat)

https://mauiforestbirds.org/invasive...-on-maui-cats/

Cats are one of the predators that were introduced by humans to the Hawaiian Islands. The State of Hawai’i Department of Health estimates that there are 500,000 cats on the island of Maui. Thousands of these are feral, non-domesticated animals left to hunt and capture prey in the wild.

https://www.mauinews.com/news/local-...pread-problem/

As part of the effort to control the island’s cat population, which is estimated at 40,000, she said the Maui Humane Society offers free spaying and neutering for community cats and low-cost spaying and neutering for pet cats. Last year was a record-breaking year, she said, with more than 4,000 cats spayed or neutered.

Old 02-05-2022, 01:05 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
500,000 total cats. 40,000 feral cats. Personally - as a first step, I'd rather seen a ban on outdoor cats that are pets (I own a cat)

https://mauiforestbirds.org/invasive...-on-maui-cats/

Cats are one of the predators that were introduced by humans to the Hawaiian Islands. The State of Hawai’i Department of Health estimates that there are 500,000 cats on the island of Maui. Thousands of these are feral, non-domesticated animals left to hunt and capture prey in the wild.

https://www.mauinews.com/news/local-...pread-problem/

As part of the effort to control the island’s cat population, which is estimated at 40,000, she said the Maui Humane Society offers free spaying and neutering for community cats and low-cost spaying and neutering for pet cats. Last year was a record-breaking year, she said, with more than 4,000 cats spayed or neutered.
So, 460,000 "domestic" cats are living within 74,000 housing units among 164,000 residents? Many multifamily properties and vacation rentals do not allow pets.

Do the math. Every household would have to be sheltering multiple cats. Not happening.

Out of 500,000 total cats in Maui, they spayed a "record-breaking" 4,000? That's a drop in the bucket. Undoubtedly, tens of thousands were born the same year.

I don't wish to see any of them suffer but it's time to eliminate the majority of them and step up the efforts to eliminate mice, rats, and mongooses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: