Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 11:19 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

Didn’t see any threads about this so thought there might be some interest ... feral cat populations being what they are and all. I never was able to grasp the ‘kindness’ of people feeding hundreds of feral cats around Sand Island and Rainbow Bay / Arizona parking lots and Keehi Lagoon / Marianna etc etc etc that I encountered in my years on Oahu. It isn’t that I hate cats. I just don’t find supporting their take over of the islands a good idea. And it seems it just got worse.

https://www.livescience.com/mind-con...oahu-cats.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 09:27 AM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
I don’t know anything about this parasite other than what is written in the article, but if it is a prevalent as they indicate, and a potential danger to humans, what can be done ? Can the cats be treated ? Do they need to be eliminated ?

Last time I was at Hanauma Bay there were quite a few feral cats and they were rather aggressive if you had food. Plus they didn’t look healthy in my opinion.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:53 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Breaking news - cats kill birds. That is what that poorly written article is trying to convey.

Who knew (I did)

Old 04-16-2020, 11:02 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Cats are an invasive species and cause a lot of damage to native creatures.

Cat advocates insist that once a colony is established the only thing you can do is sterilize them and care for them.

Wrong! Capture and euthanize them to eliminate the damage they cause. Just about every area of human habitation is now inundated by cat colonies.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Cats are an invasive species and cause a lot of damage to native creatures.

Cat advocates insist that once a colony is established the only thing you can do is sterilize them and care for them.

Wrong! Capture and euthanize them to eliminate the damage they cause. Just about every area of human habitation is now inundated by cat colonies.
Mass killing of domesticated cats isn't a great solution.

Regardless - it should be stated that most birds in Hawaii are "invasive" and not native.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Mass killing of domesticated cats isn't a great solution.

Regardless - it should be stated that most birds in Hawaii are "invasive" and not native.
Not a cat ‘hater’ (or lover) here ... I am neutral on cats ... but curious why you say mass euthanasia of ‘domesticated’ cats (that have gone feral) “isn’t a great solution.” My observation of Oahu’s feral cats has been they are not a healthy bunch ... not sure how I could quantify or qualify whether they are ‘happy’ or not. But I don’t see much robustness to their lives ... they mostly seem quite sickly and miserable to me.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Not a cat ‘hater’ (or lover) here ... I am neutral on cats ... but curious why you say mass euthanasia of ‘domesticated’ cats (that have gone feral) “isn’t a great solution.” My observation of Oahu’s feral cats has been they are not a healthy bunch ... not sure how I could quantify or qualify whether they are ‘happy’ or not. But I don’t see much robustness to their lives ... they mostly seem quite sickly and miserable to me.
I'd rather focus efforts on things like rats - mongoose - and coqui frogs etc....

If we can't get coqui frogs under control - no need to spend money to kill a bunch of cats

And if we need to cut State pay by 20% - then spending money to kill cats seems a low priority

Old 04-16-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I'm the same...neutral on cats even though I'm mildly allergic to them. Recently I fed my lunch, a tuna sandwich, to a starving cat. It hissed warnings at me as it ate LOL.

I was in Chile a couple of years ago where they have roaming packs of feral dogs everywhere (like we have feral cats). It was a bit unnerving to be approached by large unfamiliar dogs but they weren't aggressive, just hungry. I observed people going into stores and buying large bags of dog food which they took out to the street and cut open for all passerbys. Dog poop everywhere!

Meanwhile, here in America we euthanize dogs and cats by the hundreds daily. I don't understand the logic of keeping these herds of miserable feral cats alive while their numbers continue to explode.

What about all of the other species they kill off?

Old 04-16-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'd rather focus efforts on things like rats - mongoose - and coqui frogs etc....

If we can't get coqui frogs under control - no need to spend money to kill a bunch of cats

And if we need to cut State pay by 20% - then spending money to kill cats seems a low priority
Agree on rats and coqui ... neutral on the mongoose (but yeah I know they're bad too). And agree this isno time to throw money at the cats. I wasn’t advocating killing them. Just curious why you reasoned it was a bad idea. Got it.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:27 PM

It seems like cats don't do a very good job of keeping rat populations under control. I've observed rats in areas where there are skinny cats.

A friend of mine in hotel management told me glue traps work far better than cats on his property. Perhaps because "cat people" compete for who can be better nurturers to the beach cat populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: