Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2020, 08:51 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,346,385 times

Advertisements

Perhaps some hope in parallels with the island Nation of New Zealand. Aggressive shut down followed by aggressive testing and contact tracing has resulted in a reopening of economy in just less than 2 months:

Quote:
. New Zealand Says It Has Won 'Battle' Against COVID-19

April 27, 20203:58 AM ET
SCOTT NEUMAN

New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says that the island nation has defeated — for the present — the coronavirus as her government announced the lifting of most restrictions imposed to halt the spread of COVID-19.

Bloomfield and Ardern said that declaring the virus eliminated did not mean there would be no new cases, but that the numbers would be manageable with the help of aggressive contact tracing, which the prime minister said had been scaled up "significantly" with the capacity to make up to 10,000 calls per day.

Ardern's remarks came as New Zealand, a country of just 5 million people, downgraded its COVID-19 alert to level 3 — meaning most, but not all, businesses are being allowed to reopen.

The prime minister also advised that if people can work from home, they should continue to do so.

New Zealand has garnered praise for largely putting aside politics in order to tackle the outbreak.

... When [Prime Minister Jacinda Arden] imposed stringent stay-home rules in late March, she urged people to 'be strong and be kind.' "

Australia has also seen a precipitous decline in new cases since a peak nearly a month ago.
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ainst-covid-19

Old 04-27-2020, 08:52 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,314,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Now then, you refer to “the left” as if it is unified in some sort of conspiratorial brotherhood ... and Tulemutt is part of “the left”. What makes you associate me with the left? Because I despise Trump? Lol. Want a list of lifelong conservative Republicans who despise Trump? I won’t bother to list even a fraction of what I could spend all day typing out.

Facts:
My favorite political commentator to follow, #1 on my list for years, is: David Brooks, lifelong conservative Republican.

Others I respect and read frequently? George Will and Bill Kristol. Heard of them?

I voted for HW Bush. Pretty sure he wasn’t a Democrat.

If I lived in Ohio I’d have voted for John Kasich for governor ... like I did for Schwarzenegger in California.

I am a very strong advocate for states rights and limited reach of central government.

I support elimination of the welfare state and systems.

I am bullish on extreme immigration controls.

I can go on. High school drop out from the upper mid-west, career enlisted military, blue-collar self-employed printer. Sound like a “leftist” to you?

Now, I am also not a “righty.” I am a clear thinking independent. There are issues I support that are identified with the left. Others that are identified with the right. What I support and oppose has to do with my interpretation of science mostly ... especially anthropology as it illuminates best every aspect of humankind’s nature, design, evolution ...

Everything you list above as “FEAR” “pushed by the left” is at least equally or more true of being pushed by the right. Your comments are frankly absurd under any rational and historic analysis.

None of the statistics you cite add up to the positions you try to advance. The statistics are simply numbers. YOU apply them without any erudition ... but rather to support your True Believer ideology. Eric Hoffer defined the mold you are cast in, back in 1952-3.
So I’m incorrect that the left strives to fundamentally transform this nation into something else? That’s a conspiracy theory to you? Their entire world view is antithetical to our Constitution and to Americanism.

Yes, I have heard of them. Bill Kristol is a never Trumper, David Brooks is an ignoramus and never Trumper who should be completely ignored and George Will has lost his mind. Explains a lot.

HW Bush was a RINO and all about the establishment. He too and their entire family are establishment who all hated Trump because Trump is anti-establishment. The fact is, none of them were true conservatives where President Trump is. And John Kasich is the biggest RINO of them all. I don’t think that guy has one conservative bone in his body, but yet here he is pretending to be a conservative. He’s also a never Trumper and a chameleon . I’m actually quite surprised with President Trump. I had my doubts.

I agree with your position on states rights and a strong border. The thing with Federalism is, it’s dead and has been dead for a long time. We have the SCOTUS to thank for that in their decision back in 1942 in Wickard vs Filburn.

Agreed, we have become a nanny state that the left promotes and all it really is to me is buying votes. It’s about power to them. The more people dependent on the government the more powerful the government becomes. Prosperity is kryptonite to the left.

Fair enough, you are not a leftist. With that said, I’m a clear thinking Constitutional conservative. My world view is philosophical in nature and not ideological. I would say I’m pretty consistent in my thoughts and my positions, but can only be changed if legitimate, logical, and rational evidence is presented, then and only then my position can change on a matter. For a while I thought abortion was a woman’s choice, but it was up to each and every state to decide on abortion laws, not the federal government. That seems to hold true today. But, as I learned more of the science of a child in the womb and coupled with Christianity, a child in the womb is exactly that, a human being. So I no longer believed it was a woman’s choice to have an abortion because there is a third party involved in that decision too. That would be the child in the womb. They have a right to choose. Science has proved life begins at fertilization and the Bible is in agreement with that.

What FEAR am I and conservatives trying to push, that our economy is falling apart and that this is being pushed by the left and the media? It’s a fact this is happening and it is still happening today even though we have more evidence that it was completely unnecessary. You can’t put on ABC World News without them pushing FEAR. It’s all doom and gloom.

Listen, you can continue to ignore that the death rate of this virus is no worse than the flu of .1%. The more people are being tested the more prevalent this has become. Look at the numbers. Look at how many people have been infected and how many people have died. There was never a need to shut down the economy and yet the economy is still shut down. I have not heard one convincing argument that the economy and lockdowns still need to be in place. Here is an interesting video.

https://www.facebook.com/15365759804...33905332/?vh=e

What does philosopher Eric Hoffer have to do with me?

Old 04-27-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
1. I don’t know their position on Biden, but I do recall they identified from all four political ideology paths (right, left, libertarian, and independent).

2. I haven’t said a thing about Biden, myself (but since you mention: he was never on my list of preferred candidates to counter Trump) ... so don’t know why you are tossing Biden into the conversation as a comp.

3. Biden’s cognitive condition, as you suggest it to be, isn’t known (and Trump certainly exhibits many traits associated with dementia decline as well).

4. Your accusation of Biden as a pedophile is unfitting for a career cop to make, as such, is entirely speculative based on no actual evidence. I understand you dislike Biden, and have no problem with that. But you just tarnished my impression of your character for making that call.

5. We have strayed completely off thread topic, so back to how any of this relates to COVID 19?
The reason I brought up Biden is because you brought up President Trump’s mental health and how 60,000 health professionals are in agreement. How come none have said a thing about Biden who we all know has dementia and can’t keep his hands off little girls? I’m not saying he is a pedophile, but there is something way off with him. Who does that? Anyway. Just my guess, but it’s my hunch there is an agenda with the double standard and the media is covering for him. Also,
The media is completely ignoring the seven credible sexual assault allegations against him.

With that said, Outside of President Trump being egotistical and a narcissistic, I see nothing that makes him mentally incompetent to lead. There is one thing you can say about President Trump is, he’s no politician and he won’t attempt to polish a turd. Does he say dumb ****, he does. I can’t argue against that. We all say dumb stuff. It’s called being human.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:41 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Hawaii's largest air carrier to and from the mainland - United, was granted by the Department of Transportation to suspend service to the Big Island, Maui, and Kauai until September 30th - they've bailed on the entire summer high season. That should telegraph things to come.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Hawaii's largest air carrier to and from the mainland - United, was granted by the Department of Transportation to suspend service to the Big Island, Maui, and Kauai until September 30th - they've bailed on the entire summer high season. That should telegraph things to come.
We have a Delta flight coming in June 4th to Kona. I wonder how many times that flight will be changed and then possibly canceled.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
We have a Delta flight coming in June 4th to Kona.
Hopefully you've got a good quarantine spot - I can't imagine visitor arrivals will be opened up by then unless some treatment or testing is in place.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Hopefully you've got a good quarantine spot - I can't imagine visitor arrivals will be opened up by then unless some treatment or testing is in place.
It’s a three bedroom new construction home in Nanawale Estates. Has a nice screened in lanai too. I don’t see Hawaii lifting the 14 day quarantine any time soon. So the way I see it, get there and those 14 days over with. I have also connected with people on FB who are willing to help out by doing our grocery shopping for us. The outpouring of help is awesome.

That would be great if they could do a test for C19 right when you land.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Has a nice screened in lanai too. I don’t see Hawaii lifting the 14 day quarantine any time soon. So the way I see it, get there and those 14 days over with. I have also connected with people on FB who are willing to help out by doing our grocery shopping for us.
State is looking into ankle bracelets for visitors -hopefully won't be needed

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...tourists-eyed/

Old 04-27-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
State is looking into ankle bracelets for visitors -hopefully won't be needed

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...tourists-eyed/
That’s not excessive.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:47 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
United Airlines website is showing several non stop flights from LAX to HNL starting in June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii