U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2021, 03:31 PM
 
2,378 posts, read 1,116,665 times
Reputation: 1722

Advertisements

Biden wants to open up schools within a 100 days, governors and mayors now want to open up their states and cities.

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo had an epiphany about the devastation of lockdowns recently. He said, “We simply cannot stay closed until the vaccine hits critical mass. The cost is too high. We will have nothing left to open. We must reopen the economy.” He is almost quoting Trump word for word.

Not that I have been watching any Pravda media, but I imagine they haven’t been reporting on daily death counts and infections. If not, soon will. Biden will be the hero and life will be back to status quo while we all live in the democrat echo chamber because all opposing thought is being canceled as we speak.

So While the government destroyed their nation's economy, their Civil Rights, their Constitutional Rights as well as their livelihoods. All under the guise of what, Safety, Science and Security. Those are nothing but charades, facades, excuses, bullshyte!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2021, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Honolulu/DMV Area/NYC
27,711 posts, read 14,656,118 times
Reputation: 29715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Biden wants to open up schools within a 100 days, governors and mayors now want to open up their states and cities.

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo had an epiphany about the devastation of lockdowns recently. He said, “We simply cannot stay closed until the vaccine hits critical mass. The cost is too high. We will have nothing left to open. We must reopen the economy.” He is almost quoting Trump word for word.

Not that I have been watching any Pravda media, but I imagine they haven’t been reporting on daily death counts and infections. If not, soon will. Biden will be the hero and life will be back to status quo while we all live in the democrat echo chamber because all opposing thought is being canceled as we speak.

So While the government destroyed their nation's economy, their Civil Rights, their Constitutional Rights as well as their livelihoods. All under the guise of what, Safety, Science and Security. Those are nothing but charades, facades, excuses, bullshyte!
You're absolutely correct. It really is disgusting to see the different standard in terms of treatment of how Democrats now calling to reopen vs. when Republicans did the same thing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2021, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Juneau, AK + Puna, HI
9,141 posts, read 5,728,737 times
Reputation: 13188
No, he’s not correct.
Cherry picked quote, and not considering context of looking forward to 2021 with vaccine rollout. Note that NY has added thousands to its hospital capacity. What has Hawaii done?
Here is what came before: “We cannot stay closed”.

“.. Hospitals statewide have added thousands of additional emergency beds and are now caring for about 8,500 patients — less than half the mid-April peak of 18,000. But Cuomo warned continued spread — potentially exacerbated by a highly contagious COVID-19 variant widespread in the United Kingdom — could devastate hospitals around the state.

“We are hurt, we are frustrated, we are in mourning, we are anxious,” said Cuomo, who delivered his televised address to a small in-person audience. “We are shocked that an invisible enemy could reach such death and destruction especially in this, the most wealthy and powerful nation on earth.”
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2021, 09:00 PM
 
2,378 posts, read 1,116,665 times
Reputation: 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
No, he’s not correct.
Cherry picked quote, and not considering context of looking forward to 2021 with vaccine rollout. Note that NY has added thousands to its hospital capacity. What has Hawaii done?
Here is what came before: “We cannot stay closed”.

“.. Hospitals statewide have added thousands of additional emergency beds and are now caring for about 8,500 patients — less than half the mid-April peak of 18,000. But Cuomo warned continued spread — potentially exacerbated by a highly contagious COVID-19 variant widespread in the United Kingdom — could devastate hospitals around the state.

“We are hurt, we are frustrated, we are in mourning, we are anxious,” said Cuomo, who delivered his televised address to a small in-person audience. “We are shocked that an invisible enemy could reach such death and destruction especially in this, the most wealthy and powerful nation on earth.”
Yeah, he still sounds like the dumbest American Governor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2021, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Honolulu/DMV Area/NYC
27,711 posts, read 14,656,118 times
Reputation: 29715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
No, he’s not correct.
Cherry picked quote, and not considering context of looking forward to 2021 with vaccine rollout. Note that NY has added thousands to its hospital capacity. What has Hawaii done?
Here is what came before: “We cannot stay closed”.

“.. Hospitals statewide have added thousands of additional emergency beds and are now caring for about 8,500 patients — less than half the mid-April peak of 18,000. But Cuomo warned continued spread — potentially exacerbated by a highly contagious COVID-19 variant widespread in the United Kingdom — could devastate hospitals around the state.

“We are hurt, we are frustrated, we are in mourning, we are anxious,” said Cuomo, who delivered his televised address to a small in-person audience. “We are shocked that an invisible enemy could reach such death and destruction especially in this, the most wealthy and powerful nation on earth.”
What came before is completely consistent with what was said by GOP governors. Referencing the peak position is disingenuous as the media and leftists were attacking similar language from GOP governors months after the peak. GOP governors have always expressed concern over the damage to life caused by the virus, but many have also said that we simply cannot stay closed forever.

Still, even from that perspective, we will not be in a position where herd immunity is a thing until the end of the year most likely, if not sometime into 2022. Thus, the talk of not being able to wait until a vaccine rollout is complete to reopen is still a valid comparison (as far as the different treatment we saw) from where I stand.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2021, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Juneau, AK + Puna, HI
9,141 posts, read 5,728,737 times
Reputation: 13188
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
What came before is completely consistent with what was said by GOP governors....

...Still, even from that perspective, we will not be in a position where herd immunity is a thing until the end of the year most likely, if not sometime into 2022. Thus, the talk of not being able to wait until a vaccine rollout is complete to reopen is still a valid comparison (as far as the different treatment we saw) from where I stand.
What GOP governors were saying in late Spring last year.
The reality is that Democratic run states have been and continue to be more cautious about opening up and look to follow CDC guidelines. Hawaii is a good example. So is California, though they’re quite restricted and still seeing a big surge. This could be trouble for their governor as he’s facing a recall drive.

With most vulnerable vaccinated by summer and the seasonal “backdrop”, as Republican pandemic expert Scott Gottlieb has said, things should be looking much better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top