Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

College graduate, moving to Hawaii, drunk driving accident when teenager, left foot amputated wear prosthesis, amputee at the beach, hospitality industry, rental prices

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:13 PM

426 posts, read 1,734,161 times

Advertisements

Hey,

Long post, sorry. I should be more concise, but my writing style just doesn't make it all that possible.

I've made a post on just about every City-Data board there is, as I am really indecisive about where I would like to move now that I'm out of college. All I know is that I need to move somewhere WARM, as these Wisconsin winters tear my inner essence into black shreds of nothingness, and I would preferably like somewhere that isn't as rush-rush hustle-hustle as most big American cities. I'm not a competitive nor judgmental person, and I'm mostly looking to just live a relatively peaceful life where I can enjoy nature, meditate, and live a life relatively devoid of inane materialism and competition. I am just kind of repulsed by "mainland America," - the endless chain stores, strip malls, highways, competition, political drama, other drama, and so on - and I feel like Hawaii is the best place I can go to escape it.

So anyway, I am really thinking about moving to Hawaii, and will probably be flying out there to see what it is like in February or so (currently trying to get friends to go with), and with eventual plans to move there (if this economy holds up) in May or perhaps the Fall of 2009.

I have a few questions, though, and I'd appreciate any input you have to give. I'm obviously going to research to the death until I make an actual decision. Anyway, I digress.

1 - When I was 16, I got hit by a drunk driver driving without his headlights on the wrong side of the highway. In the ensuing chaos, I unfortunately ended up having to get my left foot amputated. My prosthetic is awesome , but would I risk the chance of getting kicked out of beaches, do you think, for "scaring the women and kids" or other such nonsense? Have you yourself ever seen an amputee at a beach? Do you think it would be a difficult situation for me? How busy do the beaches get?

2 - I have a history degree and limited work experience. I'd love to work in government or in the military (administrative, obviously), or perhaps teach. Outside the (declining?) hospitality industry, what do you think would work best for me?

3 - What areas would you most recommend I move to? I'm not hugely into boozing/binging, and would probably prefer camping or doing other such stuff over hitting the town (although the latter is nice). I'd like to make friends like myself, who are more into the spiritual side of things, as well as nature and so on. I'm not very extroverted, but I'm also not shy or introverted...

Anyway, I really appreciate any input/advice/warnings/threats? you'd like to share. This would be a big move and I can't make it without first hearing what some of you have to say!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 10:26 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,934,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
When I was 16, I got hit by a drunk driver driving without his headlights on the wrong side of the highway. In the ensuing chaos, I unfortunately ended up having to get my left foot amputated. My prosthetic is awesome , but would I risk the chance of getting kicked out of beaches, do you think, for "scaring the women and kids" or other such nonsense? Have you yourself ever seen an amputee at a beach? Do you think it would be a difficult situation for me? How busy do the beaches get?
I'll comment on this one item.

I've never seen an amputee at a beach, but I'll bet you would not have a problem. Quite the contrary. I think people might guess that you were a military vet, and despite what you may read here from time to time, I think the Hawaii population honors the military - especially those who have been wounded in the service of their country.

Hawaii has special license plates for those who earned the purple heart - and others for "combat veteran". There are small towns on the outer islands that still have plaques in the center of town with WWII Honor Rolls.

Hank

Old 11-22-2008, 12:28 AM

346 posts, read 966,176 times
1 - When I was 16, I got hit by a drunk driver driving without his headlights on the wrong side of the highway. In the ensuing chaos, I unfortunately ended up having to get my left foot amputated. My prosthetic is awesome , but would I risk the chance of getting kicked out of beaches, do you think, for "scaring the women and kids" or other such nonsense? Have you yourself ever seen an amputee at a beach? Do you think it would be a difficult situation for me? How busy do the beaches get?

No problem whatsoever. In fact, a buddy of mine designed an adaptive fin for an amputee for his senior design project last may.

2 - I have a history degree and limited work experience. I'd love to work in government or in the military (administrative, obviously), or perhaps teach. Outside the (declining?) hospitality industry, what do you think would work best for me?

I'd just find an office job where you could 9-5 it (FYI, nobody works from 9 to 5 here). It's usually 8-4:30

3 - What areas would you most recommend I move to? I'm not hugely into boozing/binging, and would probably prefer camping or doing other such stuff over hitting the town (although the latter is nice). I'd like to make friends like myself, who are more into the spiritual side of things, as well as nature and so on. I'm not very extroverted, but I'm also not shy or introverted...

The nice thing about Hawaii is that it's small, so you're never too far from any of what you mentioned. Realistically, with no solid job experience you won't be making a ton of money (at least not initially). Rent here can be quite steep. You could share a 1br apartment for probably $850 a month on average in Honolulu or the Windward side. As a (I'm assuming) white guy you don't want to go any further west than tripler hospital to live. Those areas can get a bit rough, and you'd be a definite minority for the most part. It's not nearly as bad as years past, but the traffic is also horrendous, so that's something to consider.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:17 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,888,525 times
This is from West Maui, not Oahu, but sometimes we see so many people (mostly men) here with prostheses we wonder if there's a convention. It doesn't seem to be a problem at all -- shorts, shoes, tanks, whatever. People are on the beach, walking, doing, playing.

I don't know what having a history major really does for you career-wise. I majored in Medieval Literature, but I never even imagined that potential employers would care. It's more about what you can do for them than what you know or what you're interested in. I wouldn't count on history carrying a lot of water over here -- it's a sales kind of market mostly.

I've also read your various posts regarding being on a dot of land in a big ocean. If that's how you look at it, it will definitely affect your perceptions. It's nothing like the mainland, but there's nothing wrong with that. If you've ever spent time in a remote area of the mainland, it's very similar -- things are available at a price, either time-wise or monetarily. (Or both.) Healthcare is one of those items, BTW. There's very good care, but its availablilty is somewhat limited geographicaly, which means certain time and financial restrictions apply.

I truly cannot think of a place, however, that is more welcoming/less judgmental if that's what you're looking for. Do visit before you move, but if it's a "fit," you won't regret it. It doesn't suit everybody because some people are unrealisitically looking to escape or looking for something that doesn't exist. It sounds like most of what you are looking for can be found here, but this is not the only place -- you just need to find the next place.

Best of luck.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:27 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,945,389 times
Can you get sand in your prosthetic and still have it work? Most amputee's at the beach I see use a minimalistic approach so their expensive social prosthetic doesn't get bunged up. If your foot doesn't need much specific medical attention, then teaching history on an outer island might fit your desired lifestyle. Maui is warm and has great beaches. Moku Nui (the Big Island) is warm but the beaches aren't as nice. Kauai is warm with great beaches, too. You will probably have to fly to Oahu if you need something medical done but inter-island airfare is only $150 round trip.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:05 AM

47 posts, read 147,554 times
as for teaching you may want to go to UH in Honolulu talk with some teachers there... what I am getting at is in Hawaii they have a printing company... I have read quite a few books by teachers that have contributed in some way in the literary society...who knows a relaxing place may bring stories to the mind... puts me in the mind of R.L.S, Herman Melville and Jack London even others...I think the name of the printing company is Hawaii Press..

To tell you one beautiful place on Oahu....if you visit Oahu...ride the number one bus... once you get passed Kaimuki even the mall that is out there.. you will see a different side of the island....

Old 11-26-2008, 05:30 PM

426 posts, read 1,734,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Can you get sand in your prosthetic and still have it work? Most amputee's at the beach I see use a minimalistic approach so their expensive social prosthetic doesn't get bunged up. If your foot doesn't need much specific medical attention, then teaching history on an outer island might fit your desired lifestyle. Maui is warm and has great beaches. Moku Nui (the Big Island) is warm but the beaches aren't as nice. Kauai is warm with great beaches, too. You will probably have to fly to Oahu if you need something medical done but inter-island airfare is only $150 round trip.
Thanks! Yeah, I don't need much specific attention. As long as I have the socks I need, which last years, I'm fine, and I can get those ordered anyway. If my prosthetic broke, which it has twice in my life, then there would be a problem, but this usually is quickly fixed. I guess I'd have to move.

Which island would you say is the safest, or easiest to make friends? I'm not great at making friends but I would need people to do stuff with, obviously. I'm not an energetic party person, but I like to do things and have fun. Is Maui more affordable than Oahu? Which has better areas for hiking, camping, stargazing, and all the like? I see Maui only has a population of 117,000 - I bet you could get to know almost everyone on the island that way...

Thanks for the help...

Old 11-26-2008, 07:06 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,888,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
Which island would you say is the safest, or easiest to make friends? I'm not great at making friends but I would need people to do stuff with, obviously. I'm not an energetic party person, but I like to do things and have fun. Is Maui more affordable than Oahu? Which has better areas for hiking, camping, stargazing, and all the like? I see Maui only has a population of 117,000 - I bet you could get to know almost everyone on the island that way...

Thanks for the help...
Maui and Oahu are very different. Maui, as you noted, has about a tenth Oahu's population. It's much more rural, has a few towns that are either local or tourist-mix population centers. Oahu has beautiful rural areas but -- overall -- is more urban/suburban. Both have beautiful beaches, hiking and camping, and tons of friendly people. So it's really a choice between a small-town island and a big city island that has a few small towns, too.

Safety is a relative issue and depends somewhat upon your habits, neighborhood preferences, etc. I am astonished at the things I read here about bar fights and beach confrontations. I lived in the inner cities of the east coast for 20 years, and apply the same kinds of common sense here. I feel badly for people who are intimidated and provoked without cause, it has not been my experience in all my years here.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:47 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,172,712 times
Hello

I have been looking to see if I want to move to islands - been on Big Island since the 7th -- still here Pahoa area - although drove 2600 miles checking it all out! gota see ya know. So in beaches and tide pools and in general thinking about it seen at least 4 amputees while snorkling and more in general - other than the first one under water - wow that guy has no foot - just not what you expect to see snorkling - met a great man - years ago on Ohau Sam (sp?) Knocka nuie amputee - again no big deal here as I have seen - too each their own - it is more of who you are than what you look like. People are real friendly ...... haven't got "stink eye" once. some confused looks like why is a short blond gal alone here ... but that is about it - been invited to tons of things from strangers - becoming friends and I have only gone to a bar a couple times to socialize -- your nice their nice is my "short" experience.... love though gota tell ya... now work listen to more experienced people other than me - that might be an issue....Good luck in your journey!

Old 12-03-2008, 01:35 AM

7 posts, read 17,329 times
Comfortably Numb, I am -with- you man. I'm from Arizona..

But I much value the spiritual, soul-ful things in life, more than material. Which, is exactly the opposite of where I grew up.

I would rather hang out with close people smoking pokalola (sp) playing ukelele, or in nature, or at the beach...then go to a mall. Not that I don't like malls, well... yea, I don't like malls. haha

I have this aching feeling that I need to be around people who have hearts...not just outer fronts. I see that in the Mexican culture where I live in Arizona. I saw that in Maui when I visited, but mainly just with the local real hawaiian people. I was treated very well. A man who picked me up hitchhiking bought me lunch! THEN he took me to where I wanted to go. It was totally out of his way. He was even near my age. Just a cool dude.

Anyways I'm not very trusting of people because I read people very easily/fast. But many people in hawaii were so relaxing, in fact I suddenly felt like -I-, was the one without heart. Because i've had to shield myself so much on the mainland... from heartless judging people. Its not who I want to be... thats why i need to be around more good people who have more interest in smiles than gucci shirts.

I was raised Christian and my parents are from minnesota. so i was raised , i think, with good morals and ethics...but mainly, having respect for other people. but i've been hurt by people who don't have respect... its tiresome the amt of road rage, disrespect i see around me...

neways just wanted to say i feel you on what your saying. i think its great you are moving, because i think our intuition tells how we need to move. physically moving large distances was probably part of our human genetic nature for what...98% of the time we have been humans? then we started agriculture... and now we can literally spend 10 years living in a 2 mile radius bubble... and most of that following the same exact routes...talk about lack of life and living... thats like a rat living in a cage. and we laugh at them.... yet we are that same rat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii