Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 11:38 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times

Advertisements

Doesn't bode well for one the worst school systems. Perhaps the teacher shortage wasn't a shortage after all.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...1000-teachers/

The Hawaii State Teachers Association this morning expressed grave concerns about proposed budget cuts that would result in the loss of 1,000 teachers, including special education teachers.

Among the largest proposed cuts, according to HSTA, are a 10% reduction to the weighted student formula, amounting to about $95 million, and a 9% cut to special education, amounting to about $24.5 million. Under the “weighted student formula,” schools receive a certain amount of funds per student enrolled to cover operating costs.

Old 12-04-2020, 12:52 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Yeah, we heard that. It is too risky for us to wait it out another year. We put our house on the market and we are closing in a few weeks as long as everything goes smooth. We put it on the market sooner than we liked, but our realtor said the market is very hot right now in Puna. Our house wasn’t on the market for a day and we had a cash buyer put in an offer. It’s a awesome house. I’m going to miss it. We are going to finish out the school year for our daughter. She’s really upset. She loves her school and loves it here. We all do, but you have to go where the work is. Even though I’m working full time, once all my wife’s school loans are due, it won’t be enough if she is not teaching. $180,000 in student loans is a big monthly payment. It sucks, we were acclimating to life here, but teaching here isn’t in the cards.

Old 12-05-2020, 04:02 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Yeah, we heard that. It is too risky for us to wait it out another year. We put our house on the market and we are closing in a few weeks as long as everything goes smooth. We put it on the market sooner than we liked, but our realtor said the market is very hot right now in Puna. Our house wasn’t on the market for a day and we had a cash buyer put in an offer. It’s a awesome house. I’m going to miss it. We are going to finish out the school year for our daughter. She’s really upset. She loves her school and loves it here. We all do, but you have to go where the work is. Even though I’m working full time, once all my wife’s school loans are due, it won’t be enough if she is not teaching. $180,000 in student loans is a big monthly payment. It sucks, we were acclimating to life here, but teaching here isn’t in the cards.
Sorry that Hawaii didn't work out for you guys. While I wish things were different, I hope yours serves as a cautionary tale for others seeking to make the move. Hawaii is expensive. And if you can't support yourself/family on your guaranteed funds, it may not be wise to move to the islands expecting to get a certain job upon arrival

Old 12-05-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Sorry that Hawaii didn't work out for you guys. While I wish things were different, I hope yours serves as a cautionary tale for others seeking to make the move. Hawaii is expensive. And if you can't support yourself/family on your guaranteed funds, it may not be wise to move to the islands expecting to get a certain job upon arrival
Gas and food is expensive. We are able to afford the cost of living, but it’s other things that we are obligated to not Hawaii related that has to be taken care of.

Old 12-05-2020, 02:00 PM

344 posts, read 250,259 times
Quote:
Gas and food is expensive. We are able to afford the cost of living, but it’s other things that we are obligated to not Hawaii related that has to be taken care of.
I guess it is water under the bridge now. And i am not trying to be critical. But, for future readers, if your wife having a teaching position was so critical, why prompted you to move all the way here and buy a house before that was locked down.

I may be a little conservative in this area, but I would not move across a state and buy a house under such circumstances, let alone out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, with all the complexity that entails.

Old 12-05-2020, 02:00 PM

112 posts, read 96,666 times
All of the chaff that has built up over the years finally caught up with the BOE/DOE...much like many other overextended organizations and individuals. When times are good and the goose is laying those golden eggs it is easy to keep funding things like the anti-American studies, Hawaiian Language, non-core learning and the things that can drown a budget when the funding is tight. Administration salaries compete for a chunk of the funds as well.

It is too bad that the special needs students are the ones who will pay the price.

The teachers have been compliant...they stood by as their union leached the taxpayers and the tax base. Now that the time has come for the belt to be tightened it is hypocritical for the teachers to act like they haven't been at the table eating right beside the rest of the gluttons.

Old 12-05-2020, 02:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantw View Post
When times are good and the goose is laying those golden eggs it is easy to keep funding things like the anti-American studies, Hawaiian Language.
Ok, I'll bite.

I see nothing wrong with Hawaiian Language Studies.

But, I'd like to see some sources on anti-American studies.

Old 12-05-2020, 05:25 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Sorry to read this. Sucks. Best wishes on your relocation.

Old 12-05-2020, 05:36 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantw View Post
All of the chaff that has built up over the years finally caught up with the BOE/DOE...much like many other overextended organizations and individuals. When times are good and the goose is laying those golden eggs it is easy to keep funding things like the anti-American studies, Hawaiian Language, non-core learning and the things that can drown a budget when the funding is tight. Administration salaries compete for a chunk of the funds as well.

It is too bad that the special needs students are the ones who will pay the price.

The teachers have been compliant...they stood by as their union leached the taxpayers and the tax base. Now that the time has come for the belt to be tightened it is hypocritical for the teachers to act like they haven't been at the table eating right beside the rest of the gluttons.
Another expert who "knows" how to fix Education.

If what you say is true, why are Hawaii's teachers just about the poorest paid in the nation, accounting for the cost of living?

A year ago the state was short about 1300 licensed teachers, and was limping along with uncredentialed people teaching all over the state. Why does no one want these jobs??? (In hard-to-fill areas, only a high school diploma is needed to be a substitute yet they are still in short supply.) If teaching is such a great gig, why aren't there lines of people hoping to get hired (like the fire dept.)?

What much of the public fails to understand is that Congress and the State Legislature have repeatedly increased mandated services for Sp. Ed.; blind; autistic; Hawaiian Language; etc. without funding those mandates. Districts have to provide most of the mandated services out of their regular budget. Over time those things have come to eat up much of the money that should be spent on regular education (and teacher salaries).

I have yet to encounter a teacher's union that has any real power (and they don't typically serve Administrators). If we have an overabundance of Administrators, it's not because of teachers or the Union. School Districts and School Boards make those decisions.

Supply and Demand applies in Education. There is a growing teacher shortage across America because teaching is no longer perceived to be a rewarding career choice.

Most college students think "Take this job and shove it" with regard to Education. Cocktail waitressing/bartending pays more, and you don't start your career with $100+k in student loans to repay.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 12-05-2020 at 05:44 PM..

Old 12-05-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
I guess it is water under the bridge now. And i am not trying to be critical. But, for future readers, if your wife having a teaching position was so critical, why prompted you to move all the way here and buy a house before that was locked down.

I may be a little conservative in this area, but I would not move across a state and buy a house under such circumstances, let alone out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, with all the complexity that entails.
We lost nothing. Got to live in our own place for a while and will be spending a year in paradise. Not everyone is able to say that. I was fortunate to land a good job here to supplement my pension. Experiences are priceless. No hard feelings. Now onto a new chapter in this book called life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii