Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 08:45 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
We nuked the heck out of them. But that doesn’t excuse 60+ years later not knowing English or working.
down here in the deep south,press '1' for English,press '2' for Spanish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2020, 05:14 PM

344 posts, read 250,465 times
Merry Christmas!!

Some of your replies confuse me.
So, you were proud to have been able to successfully work hard, save money, and retired early:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantw View Post
Because we worked hard and saved our money so we could retire early and get out of the rat race.
But, when others do the same, you are triggered by that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantw View Post
...they sound great echoing from the stately estates of Kohala. Virtue signaling never looked better from behind the guarded gates.

Is there a proper amount of success that is acceptable to you?

PS. The name calling really does not add weight to the points you are trying to make.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:12 PM

344 posts, read 250,465 times
Getting back to the original question.

Wealth of nations is often measured by Gross Domestic Product. Same measure could be used for states as well.

Here is a ranking of per capita (to normalize by state population) GDP by state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...GDP_per_capita

Hawaii is in the 19th "wealthiest" state as of 2018 using this as a measure.

As an aside regarding the red state/blue state discussion earlier in the thread. This same list shows blue states holding down 15 of the top 20 slots. The next 20 are a mix or red and blue states, and the lowest 10 states are mostly red states. Make of that what you will.

Old 12-27-2020, 12:16 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post

Wealth of nations is often measured by Gross Domestic Product.
One of the stupidest posts on city data I’ve seen. Right up there with the Big Island residents should lay down and take it because freeloaders prevail and nothing you can do about it.

Old 12-27-2020, 04:49 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,065,924 times
Quote:
One of the stupidest posts on city data I’ve seen. Right up there with the Big Island residents should lay down and take it because freeloaders prevail and nothing you can do about it.
Wait, what can be done about it?

Old 12-27-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
Wait, what can be done about it?
Now that is a good question.

A lot of things -

For those able bodied (not disabled, mentally ill, old, etc) Being fat and lazy does not exclude you from able bodied.

My first act would be regular illicit drug and alcohol testing for those receiving government assistance. If you are receiving taxpayer assistance - illegal drugs and alcohol should be off the table. If you can't afford to eat without taxpayer assistance, you shouldn't be able to afford illegal drugs and alcohol. If you can't stay off of drugs and alcohol, I cut your funding.

Quite frankly that act alone likely gets some people motivated.

I'd force you to work for your assistance after a specified timeframe. And it wouldn't be fun work. Pick up trash on roadways, paint government buildings, cut grass - and if I ran out things for you to do - and I don't think I would, I'd park you in a building and make you sit there all day if you didn't have a bona fide job interview - or, if I really want to motivate them - make them exercise during the day. I'll even supply some computers for job searching. No need to park yourself at home watching The View on your 75" TV.

Freeloading should have a level of difficulty.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:34 PM

959 posts, read 1,214,920 times
Quote:

A lot of things -

For those able bodied (not disabled, mentally ill, old, etc) Being fat and lazy does not exclude you from able bodied.

My first act would be regular illicit drug and alcohol testing for those receiving government assistance. If you are receiving taxpayer assistance - illegal drugs and alcohol should be off the table. If you can't afford to eat without taxpayer assistance, you shouldn't be able to afford illegal drugs and alcohol. If you can't stay off of drugs and alcohol, I cut your funding.

I'd force you to work for your assistance after a specified timeframe. And it wouldn't be fun work. Pick up trash on roadways, paint government buildings, cut grass - and if I ran out things for you to do - and I don't think I would, I'd park you in a building and make you sit there all day if you didn't have a bona fide job interview - or, if I really want to motivate them - make them exercise during the day. I'll even supply some computers for job searching. No need to park yourself at home watching The View on your 75" TV.

I could get behind this. Obviously the current situation is abused by many and becomes a lifestyle rather than a short-term bridge to independence.

So much fraud and abuse of these programs. The Social Security Disability program is full of long term abuse as well.

Old 12-28-2020, 02:58 AM

Quote:

A lot of things -

So Tough Love? Wonder why no one has thought of that? More stick, less carrot? But is there carrot?

Old 12-28-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
So Tough Love? Wonder why no one has thought of that? More stick, less carrot? But is there carrot?
I don't consider you not taking illegal drugs or drinking alcohol - or asking you to work for government assistance "tough love", just common sense. I don't subscribe to the do nothing but I pay you anyway channel. But if I have to define a "carrot" is that if you do the things I outlined you get the money - at least you aren't freeloading.

Old 12-28-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I don't consider you not taking illegal drugs or drinking alcohol - or asking you to work for government assistance "tough love", just common sense. I don't subscribe to the do nothing but I pay you anyway channel. But if I have to define a "carrot" is that if you do the things I outlined you get the money - at least you aren't freeloading.
I'm not arguing against anything you said but maybe your plan has unintended consequences. What happens to all the alcoholics and drug addicts when they no longer have enough to be addled? Probably an uptick in petty crime and robberies panhandling. Then taxpayer expense and insurance, etc. will go up and general quality of life will go down for all. I think most people on drugs won't stop just because you offer them money or take it away. Think of the rich kids that risk inheritances etc, to stay on the horse.

It would probably be cheaper to develop Beer Town and contain the addicts to a cheap location with Free Beer etc, than to have some bureaucracy determining if you are getting your check this month or not.

Another problem, are you saying just because I'm poor I can't have a beer..or medical MJ? what about a candy bar or a piece of beef? Where does the policing stop and at what cost. Look at our prisons. Talk about a "controlled" environment and people that should have limitations on their rights. Mostly full of able bodied men that could probably pay their way if they were just on a stationary bike generating electricity for sale. Yet this is a major taxpayer drain. If we don't have the will or plan to solve this I think the hurdle to control "free" people will be very high.

I don't think there is a quick fix. Our society has changed but our social institutions are still operating as if we were in the 1800's. Personal consequences need to start at a young age. And I do believe that society needs to be obligated to each child to teach them that even at the cost of parental rights.

When I'm King one of the first things I'd do is combine schools with nursing homes. Nothing wrong with kids seeing the full spectrum of life that they used to see when Grandma or Grandpa died in their bed at home. Plenty of unskilled work that kids could do during the school day. I could go on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: