Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 05:51 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times

Advertisements

Aloha.
Does anyone have experience w/shipping horses to Hawaii from
the PNW? For some reason I'm not only having a hard time finding shippers that will give me the time of day but I'm having a real hard time cosidering leaving him behind.
Mahalo,
Koale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 12:27 AM

110 posts, read 752,895 times
There is a ranch in Makawao on Maui where it sounds like they buy horses on the mainland & so must ship them over. The ranch starts with a P (sorry I only read about it). I'd contact them to see who they would recommend. I could never ever ever leave my horse behind. My heart would break.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:43 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Thumbs up Mahalo

Mahalo Eekwine (cute). I did a search and came up with Piiholo Ranch on Maui.
I've just sent them an email asking for assistance. Yeah, it's breaking my heart
to have to consider leaving my DWB. I could never replace him.
Again, Mahalo for the info.
Koale

Old 11-28-2007, 06:31 PM

252 posts, read 953,221 times
I have a friend whose involved in horse shows at top levels and ships back and forth from Hawaii to the mainland. I'll email her and see what she recommends.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:26 PM

Found these on Google:

http://www.salleehorsevans.com/services.... (http://www.salleehorsevans.com/services.shtml - broken link)

http://www.flyirt.com/homeglobal.jsp?xci... (http://www.flyirt.com/homeglobal.jsp?xcid=1 - broken link)

Horse transportation by International Horse Transport Ltd.

Brook Ledge Horse Transportation

Global Animal Transport (broken link)

I haven't heard from my friend yet on who she uses.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:09 PM

to fly his horse over the only option is Pacific Air Lift Welcome to Pacific Airlift
Cost is about $4000 But first he has to get the horse to LA . Trailering to LA isn't included in the $4K PAL usually recommends Hubbart trailers. Tell him he needs to call and talk to Andy. Andy knows everything, can arrange anything. They fly here once a month, only on Wednesdays, the Wednesday closes to the 15th of the month. They usually don't fly in December, but I remember them making 2 flights in January one year.
He can also ship his horse via boat. It's a 5 day trip... I've seen a couple of horses in really bad shape after they come off the boat. I personally wouldn't ship via boat - no food or water for 5 days, horses are in a shipping box, they can't walk around, lay down, etc. Pacific Airlift requires that your horse have shipping insurance. I was talking to my insurance agent (for my daughters horse) and she did mention that her company won't give insurance if you're shipping via boat. That tells me there's to many claims.

Tell him the boarding rates around here are pretty reasonable- around $400 per month. He's not going to find pasture boarding. Finding a good farrier is a problem tho... my boarders acually fly a guy in from California every 5 weeks - costs them $250 per horse! We have a couple of good vets, but no surgery yet.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:59 PM

110 posts, read 752,895 times
Piiholo Ranch - yes that is the one. Sounds like you've been given great advice. Good luck to you & your horse on your journey. What island are you moving to?

Old 01-30-2008, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 11,205 times
Default horses to Hawaii

Koale, Aloha, did you find a shipper for your stock, I am in a similar situation with many horses and mules to ship. Did you locate a shipper, please, please advise. Mahalo, Trish

Old 01-30-2008, 04:57 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
I have talked to a couple difernt agencies about bringing my horse over also and was not impressed with what was being offered. Handing my trusted freind ,that I have put so much blood sweat and tears into, to the care of a gaggle of merchant marine freight handlers with no care at all for the welfare of my animal smacked of a violation of trust I could not live with myself for doing. I also would greatly appreciate any info on reputable and profesional outfits that can provide the needed service here. Mahalo!

Old 02-25-2009, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 10,299 times
Smile horse transportation

I am from Hawaii, and I do know there are alot of great transporters from state to state and to and from Hawaii. I have personally used 3 different ones myself and all had great trips and no they did not get sick or loose weight. Some may have slight difficulty, but do recover quite nicely.

Pacific airlift, quotes are $2800.00 per horse as of today. Transportation by water is also safe and yes they do feed horses and give them water. $1000. per horse. There is also an attendant with them when they travel to ensure safety. Most of us here in Hawaii, travel by water not by air. I can give many names and #'s in transportation.

Mahalo,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii