Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 08:23 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times

Advertisements

90,000 people have applied to the Movers and Shakas program to attract mainland remote workers. In true Hawaii style, only 50 selected so far.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/0...vdiHYdqhQjENMw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 08:50 PM

959 posts, read 1,217,028 times
In general it’s not a bad idea to promote Hawaii as a viable remote work location. But I just feel the incentive of a free flight is odd. If someone has a good job and wants to work remotely, a free ticket would/should be the least of their concerns.

Seems that setting up a referral housing program, and working with landlords to provide furnished Rental units prepared with high speed internet would be more important.

Just seems odd to me that a free ticket might be the deciding factor to go or not. But hey, can’t argue with 90,000 applicants.

Old 02-14-2021, 01:01 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,111,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
In general it’s not a bad idea to promote Hawaii as a viable remote work location. But I just feel the incentive of a free flight is odd. If someone has a good job and wants to work remotely, a free ticket would/should be the least of their concerns.

Seems that setting up a referral housing program, and working with landlords to provide furnished Rental units prepared with high speed internet would be more important.

Just seems odd to me that a free ticket might be the deciding factor to go or not. But hey, can’t argue with 90,000 applicants.
They wouldn't garner much hype if they just said "come to Hawaii, the weather is great and we have fast internet too". The offer of free flights was a necessary marketing tool as it made the offering unique and distinctive, ultimately creating news and social media "buzz"; I feel it was executed well.

More importantly, any meaningful success of this program will likely be met with strong opposition from housing advocates claiming the influx of remote workers is driving up the cost of rent during tough economic times.

You just can't win.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:53 PM

959 posts, read 1,217,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
They wouldn't garner much hype if they just said "come to Hawaii, the weather is great and we have fast internet too". The offer of free flights was a necessary marketing tool as it made the offering unique and distinctive, ultimately creating news and social media "buzz"; I feel it was executed well.

More importantly, any meaningful success of this program will likely be met with strong opposition from housing advocates claiming the influx of remote workers is driving up the cost of rent during tough economic times.

You just can't win.
I see your point here. From a pure publicity standpoint I do think it was probably pretty good. I know a lot of mainland publications and tv stations ran the story. And that likely put the idea into many peoples head even if they didn’t care much about a free airline ticket. So for the 50 airline tickets the did likely generate a lot of free publicity.

I wonder if they have tried to track the net result of the program. We know 50 people came (or are coming) through the program. So it would be interesting if we know how many more people were inspired by the free publicity and came regardless of the free ticket.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:24 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,100,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
90,000 people have applied to the Movers and Shakas program to attract mainland remote workers. In true Hawaii style, only 50 selected so far.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/0...vdiHYdqhQjENMw
...and “Organizers of the program say of the first 50, more than half are returning kama’aina.”

Old 02-15-2021, 03:41 PM

One of the biggest gaps I see in this program is not ensuring these remote workers are going to be paying Hawaii State Income Taxes. Does little for Hawaii if a Washington State resident who pays no state income tax moves here and doesn't inform his/her employer so Hawaii taxes are taken out.

Old 02-16-2021, 12:44 PM

80 posts, read 88,780 times
50% are local folks, which I fully support, and 75% have local ties. But 90k is a lot, but wonder how many just applied on a whim, not really reading the print or thinking it thru. Certainly may grab the attention of some politician. Feels like trickle-down economics. The idea that this will serve to diversify our economy, rely on high earners from elsewhere spending money here, and giving them a financial incentive to do so. If this grows I'm hesitant the impact it'll have on crowding, infrastructure, housing and wealth inequality. They can skirt State income tax. Then if they spent money renting from a mainland landlord, buy stuff from amazon or costco and spend their time doing free things, gotta wonder how much of a net impact they'll actually have. They certainly won't' spend like a tourist.

Old 02-16-2021, 01:27 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,068,723 times
Probably would have been a better idea to send our low earners to say Arkansas with a free flight. Or at least an exchange program where the high earners come here and our low earners go there.

Old 02-16-2021, 02:00 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,256,652 times
Just going to have to wait and see how it works out with the Movers and Shakas program.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
Probably would have been a better idea to send our low earners to say Arkansas with a free flight. Or at least an exchange program where the high earners come here and our low earners go there.
Now that’s a great way to get rid of a bunch of freeloaders and whiners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii