Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 02:52 PM

6,381 posts, read 4,755,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I would love to visit Hawaii but not live their plus I could not afford it.
It's good that you can see this. Many people apparently think they can move here and live on wild fruit and will somehow "get by". It never seems to work out that way.

Hope you are able to visit some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 03:39 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,865,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg67 View Post
No samba dances here. Hawaii is a US location unique in its scenery, activities and culture with good weather that's relatively easy to access, navigate, is comfortable and modern-ish. On the flipside, plenty locals I know, if they can afford it, don't really go to outer islands but go places like Japan, or US mainland cities, vegas, skiing, etc. as that's unique and exotic to them.

It isn't so much that it's unique and exotic as that it's not that much more expensive to visit the other places. If we visit another island, we still have to rent a car and stay in hotels. We can't drive our own cars there and there aren't any motels so we only have the higher hotel options. Which means, other than the additional airfare to get to somewhere further away, the costs are pretty much the same whether we visit Japan or another island. There used to be a real budget airline that would let us fly to Japan for about the same as a neighbor island, although they went out of business.

Old 04-03-2021, 04:34 PM

344 posts, read 243,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
It isn't so much that it's unique and exotic as that it's not that much more expensive to visit the other places. If we visit another island, we still have to rent a car and stay in hotels. We can't drive our own cars there and there aren't any motels so we only have the higher hotel options. Which means, other than the additional airfare to get to somewhere further away, the costs are pretty much the same whether we visit Japan or another island. There used to be a real budget airline that would let us fly to Japan for about the same as a neighbor island, although they went out of business.
Why aren't there any motels here?
Is there a historical reason for that, or is it just that the economics of them don't work here?
It seems like other high cost areas still have reasonably priced motel chains.

Old 04-03-2021, 05:22 PM

21,568 posts, read 16,079,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
Why aren't there any motels here?
Is there a historical reason for that, or is it just that the economics of them don't work here?
It seems like other high cost areas still have reasonably priced motel chains.
You answered your own question (bolded). ‘Reasonably priced’ would just attract even more tourism, of lower spending. Hawaii is already overwhelmed.

Old 04-03-2021, 05:33 PM

344 posts, read 243,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You answered your own question (bolded). ‘Reasonably priced’ would just attract even more tourism, of lower spending. Hawaii is already overwhelmed.

I would not think that the owners of these hotel chains care much about the level of tourism, or the total dollars spent. If it were profitable, I would have expected them to open some here.

Are there other barriers that prevent them from doing so? Hard to imagine it is because they are worried that Hawaii has too much tourism. If anything, that would seem like an incentive to them.

I am not saying i want more low end hotels here, just curious why they don't already exist.

Old 04-03-2021, 06:00 PM

6,381 posts, read 4,755,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
I would not think that the owners of these hotel chains care much about the level of tourism, or the total dollars spent. If it were profitable, I would have expected them to open some here.

Are there other barriers that prevent them from doing so? Hard to imagine it is because they are worried that Hawaii has too much tourism. If anything, that would seem like an incentive to them.

I am not saying i want more low end hotels here, just curious why they don't already exist.
Oceanfront land is too expensive to support low-rise motels and tourists don't come here to stay inland. They want to be as close as possible to the ocean. Hence, motels aren't as cost-effective.

Maui has some old ones in Kahului. At least one near the college has been converted to student housing. There is also one or two in Kihei.

Courtyard by Marriott built a new motel near the airport a few years ago. I assume it is mostly used by flight crews or people with late arrivals or early morning flights. It seems unlikely that tourists would spend what it costs to get here only to buy a room overlooking Costco's gas station.
On the plus side, it has a food truck court on the property.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 04-03-2021 at 06:09 PM..

Old 04-03-2021, 06:13 PM

21,568 posts, read 16,079,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Oceanfront land is too expensive to support low-rise motels and tourists don't come here to stay inland. They want to be as close as possible to the ocean. Hence, motels aren't as cost-effective.

Maui has some old ones in Kahului. At least one near the college has been converted to student housing. There is also one or two in Kihei.

Courtyard by Marriott built a new motel near the airport a few years ago. I assume it is mostly used by flight crews or people with late arrivals or early morning flights. It seems unlikely that tourists would spend what it costs to get here only to buy a room overlooking Costco's gas station.
On the plus side, it has a food truck court on the property.
You beat me to it ... and smaller, low cost operators won’t get any development support from government sources, nor any networked by government relationships.

Old 04-03-2021, 06:36 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,049,393 times
Did anyone mention the exotic babes?
https://www.****/photos-im...ni-hawaii.html

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mageBasicHover

Old 04-10-2021, 06:53 PM

8,862 posts, read 5,888,260 times
Even people from Florida who are surrounded by beaches acknowledge that Hawaii is special. The beauty is hard to describe - it's ethereal.

Old 05-07-2022, 06:31 AM

79 posts, read 52,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenGraves View Post
Hello everyone,
Referring to Hawaii, people immediately think of the beaches, extremely hot samba dances. Hawaii is a place that anyone should go once in a lifetime if given the chance. I don't know why Hawaii is such a good place to travel? Can you tell me?
Thanks everyone.
World-class beaches, pristine rainforests, and raging volcanoes are just a few of the attractions that make Hawaii a popular tourist destination. Every Hawaiian island has its own allure, making this state full of adventure and luxury no matter which way you turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii