Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 02:02 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times

Advertisements

Tourists come here and lay in the sun, day after day, only moving to apply more sunscreen. Wouldn't it make better tanning sense to lay out for half an hour or an hour each day minus the sunscreen and spend the rest of the day in the shade? I see people with sun damage around their eyes, lips, scalp, etc. where they don't put sunblock.

When I go to the beach I sit in the shade and only apply sunblock when going in the ocean.

Am I missing something here? Are UVA & UVB rays different from the rays that tan you?

Last edited by Futuremauian; 01-23-2022 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 03:47 PM

1,014 posts, read 479,885 times
Not often. As an adult, we'd have enough sun in our time. Staying out of the sun 24/7 is the normal routine for adults. Yes, sunscreen is used when going out. It doesn't necessarily mean only to the beach. Going to the beach is hardly ever done as an adult. Remaining indoors and true to the indoor experience is the upmost importance now as an adult. When it get's summer time, buying loose clothing and shorts to wear indoors is a must. During the winter times, a new set of clothes is required. So that is the whole scoop on sunscreen. Only when going out in the sun, even for a few minutes, then back indoors again, where I work.

Old 01-23-2022, 05:27 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyCable View Post
Not often. As an adult, we'd have enough sun in our time. Staying out of the sun 24/7 is the normal routine for adults. Yes, sunscreen is used when going out. It doesn't necessarily mean only to the beach. Going to the beach is hardly ever done as an adult. Remaining indoors and true to the indoor experience is the upmost importance now as an adult. When it get's summer time, buying loose clothing and shorts to wear indoors is a must. During the winter times, a new set of clothes is required. So that is the whole scoop on sunscreen. Only when going out in the sun, even for a few minutes, then back indoors again, where I work.
I just returned from Black Rock in front of the Sheraton Maui. There were adults all over the beach that didn't get your memo.

A man laying in front of my shady spot sprayed so much sunscreen I felt I was well-protected by the overspray. I spent 30 minutes in the ocean and the rest in the shade.

Old 01-23-2022, 05:33 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,065 times
If I'm going to be in the sun for long periods, like on a boat for example, I will. I wear a rash guard when I'm in the water snorkeling, but might apply sunscreen to my face only. I'm usually out in the early morning and only for an hour or so before mid-day. I wear a hat and like most locals, know how to keep from burning. Having a sunburn is the mark of a tourist.

Old 01-23-2022, 06:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Staying out of the sun 24/7 is the normal routine for adults.
24/7 sun might be normal in the arctic/Antarctic winters - anywhere else, not so much.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:53 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Quote:
Maybe true in Honolulu, but here on the Big Island we retired grown-ups go to the beach weekly. Thursday is Ho'okena day; it's the beach closest to where I live. We see lots of other grown-ups there, too.

Old 01-24-2022, 11:15 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Maybe true in Honolulu
Not true in Honolulu either. People are not visiting for the empty beaches.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:39 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
I live in a beach town. I used to use sunscreen religiously every time I went to the beach or anywhere else where I was exposed to the sun for any extended period of time. And always wore a hat. The result in ten years time I got three separate skin cancers all on the face.

Old 01-24-2022, 02:06 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I live in a beach town. I used to use sunscreen religiously every time I went to the beach or anywhere else where I was exposed to the sun for any extended period of time. And always wore a hat. The result in ten years time I got three separate skin cancers all on the face.
Wore the hat and did the sun screen. Still got Skin Cancer's on back, shoulder, and arms.
Now wear Long Sleeve shirts and Hat, and sun screen for neck and face. I do not go to the beach or pools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: