Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 07:22 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And in the case of the whole USA, which is a mess right now, “the people managing it” for the past 4 years were republicans …

… and for the 8 years before that: were democrats …

…And before that for 8 years: were republicans …

Rinse and repeat.

It’s not complicated: politicians are mostly incompetent, self-serving, self-absorbed, narcissistic, career jerks. Political party ideologies aren’t the issue.
I would say the main problem is the extreme partisanship that has become the norm. This has led to an atmosphere where there is no concession and nobody will reach across the aisle to get things done. Now the members of each party simply obstruct and wait until their party "regains control". This is a politicians' dream: no need to actually do your job as the members of your party will back your innefective, obstructionist approach to leadership.
It's the reason I now identify as independent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2021, 07:55 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well said.

Though I think Hawaii's problem is one party rule (essentially). Wouldn't matter if it were Dems or Reps, one party being in charge all the time does no one any good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
I would say the main problem is the extreme partisanship that has become the norm. This has led to an atmosphere where there is no concession and nobody will reach across the aisle to get things done. Now the members of each party simply obstruct and wait until their party "regains control". This is a politicians' dream: no need to actually do your job as the members of your party will back your innefective, obstructionist approach to leadership.
It's the reason I now identify as independent.
I am a-political. Politics is obviously a necessary evil in any society larger than cave-dwelling clans … so I accept its reality. But it has pretty much no more interest for me than professional sports, with various teams going to championships alternately as the seasons roll on. Cheering crowds waving pennants can’t recruit me.

To tie it back to the post - or, I should say ‘screed’ - that triggered this tangent: “leftist” politics isn’t Hawaii’s problem … politics is immaterial to the unique position of these little spots of land in the middle of the big ocean. No political savior or system is gonna perform ‘miracles’ whatever definition anyone wants to apply to the word.

Just enjoy the days. Surf’s up …

Old 01-17-2022, 10:28 AM

175 posts, read 183,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
To begin with, we already have the problem of too many tourists here. We don't need or want more.

I live in Maui and I don't see what you are describing, aside from abandoned vehicles and I wish the county would tow them away more quickly. That said, it wouldn't hurt to spruce up the islands a bit. The same could be said for Texas and most other places!

On which island did you see "piles of trash everywhere"?
you serious?

veterans highway has trash along the entire thing.
maalaea stretch also littered with trash thats probably been there for decades. homeless people and their stupid shopping carts, etc.
same with the olowalu stretch, abandoned cars, litter, random piles of homeless trash
dont even get me started on the area around walmart, litter and homeless central.

why aren't the cops doing their job and removing these people, who are clearly breaking the law, from the streets? they should be in prison. while these people destroy the environment, negatively affect the image of the islands and create an awful society for everyone, cops are more concerned about giving tickets to people going 10 over the speed limit. sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: