Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 01:52 PM

21,760 posts, read 16,386,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Nothing wrong with people moving in - but Texans? I don't think so.
Lol.

But, not sure how anything gets better with more people. Then again, that applies to anyplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 02:28 PM

175 posts, read 183,591 times
personally, I think the fewer people in hawaii, the better. majority of these young people with degrees are leaving because there simply isn't jobs for what they do.

I think the government should also jack up the tourist tax to the point only rich people are able to go to hawaii. make it as expensive as bora bora. then, use the tax revenue to:
- ship out all the homeless people to the mainland
- clean up the islands by picking up trash on the streets and beaches left over by inconsiderate tourists, residents and homeless people
- infrastructure (better roads, parking lots, public restaurants that aren't infested with diseases, etc)
- beautification projects
- decent/updated buildings for businesses (right now a lot of business structures are old and falling apart)

can you imagine if these were implemented how amazing hawaii would be?

Last edited by TexasBound19; 01-10-2022 at 02:37 PM..

Old 01-10-2022, 03:33 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,069,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBound19 View Post

Instead of the sh*thole it is today?

Old 01-10-2022, 04:55 PM

175 posts, read 183,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
Instead of the sh*thole it is today?
the "sh*thole" part is mainly due to abysmal leadership. if we had people who gave a F, hawaii would look like St Barts, except 100x better.

and correction "public restrooms" not public restaurants lol

Old 01-10-2022, 07:07 PM

30,662 posts, read 18,276,650 times
Quote:
personally, I think the fewer people in hawaii, the better. majority of these young people with degrees are leaving because there simply isn't jobs for what they do.

I think the government should also jack up the tourist tax to the point only rich people are able to go to hawaii. make it as expensive as bora bora. then, use the tax revenue to:
- ship out all the homeless people to the mainland
- clean up the islands by picking up trash on the streets and beaches left over by inconsiderate tourists, residents and homeless people
- infrastructure (better roads, parking lots, public restaurants that aren't infested with diseases, etc)
- beautification projects
- decent/updated buildings for businesses (right now a lot of business structures are old and falling apart)

Care to share specifics on the percentage increase you'd envision taxes would be to support such a proposal? I'm genuinely curious.

Also, how exactly would you ship and keep the homeless off of the islands?

I know this is in an ideal world, but I'm trying to figure out if you think this can actually be accomplished. I'm always open to discussion and the possibilities

Old 01-11-2022, 11:08 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
if we had people who gave a F, hawaii would look like St Barts, except 100x better.
Quote:

I think the government should also jack up the tourist tax to the point only rich people are able to go to hawaii. make it as expensive as bora bora.
Comparing Hawaii to islands each with a population of 10,000 people isn't a comparison.

Old 01-11-2022, 03:46 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,258,314 times
True

Old 01-11-2022, 09:58 PM

30,904 posts, read 36,998,853 times
Quote:
It is one thing to lose some population year after year - but losing the educated will continue to hurt the islands.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2022/01/ha...-states-again/

The population decline has continued in the islands, but in 2020-2021, Hawaii was no longer mostly alone. It was one of 17 states and the District of Columbia with a net loss of residents.

The bad news: Hawaii lost more residents than all but three other states.

Tilted “Brain Drain: Characteristics of Hawai‘i-Born Adults on the U.S. Mainland,” the study by DBEDT economist Wayne Liou found that kamaaina “leaving for the mainland are both younger and more educated.”

For instance, the study found that almost 15% of Hawaii-born people living on the mainland are between the ages of 18 and 44 and have a bachelor’s degree or higher, compared to 7.7% of those remaining in Hawaii. Another finding: in sheer numbers, there are more Hawaii-born people with a bachelor’s degree or higher living on the mainland than there are who stayed in the state.

“Thus, brain drain of young, educated working-age adults appears to be non-trivial,” Liou wrote.
There was no mention in the article about what's driving young, educated people out of the state. No mention of Hawaii's high housing costs. If you don't build enough housing, then of course the non-rich, but more ambitious members of the middle class will leave. The same thing is happening in California.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Leave it to the Pope to solve Hawaii's problem - more children! That's it - taking my pets to the shelter and beginning the procreation process straightaway.....

https://www.foxnews.com/world/pope-c...en-selfishness

Pope Francis on Wednesday branded couples who adopt pets instead of children as "selfish" as part of a call to resolve the "demographic winter" that the West faces.

The pope addressed a general audience on the topic of parenthood and called on people to have more children as the West faces a declining population.
I didn't think I'd ever agree with Pope Francis, but I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Maybe - but it appears at least to me the people leaving are the ones who can actually afford to live here......
That's usually how it goes. More ambitious people usually have multiple options. Less ambitious people don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii