Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 09:49 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times

Advertisements

It is one thing to lose some population year after year - but losing the educated will continue to hurt the islands.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2022/01/ha...-states-again/

The population decline has continued in the islands, but in 2020-2021, Hawaii was no longer mostly alone. It was one of 17 states and the District of Columbia with a net loss of residents.

The bad news: Hawaii lost more residents than all but three other states.

Tilted “Brain Drain: Characteristics of Hawai‘i-Born Adults on the U.S. Mainland,” the study by DBEDT economist Wayne Liou found that kamaaina “leaving for the mainland are both younger and more educated.”

For instance, the study found that almost 15% of Hawaii-born people living on the mainland are between the ages of 18 and 44 and have a bachelor’s degree or higher, compared to 7.7% of those remaining in Hawaii. Another finding: in sheer numbers, there are more Hawaii-born people with a bachelor’s degree or higher living on the mainland than there are who stayed in the state.

“Thus, brain drain of young, educated working-age adults appears to be non-trivial,” Liou wrote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 11:04 AM

1,731 posts, read 1,067,463 times
Seems it will make the on island educated more valuable.
Also seems there will be fewer people vying for the resources I want.

If I want intelligent conversation i can talk to a wealthy educated tourist.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:46 AM

Leave it to the Pope to solve Hawaii's problem - more children! That's it - taking my pets to the shelter and beginning the procreation process straightaway.....

https://www.foxnews.com/world/pope-c...en-selfishness

Pope Francis on Wednesday branded couples who adopt pets instead of children as "selfish" as part of a call to resolve the "demographic winter" that the West faces.

The pope addressed a general audience on the topic of parenthood and called on people to have more children as the West faces a declining population.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Leave it to the Pope to solve Hawaii's problem - more children! That's it - taking my pets to the shelter and beginning the procreation process straightaway.....

https://www.foxnews.com/world/pope-c...en-selfishness

Pope Francis on Wednesday branded couples who adopt pets instead of children as "selfish" as part of a call to resolve the "demographic winter" that the West faces.

The pope addressed a general audience on the topic of parenthood and called on people to have more children as the West faces a declining population.
Um,...how many children does the Pope have?

Old 01-05-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
Selfish!

Old 01-05-2022, 12:54 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
He is encouraging people to ADOPT children ,not make more ..I don't know how you can't see that . Fox news is a laughing stock anyway but still.... hes not telling anyone to MAKE more kids .

Old 01-05-2022, 02:20 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,105 times
Quote:
That he knows of?

Old 01-05-2022, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
losing the educated will continue to hurt the islands.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2022/01/ha...-states-again/

Tilted “Brain Drain: Characteristics of Hawai‘i-Born Adults on the U.S. Mainland,” the study by DBEDT economist Wayne Liou found that kamaaina “leaving for the mainland are both younger and more educated.”

there are more Hawaii-born people with a bachelor’s degree or higher living on the mainland than there are who stayed in the state.

“Thus, brain drain of young, educated working-age adults appears to be non-trivial,” Liou wrote.
Uh, every Hawaiian born person with a bachelor's degree could move to the mainland with little to no effect. The jobs would be filled by mainland people. And actually how many jobs that need a higher education could not be filled by people on the mainland using technology? Even a lot of medical needs could be met online.

The tourist need bell hops and desk clerks and tour drivers not rocket scientist..

Old 01-06-2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Uh, every Hawaiian born person with a bachelor's degree could move to the mainland with little to no effect. The jobs would be filled by mainland people.
Except they aren't - Hawaii has more births than deaths - and a large number of net migrations moving out of state - far more people leave than move in - and besides, the educated tend to know better than to move to Hawaii versus the inflow of waitresses and bartenders.....

Old 01-06-2022, 08:39 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
I had no idea that Hawaii had joined the ranks of the shrinking states. Mississippi, my own state, has been talking about it for a few years and locally we all know that real careers are rarely found in Mississippi.
But in our case there are few tourists. We get the ones who follow home fix-up shows and we get some retirees who are usually jolted when they realize Mississippi can be a very pleasant place to live - especially when cost of living is factored in.
Mississippi will probably never grow again - at least not significantly.
Will Hawaii? .......... What do you Hawaiians think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii