Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 11:59 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,258,314 times

Advertisements

It's not the price of the house/Condo that is the killer to local folks. It's the up front money you have to put down to beat the other guy's price for the house/Condo that drives the price up. Not counted in your home Mortgage Loan you have to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 03:14 PM

30,662 posts, read 18,282,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg67 View Post
Nothing new. Old news to locals. And mainlanders will continue to ignore it, think they're the exception or just yolo it. People just want their slice of paradise.
It may be worth it to some people, but it's mind-goggling to me all the same. There are other remote paradise locations in the US that are less expensive to live than Hawaii. Hawaii isn't the be all and end all in that sense.

Old 02-02-2022, 04:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
There are other remote paradise locations in the US that are less expensive to live than Hawaii.
The other "paradise" locations typically aren't on a 40x14 mile island 2,500 miles from the rest of the US.

However, if we do look at an area small in area - such as San Francisco, it should be noted the median price in SF is 50% higher than Oahu.

Old 02-02-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The other "paradise" locations typically aren't on a 40x14 mile island 2,500 miles from the rest of the US.

However, if we do look at an area small in area - such as San Francisco, it should be noted the median price in SF is 50% higher than Oahu.
I was thinking more like the US Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico. Closer to the mainland than Hawaii is, yes, but still remote paradises in their own right. And still cheaper than Hawaii. Heck, even Guam is a little cheaper than Hawaii. Note, cost of single family homes seem to be significantly less expensive in these locations than in Hawaii.

Old 02-02-2022, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I was thinking more like the US Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico. Closer to the mainland than Hawaii is, yes, but still remote paradises in their own right. And still cheaper than Hawaii. Heck, even Guam is a little cheaper than Hawaii. Note, cost of single family homes seem to be significantly less expensive in these locations than in Hawaii.
Try going to the US Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico in the Summer and report back on this paradise.

And besides the resorts - they feel closer to 3rd world than to a US State.

Old 02-02-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Try going to the US Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico in the Summer and report back on this paradise.

And besides the resorts - they feel closer to 3rd world than to a US State.
I will say I've heard many say that about parts of Hawaii, too

I'll take your word on Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, though, as I haven't been there. I haven't heard people describe San Juan to feel third world, though.

Guam, where I have been, doesn't feel much different from Oahu to me. It does get hellish hot in the summer, though.

Old 02-04-2022, 07:27 AM

464 posts, read 315,755 times
Quote:
It may be worth it to some people, but it's mind-goggling to me all the same. There are other remote paradise locations in the US that are less expensive to live than Hawaii. Hawaii isn't the be all and end all in that sense.
I've lived in California and Florida among other places. I have an oceanfront single family home (although not in Hawaii). What's attractive about Hawaii is the Asian/Pacific culture and vibe. You don't get that in Malibu, Key West, Puerto Rico. -And there's nothing I can do to recreate that authenticity. Asia, broadly speaking, is trendy these days. Just look at all the coverage from Youtubers/influencers on Asia vs. Europe or Africa or anywhere else.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foulball View Post
Asia, broadly speaking, is trendy these days.
That has absolutely nothing to do with housing prices in Hawaii. And for anyone expecting Asian high rises and neon/LED billboards - they'd be very disappointed.

Old 02-04-2022, 01:10 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,667,250 times
As a PR native im fascinated by some of the narrative of this thread. Anglocentric garbage run amok.

An archipelago congressionally pork barreled all the way to third freggin' base, and they think they hit a triple. Lmfao.

Old 02-05-2022, 03:06 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,841,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
As a PR native im fascinated by some of the narrative of this thread. Anglocentric garbage run amok.

An archipelago congressionally pork barreled all the way to third freggin' base, and they think they hit a triple. Lmfao.
Some places have all the luck!

Puerto Rico, not so much. I understand it's becoming increasingly popular as the primary residence for "new money" people avoiding taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii