Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 08:24 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
My opinion is hardly anyone on Oahu could care less about the outer islands that essentially subsidized by Oahu and don't really produce anything - except take a lot of public assistance - it is what it is.
Not everybody is as transactional as you apparently are. In fact, a whole lot of folks aren’t
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 08:35 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,065,441 times
Quote:
Actually born and raised in the Midwest - in the meanwhile, I don't sugarcoat things.

People in Kauai are incredibly shortsighted - would they prefer a hotel/land developer as an alternative?
Born and raised in the MidWest also but consider myself a Hawaii resident that spends almost 6 months in California. Now I don't think Zuck or Chan have even one Kauai vote between them. The voting population in that 72,000 residents could cause them a lot a grief so I would not say they don't matter. Now I do agree that Hawaii as a state needs to set out a plan of action for the state. Do we go to the highest bidder or carve out lands for local born only or what. Pointing out the hurdles for this is better than telling people they are not part of any action.

Old 02-14-2022, 09:04 PM

344 posts, read 250,259 times
Quote:
My opinion is hardly anyone on Oahu could care less about the outer islands that essentially subsidized by Oahu and don't really produce anything - except take a lot of public assistance - it is what it is.

I suspect a lot of people on the mainland feel the same way about the residents of Hawaii, including Oahu.
It's all relative.

Old 02-14-2022, 09:32 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
Well, considering that the ultra rich seem to eschew Oahu and make their (palaital) homes on the outer islands, those islands do seem to matter to someone.
Oahu doesn't even join the list until #11.

https://www.honolulumagazine.com/the...mes-in-hawaii/

Old 02-14-2022, 09:33 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,065,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
I suspect a lot of people on the mainland feel the same way about the residents of Hawaii, including Oahu.
It's all relative.
Oh yeah, but our almost 563,000 votes in the 2020 election proved us to be the king makers we......nevermind.

Old 02-15-2022, 12:02 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Hmm! I've always read that ALL of Hawaii including Oahu is heavily subsidized by the Federal Government.

In the past, it was 8 Fed dollars matched each tax dollar collected and spent in Hawaii. Probably much more now.

What things are subsidized by Oahu on the outer islands? They certainly don't provide Federal public assistance money.

The vast majority of Federal Education dollars, per student, are spent on Oahu.

I recall reading that Oahu was attempting to confiscate Maui transient accommodation taxes to spent on your rail boondoggle.

What does Oahu actually produce?

Old 02-15-2022, 12:02 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Not everybody is as transactional as you apparently are. In fact, a whole lot of folks aren’t
You have a source for that? At the end of the day - what do the outer islands offer except a money drain? The only reason the outer islands are not 3rd world is because of the financial support of Oahu - and we don't get anything in return - except grief.

At least on the mainland - in rural South you've got car factories - the Dakota's call centers - etc.

Kauai - a missile launchpad. That is really about it - and even that misses a lot. They can't even get that right.

Old 02-15-2022, 12:11 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post

What things are subsidized by Oahu on the outer islands? They certainly don't provide Federal public assistance money.

The vast majority of Federal Education dollars, per student, are spent on Oahu.

What does Oahu actually produce?
How many oil refineries on the outer islands? We can start with that. What financial services industries are on the outer islands? Almost the entire military economic engine is on Oahu. Practically any manufacturing occurs on Oahu. And no island comes close to generating the tax revenue of tourism and income taxes that Oahu does.

What does Maui produce - sugar cane? You can't even do that.

Oh - and you are welcome for all the Medicaid money.

Outer islands have short man defensiveness. Just saying - but in the end - still short.

Old 02-15-2022, 06:27 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleynielson View Post
Zuckerberg was accused of trying to colonize the island. As the Daily Mail notes, Zuckerberg, along with his wife Priscilla Chang, purchased a 700-acre property in Hawaii in 2014 for $200 million. Later, two additional plots were bought and plans were announced to build a two-meter wall around the perimeter of the property. All this caused indignation on the part of local residents.
The land was granted to the Hawaiians in the middle of the 19th century, but since many of them died without leaving a will.
It is noted that in 2017, Zuckerberg filed a lawsuit in order to establish the owners of several plots of land in order to expand his holdings.
Later, the head of the social network withdrew the lawsuit and wrote an article for The Garden Island, promising to "find a better approach." A spokesman for the head of Facebook denied that the entrepreneur was trying to oust local residents from their land.
In other words, some locals are upset that Zuckerberg followed the laws as passed by these locals' representatives This includes the lawsuits to establish ownership of multiple plots of land; it's identical to how things work in every state where all it takes is one in a group of owners can force the sale of a piece of real property even if the remainder of the group doesn't want to sell. We see it happen in divorce cases all the time as one example.

On the latter point, it's important to iterate that Zuckerberg, despite what some "activists" and media types alike have misleadingly claimed, has not brought independent action to get people to sell. Rather, he funded the lawsuits of fractional owners of the land in their bid to force a sale (again, this is allowed in every single state). Zuckerberg would not be able to do anything without the willing support of actual owners of the properties in question. The other owners--most of whom didn't even know they were fractional owners until the lawsuits were filed--would have been paid with proceeds from the sale. Nobody was being displaced from their homes by those lawsuits.

That said, I'm surprised that Zuckerberg--and while I completely acknowledge and support his right to do so--decided to even try to go that route to begin with as the negative press it would have and did bring about seemed rather evident.

Last edited by Tallysmom; 02-16-2022 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: Spam on quote

Old 02-15-2022, 09:00 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
How many oil refineries on the outer islands? We can start with that. What financial services industries are on the outer islands? Almost the entire military economic engine is on Oahu. Practically any manufacturing occurs on Oahu. And no island comes close to generating the tax revenue of tourism and income taxes that Oahu does.

What does Maui produce - sugar cane? You can't even do that.

Oh - and you are welcome for all the Medicaid money.

Outer islands have short man defensiveness. Just saying - but in the end - still short.
Does the oil refinery on Oahu donate its products to the outer islands? My impression is that they are SOLD, and at a profit. BTW: A lot of gasoline is now shipped directly from the mainland to us.

The military? How is the Federal military on Oahu providing money to outer islands?

Medicaid is 64% Federal money and 36% State money. We all pay taxes for that.

All of Hawaii, including Oahu, would be 3rd world without Federal support. We would look like Tonga otherwise.

Every Federal Agency is located in the state capital on Oahu. Just because Federal money is distributed from there does not mean Oahu is providing the support. It is Federal support just like Oahu receives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii