Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 09:01 AM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

More on Zuckerberg / Kauai. Maybe should post in that sub-forum … but seems the issue applies to all the islands what with Ellison on Lanai and other huge money acquisitions on Maui, etc.

Big money scoops up chunks of paradise … but also protects it? Well, yeah sorta kinda … I dunno. Can’t think of any appropriate, yet restrictive public responses.

https://www.sfgate.com/hawaii/articl...f-16841643.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 09:15 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
I say good on Chan and Zuckerberg for their great philanthropic efforts, which have and continue to make great differences across Hawaii.

You'll always have some detractors (and many of them may have legitimate grievances), but if I were them I wouldn't care if I was able to buy redemption. I would not have broken the law in acquiring the properties I did and, thus, wouldn't feel shamed about anything. My donations are just gravy on top of everything and me investing in my community.

I feel similar when people say that I should behave in a certain way in order to not upset locals and to fit in/be welcomed. While I don't go out of my way trying to upset locals (and I hope that everyone is able to get along), I also don't let the feelings of locals guide my behavior if I want to do something that isn't illegal.

Old 02-14-2022, 10:15 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Nothing like having to use a article from San Francisco on what is a non-issue in Hawaii.

Old 02-14-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Nothing like having to use a article from San Francisco on what is a non-issue in Hawaii.
Doesn’t appear to be a “non-issue” on Kauai.

Old 02-14-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Doesn’t appear to be a “non-issue” on Kauai.
The population of Kauai is 72,000 - at the end of the day they don't really matter -they literally don't bring anything to the table for the State except launch missiles. But nothing like needing a paper from San Francisco to make it an issue.

Old 02-14-2022, 11:02 AM

51 posts, read 42,082 times
I think a lot of these Uber Billionaires think they're going to ride out an Economic Apocalypse in the safety of their bunkers on huge chunks of land in remote places. I personally think they haven't fully planned for the tribalism of these cultures, the anger of the locals, the inaction of the local LE who are locals themselves, and the ultimate loyalty of their security force.

I read about an exclusive security forum which was attended by a very wealthy group of people where the question of maintaining authority over their security people was a big topic. One individual even brought up the idea of shock collars... If they think that the truly elite ex military security contractors that they hire are going to allow that, they've got another thing coming. Especially in a "Without Rule of Law" situation. Remember the later Roman Emperors during the disintegration of the Western Empire kept their positions only at the pleasure of their Praetorian Guard...

V/R

Old 02-14-2022, 01:01 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,067,874 times
Quote:
The population of Kauai is 72,000 - at the end of the day they don't really matter -they literally don't bring anything to the table
Man, it just seems like a California Caucasian could word this better.

Old 02-14-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
Man, it just seems like a California Caucasian could word this better.
Actually born and raised in the Midwest - in the meanwhile, I don't sugarcoat things.

People in Kauai are incredibly shortsighted - would they prefer a hotel/land developer as an alternative?

Old 02-14-2022, 03:57 PM

Quote:
The population of Kauai is 72,000 - at the end of the day they don't really matter -they literally don't bring anything to the table for the State except launch missiles. But nothing like needing a paper from San Francisco to make it an issue.
That is a remarkable statement, even from you.

Don’t like California coverage? Heh … local, state, national, international … conservative, liberal … take your pick … all are covering the purchases, the protections, and the controversial aspects.

But of course it’s a California media drumming non-issues relating to people who “don’t matter”. Lol

Why Zuckerberg Kauai Empire Now Includes Tragedy and More Controversy
https://beatofhawaii.com/why-zuckerb...e-controversy/

Mark Zuckerberg's controversial Hawaii estate adds once deadly reservoir, 110 more acres
https://thehill.com/changing-america...ii-estate-adds

Mark Zuckerberg and wife Priscilla Chan add ANOTHER 110 acres to their luxury Hawaiian estate
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...an-island.html

Mark Zuckerberg, Priscilla Chan pick up 600 more acres in Hawaii
https://nypost.com/2021/05/01/mark-z...res-in-hawaii/

Stop Mark Zuckerberg from Colonizing Kauai
https://www.change.org/p/stop-mark-z...lonizing-kauai

Mark Zuckerberg Expands Kauaʻi Estate With $17M Land Purchase
https://kauainownews.com/2021/12/27/...land-purchase/

Facebook founder buys more Kauai land, including Ka Loko Reservoir
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/...oko-reservoir/

I haven’t expressed a position. I have linked an interesting, widely covered story about an issue with multiple facets to ponder …

Old 02-14-2022, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
That is a remarkable statement, even from you.
My opinion is hardly anyone on Oahu could care less about the outer islands that essentially subsidized by Oahu and don't really produce anything - except take a lot of public assistance - it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii