Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 06:11 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times

Advertisements

Well, aerial culling is the way they deal with sheep overpopulation.
https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com...-on-mauna-kea/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2022, 06:15 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
A better solution is donation to food banks. I know numerous hunters that do that.
I didn't realize that was permitted without USDA inspection? Sounds even better!

Old 03-19-2022, 06:37 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I didn't realize that was permitted without USDA inspection? Sounds even better!
I looked and it seems that Hawaii doesn't have the program.

Here's an article that's germane to the thread.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2021/01/mo...ath-in-droves/

Old 03-19-2022, 09:00 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Here in rural Ka'u we help out our poor and kupuna by donating food. Retired fishermen who still like to take the boat out donate their haul to the local food bank. Recently some cattle were running loose and were a safety hazard, and the owner didn't want to come get them, so local hunters rounded them up and they became more food for the food bank. It's neighbors helping neighbors.

And, yes, White Viper, we also grow a bunch of food in our local community garden and donate our harvest to the food bank. Are you going to cry about all the carrots we're killing?

Old 04-06-2022, 05:24 PM

65 posts, read 35,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Well, aerial culling is the way they deal with sheep overpopulation.
https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com...-on-mauna-kea/
I seem to recall an earlier post about the same sort of culling, and that poster was mocked mercilessly.

Old 04-06-2022, 05:25 PM

65 posts, read 35,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Here in rural Ka'u we help out our poor and kupuna by donating food. Retired fishermen who still like to take the boat out donate their haul to the local food bank. Recently some cattle were running loose and were a safety hazard, and the owner didn't want to come get them, so local hunters rounded them up and they became more food for the food bank. It's neighbors helping neighbors.

And, yes, White Viper, we also grow a bunch of food in our local community garden and donate our harvest to the food bank. Are you going to cry about all the carrots we're killing?
You're not really helping them, except teaching them how to stay poor.

Old 04-06-2022, 07:39 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM1972 View Post
That's a pretty harsh assessment. But yeah, lets' not feed 80 year old tutu Leoni, she's a freeloader and needs to get a job.

Old 04-06-2022, 10:10 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
That's a pretty harsh assessment.
While I'll actually agree it was a bit harsh - Hawaii handouts are often over the top especially to able bodied people. A segment of the population certainly exists that needs handouts - however, a segment of the population in my opinion is just plain lazy and have no incentives to actually work.

I'm also not a huge fan of the prolific baby makers (male and female) who never had a chance to provide for these children (and don't stop at 1 or 2 or 3, etc....but again, just don't have an incentive to stop - and one could argue, have incentives to keep the prolific baby making going.

Old 04-07-2022, 04:45 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM1972 View Post
How sad that you say that. Do you not have any empathy for an 80 year old widow who appreciates having some food to eat for dinner? Or do you just think that anyone getting a free meal is a young baby mill on welfare?

We have a lot of people in Ka'u who live on a very limited income. People who worked hard all their life but had low paying jobs and no retirement plan. I'm very happy to help them out!

Old 04-08-2022, 10:51 AM

7,061 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I am not a fan of killing animals but what I hate worse is having them starve. So it would seem having a hunting season would solve the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii