Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2022, 04:37 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Scott Wise and his wife Sherry flew to Maui last fall to escape Colorado’s winter. The septuagenarian couple looked forward to spending some relaxing time with their kids and grandkids.

But a stroll down Front Street in Lahaina’s historic district soured the Wises’ vacation bliss when a pair of young shopkeepers confronted them on the sidewalk. The saleswomen beckoned the Wises inside their shop which features an expensive line of cosmetics.

Scott brushed them off. But Sherry, who goes by Sher, got lured in. The bait? A complimentary eye treatment that purported to reverse signs of aging.

“She said ‘I’ll go in and take a look and be right back out.’”

After about 90 minutes Sher reemerged from the shop, La Belle Ame, holding a package. Scott asked her what she had bought. She demurred, saying only “she had gotten something for herself.”

Later that evening at the couple’s rented condo at Sands of Kahana, Sher told Scott what had happened. Under extreme sales pressure, she had used the family credit card to purchase $4,531 worth of cosmetics.

“My wife kept saying that it was her granddaughter’s birthday, and she couldn’t stay long. But the salespeople in essence ignored that, insisting that my wife needed to take care of herself and her skin,” Wise said.

“They were browbeating her and refusing to let her go until she was finally so confused and frustrated that she was going to agree to anything just to get out of the store,” he said.

The couple returned to the shop the next day to try and get their money back. An employee gave them a number to call and request a refund. Wise called but nothing ever came of it.

Wise filed a police report.
https://www.civilbeat.org/2022/04/he...ion-in-hawaii/

I see Scott allowed his wife Sherry to remain inside the shop for 90 minutes without checking in

All the laws and investigations in the world are not going to stop people from falling victim to such foolishness. It is very difficult for me to feel sorry for these folks, tourists or residents alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 06:31 PM

12,971 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Sounds like the same sales pressure as timeshares.

Old 04-01-2022, 08:42 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
https://www.civilbeat.org/2022/04/he...ion-in-hawaii/

I see Scott allowed his wife Sherry to remain inside the shop for 90 minutes without checking in

All the laws and investigations in the world are not going to stop people from falling victim to such foolishness. It is very difficult for me to feel sorry for these folks, tourists or residents alike.
All of the cosmetics shops on Front Street have aggressive foreigners here on work visas peddling expensive cosmetics. Both male and female, young, attractive and pushy, from Israel, Argentina, and other places, with excellent English skills.

I would agree that their pitch is a bit over the top, but I don't understand how someone cannot say "no" and walk out. Was she held against her will?

Spa treatments at hotels and on cruise ships are similar. Visitors are relentlessly harassed to buy. How can a massage be relaxing when accompanied by a high-pressure sales pitch?

Old 04-02-2022, 11:12 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
All of the cosmetics shops on Front Street have aggressive foreigners here on work visas peddling expensive cosmetics. Both male and female, young, attractive and pushy, from Israel, Argentina, and other places, with excellent English skills.

I would agree that their pitch is a bit over the top, but I don't understand how someone cannot say "no" and walk out. Was she held against her will?

Spa treatments at hotels and on cruise ships are similar. Visitors are relentlessly harassed to buy. How can a massage be relaxing when accompanied by a high-pressure sales pitch?
I will say that I don't enjoy being hassled in this way. But I guess I always took it as a part of living in a touristy location and don't support cracking down on the practice. I dare say that most tourists know enough to stay away from such individuals, but it only takes a few to make the practice financially worthwhile for the admittedly shady characters.

Old 04-02-2022, 11:22 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,558,876 times
The red flag here was the use of the word "Free".......
"Free" almost always comes at a price .......

Old 04-02-2022, 12:10 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
The cosmetic scam is not unique to Hawaii - they are aggressive at the Forum and Grand Canal Shoppes in Vegas.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii