Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 09:39 PM

52 posts, read 196,508 times

Advertisements

I have a 4 month Pomeranian and 2 month pit bull, since they dont have their rabies shot yet and will be moving in December and their will only be enough time for one rabies vaccination will they need the 120 day quarantine? I rilli dont want that to have to happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 01:09 AM

203 posts, read 1,358,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblessedmommy View Post
I have a 4 month Pomeranian and 2 month pit bull, since they dont have their rabies shot yet and will be moving in December and their will only be enough time for one rabies vaccination will they need the 120 day quarantine? I rilli dont want that to have to happen
From what I know, they need two rabies vaccines in their lifetime...need to be 90 days apart..and then after the 2nd one they can't enter Hawaii until I think it is 90 days. They need blood drawn and sent to a lab (for rabies), which must be done 120 days or more before arriving in Hawaii. Also, they must be microchipped prior to the blood being drawn.

So, basically it could all be covered within a 6 month time span. Start tomorrow! Good luck!

http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/aqsbrochure.pdf

Old 06-03-2008, 04:48 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,052 times
It's my understanding that it is critical to carefully follow the rules and have your paperwork in perfect order for the quick release. Don't expect "special treatment" or to "talk your way through." They take the agricultural laws -- which include bringing in pets -- very seriously over here.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:17 AM

ok I understand thanks very much! What would I do about their first shots though? The PLP before me gave them to the puppies. Its not on my vets records.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:32 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,052 times
I would suggest reading/downloading the Department of Agriculture guidelines, then discussing them and making a plan with your vet where you live now. If you haven't already gotten them, here's a link to a State of Hawaii Animal Quarantine general info page: Animal Quarantine Information — Hawaii Department of Agriculture

It also has links to the guidelines, forms, and other information you will need. There are also a number of good discussion threads here that you can access using the search feature for this forum. One recent (and lengthy) one is called "Animal Release at Airport," started by Frangi914, just a few topics down on the Hawaii forum page.

Good luck. The process is not fun, but it's better than the long quarantine.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:36 AM

203 posts, read 1,358,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblessedmommy View Post
ok I understand thanks very much! What would I do about their first shots though? The PLP before me gave them to the puppies. Its not on my vets records.
Need a record of both vaccinations per animal, with the signature of the veterinarian.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:31 PM

ok I will make an appointment today thanks for all the info! Much appritiated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii