Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 04:28 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times

Advertisements

OP, we built our house on the Big Island twenty years ago because that's where we could afford to live on a retired teacher's salary. Prices in our remote neighborhood have gone up considerably since then, but still lag behind Kona and majorly lag behind the mainland. BUT, there is a trade-off. We have to drive an hour and a half for decent shopping and medical care, and even then medical care is just basic. Price of gas right now is $2.00 per gallon higher than what we just were paying on the mainland.

Decent hotels on the west side of the island are outrageously expensive, even for kama'aina. AirBnBs are even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2023, 07:02 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
I suspect the local were saying the same when you initially moved there.
Apologies if you were born and raised in Puna. But, I often see transplants immediately wishing people would stop moving in.
Well no, I doubt many were saying that because the area wasn't crowded in the least during the 90's. Have you visited Puna over the years to see the change?

I've never said this about Juneau, Alaska over the past 60 years because it's still not crowded.

There is a distinction to be made between simply being anti new comer and anti sprawl, ya know.

Old 11-09-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post

Decent hotels on the west side of the island are outrageously expensive, even for kama'aina. AirBnBs are even worse.
No kidding? I had no idea. Of course, there are some cheap, "rustic" accommodations of this kind to be found on the east side.

Old 11-09-2023, 08:53 AM

1,230 posts, read 989,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
No kidding? I had no idea. Of course, there are some cheap, "rustic" accommodations of this kind to be found on the east side.
What happen when it was $100 night staying in hotel? What happen to those days?

Old 11-09-2023, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
What happen when it was $100 night staying in hotel? What happen to those days?
It's been quite awhile since you could get such a rate in Hawaii. At least 10-15 years, maybe 20.

Old 11-09-2023, 01:57 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
I lived in Puna for 12 years. The meme there is that most newcomers only last three years.

The cheap prices are far from the ocean (my house at least had a view of it, since we were far up the side of a live volcano). The cheapest prices are in zones 1 and 2; many of our friends who lived in those areas lost their homes to the volcano in 2018.

There is very little infrastructure.

Like shopping options, medical care is spotty on the Big Island; better on the West side than the East. I had an HMO; it seemed like a lark that I'd have to fly to Oahu for some procedures, but I was healthy at the time. When I got sick, it was a real drag having to spend a whole day to get a CT scan. (Where I live now, it takes less than an hour, including travel time.)

There are few jobs. When the subject comes up with local politicians, they talk about increasing tourism in the area, not real jobs that pay well.

Water is free in most of Puna! because there are no pipes going to each house, you catch the water that hits your roof in a cistern. It's up to you to treat it enough to be safe to use.

Waste disposal the same, cess pits, septic systems, and haul your trash to the (free) dump. Though some people did a poor job of that, tossing trash and furniture into empty lots, leaving dead cars and even boats in the road.

County doesn't maintain the roads in most of those subdivisions, so either residents pay, or the roads are crap.

And the politics!
You know the fire on Maui? The government spent hours negotiating water with the agribusinesses that control it, instead of yelling, "people first, profits second!"
There are safety sirens on the island to alert people, but the guy in charge decided not to set them off because people "might think it's a tsunami and run into the fire."
Hours wasted, people died.
A few years ago, every smart phone in the state lit up with a warning that a Korean missile was headed our way (not true, as it turned out). Why didn't smart phones warn people of the fire? Oh, somebody forgot.

Ahh, it's nice to get that off my chest (again) and feel good about my departure from paradise.

Old 11-11-2023, 05:04 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Yup, Steiconi, most newbies leave within a year or two. Something like half within the first year or so and then half of the remaining within another year or so. That leaves, what? Twenty five percent?

That means folks who move here aren't really going to find friends among the locals until they've been here a few years. It's just too tiring to keep making friends with newbies and then watch them leave again. Not quite as bad now that we can keep up via zoom and all, but before when it was long distance calls or letters, well, it wasn't worth the bother. Still, a zoom friend isn't near as much fun and one you can have lunch with.

One of the main reasons Puna is so cheap is because it's not got much. There's one main road in and out of either side of Puna. Anything happens to that road, in certain areas along the raod there may not even be a detour - you may just have to wait until the road is cleared.

There's three huge 'subdivisions' (note: we use the term 'subdivision', but they're nothing like what mainlanders think of when they hear the word 'subdivision') and a bunch of smaller ones. None of these subdivisions have water piped to the houses. None of them have sewers. None of them have mail delivery to the houses. None of them have trash service. None of them have paved roads. None of them have sidewalks. None of them have streetlights. No nearby shopping. None of them have soil, for that matter. The sales pictures may show lush green vegetation of some sort, but it's growing in an inch of leaf litter on lava. No real soil for gardening. Pizza delivery? Not!

No jobs in the area, everyone commutes to either Hilo or even Kailua-Kona for work. Which is via that one road. Same road you have to take to go shopping, too.

And all that is not even looking at the levels of thefts.

There's loads of reasons why Puna can be inexpensive.

Old 11-11-2023, 10:42 AM

1,230 posts, read 989,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
It's been quite awhile since you could get such a rate in Hawaii. At least 10-15 years, maybe 20.
Why is there such shortage of hotels? That it was 15 to 20 years ago the average price of hotel was $100 a night and now it is way more?

Old 11-11-2023, 06:02 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
Bubble, I challenge you to tell me anyplace that has the same prices for hotels or anything from 15 to 20 years ago. I don't understand why you think that doesn't happen in Hawaii.

Old 11-11-2023, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
Why is there such shortage of hotels? That it was 15 to 20 years ago the average price of hotel was $100 a night and now it is way more?
And I thought you always thought Hawaii was expensive. So why would hotels be any different?

I don't know why. Supply, demand, labor costs and availability, etc.

How about a hotel in Puna, Hawaii's low cost location? Oh wait, there aren't any.

As I've previously stated (didn't I?), you could probably find a relatively inexpensive air B and B in this area with substandard features.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii