Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 06:52 PM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times

Advertisements

I spent eight years in Honolulu, 70s and 90s, courtesy of the Air Force, and I loved it. The weather on the leeward side is as close to perfect as anywhere on Earth. I'm a black man, and I found the racial dynamics about as good as could be expected as well. My daughter went to elementary school there in the early 90s, loved it, and coming to the Mainland proved a racial shock that she's still not fully recovered from.

If you have the money to shield you from the financial liabilities, there's nowhere better to be IMO. But it takes a lot of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2023, 12:13 AM

532 posts, read 445,766 times
It's been about 40 years since I left Hawaii. I did the usual Marine Corps tours: East Coast, West Coast, Okinawa, and my 1st and favorite Hawaii!

I knew a couple years in that I would stay in the Marines for life and retire to Hawaii!

And here I am retired Army living in Alaska

didn't see that coming

Old 12-15-2023, 04:30 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carminesnow View Post
Maybe I'm totally wrong, and I guess it depends where you live in Hawaii, but all that nearly perfect weather all year long. Sun, warm, ocean, nature. Is it nearly a 'perfect'/ideal life living there?
I thought so too, until I watched a few Homestead Rescue shows there. Floods, fires, and slugs that spread parasites.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:52 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Maybe compared to Leeward locations, but compared to just about everywhere else in America, Hawaii's climate probably has the least variation, at least in terms of temperature, maybe not precipitation. Even the the all time high and low temperatures for Hawaii as a state are much closer than most other states. Whether you're talking about the state as a whole, or a particular location (eg. Honolulu), I still say Hawaii has the least temperature variation of any state.
Agreed. My location varies between an extreme low of around 55F to a high of 87F.

Neither too hot or cold to require AC or heating. IMO, that's a big plus. For others, maybe not so much.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:59 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I thought so too, until I watched a few Homestead Rescue shows there. Floods, fires, and slugs that spread parasites.
Flash floods, but not really much in the way of river floods because there are so few in the state.

Fires are uncommon, and when they occur it's brush fires rather than forest fires.

Rat lung disease tends to be overhyped. Actual cases are rare, with 5 in the last two years.

No snakes, no bears or other predators, but you did leave out hurricanes, earthquakes and lava flows!

Old 12-16-2023, 11:34 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Flash floods, but not really much in the way of river floods because there are so few in the state.

Fires are uncommon, and when they occur it's brush fires rather than forest fires.

Rat lung disease tends to be overhyped. Actual cases are rare, with 5 in the last two years.

No snakes, no bears or other predators, but you did leave out hurricanes, earthquakes and lava flows!
Every area has its issues.

Old 12-16-2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post

Hurricanes are more rare in Hawaii than the southeast of the Mainland (has to do with Hawaii being at a lower latitude). Lava flows are only on the Big Island, as are most earthquakes, and the likelihood of the ground trying to hurt you is still higher in California.

Old 12-16-2023, 03:42 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carminesnow View Post
Maybe I'm totally wrong, and I guess it depends where you live in Hawaii, but all that nearly perfect weather all year long. Sun, warm, ocean, nature. Is it nearly a 'perfect'/ideal life living there?
You sound like many people who move to Montana en masse. They then find out people there still have jobs and their problems tend to follow them. Quite a few end up homeless in the bigger cities since they thought it would be paradise and didn't think things true. Admittedly I've never lived in Hawaii but I do know it's very expensive and people there still have to work. They aren't on the beach all the live long day

Old 12-16-2023, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
You sound like many people who move to Montana en masse. They then find out people there still have jobs and their problems tend to follow them. Quite a few end up homeless in the bigger cities since they thought it would be paradise and didn't think things true. Admittedly I've never lived in Hawaii but I do know it's very expensive and people there still have to work. They aren't on the beach all the live long day
Not all day, but a lot of working people manage to get to the beach quite often. Some make it a regular part of their day.

I commuted to work by bicycle every day of the year. About two or three times a week my wife would meet me after work at the beach with a picnic dinner. We'd sit in beach chairs and eat while my daughter played in the surf.

Old 12-16-2023, 04:52 PM

814 posts, read 580,761 times
Hawaii is the perfect place for a relaxing vacation. Sitting in a chair at the beach while someone brings you drinks as you contemplate which restaurant to go for dinner is heaven. I loved it. But. Ya gotta spend. Like, a lot.

We lived in Nassau, Bahamas for three years in the early 80s and eventually that small-island feel can be claustrophobic. Add that to astronomical prices, shortages and bugs (bugs, bugs), and we were happy to return to CT.

That said, Hawaii has a different "vibe" (an overused term) and I'd go back to visit in a heartbeat. After robbing a bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii