Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 11:17 PM

62 posts, read 281,954 times

Advertisements

did you ship EVERYTHING you own? Or did you leave it in storage in Hawaii until you were sure you liked the Mainland and were going to stay?

I can't help but wonder if we should just bring the essentials and hold off on the rest. Of course we plan to get rid of a ton of stuff too.

feedback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 07:32 AM

156 posts, read 805,572 times
It's depends on WHERE are you moving. In many places your hawaiian stuff can be completely useless.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:30 AM

35 posts, read 183,480 times
When I moved from Hawaii to SC I used the Post Office. "Slow Boat" 70# boxes are the best deal. I sent boxes of sheets, clothes, books [special rate] and objects of special importance. For pictures I removed the glass for weight purposes. It takes 3-4 weeks so they were waiting for me at a friends house. Flat rate for small important [u]heavy[u]items.
I once moved everything inter-island for $5000. Crossing a small piece of ocean cost as much as a big move. I did not bring old family furniture to Hawaii so everything could be replaced.
I have been in SC since Feb.; bought a car for $2000 and furnished a 2 story house for less than $1500 with thrift stores, yard sales, and Craigs List. There are a few things I missed like some small hand tools and special kitchen gadgets and my vacuum.
All those boxes amounted to several hundred dollars. I packed carefully and nothing was damaged. I even packed 'under-the-bed' boxes and wrapped them in brown paper so I didn't have to replace them. That mailing cost was easily covered by all the stuff I sold before moving.
I'll never use a mover again after the inter-island ripoff.
I arrived with one large suitecase and my cat as carryon luggage. Non-stop flight from Honolulu to Atlanta
Check out the USPS website for details on costs. It is a slow boat so don't expect it right away. Each new box is like Christmas.
If you have a car you really like it could be worth shipping as a decent car and mechanic are not easy to find.
I have no regrets and love all my 'new' furniture. The only real mistake I made was not sending season appropriate clothes ahead. It was very cold at first and after 11 years in HI I didn't have much so had to quickly buy socks and sweatshirts.
Bottom line: just how attached to that couch or dresser are you?

Last edited by Hawaii Beth; 07-02-2008 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: incomplete sentance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: