Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 03:26 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,352 times

Advertisements

We landed in Maui on Dec 28th and were stunned again by how beautiful it is here. Its been kinda hard, as we expected.. a rental we were hopeful about didn't end up working out ..so not all good news, but we made it and are trying to get everything together. Wish us luck and thanks again for all the great advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 04:08 PM

501 posts, read 1,192,056 times
Although you're on Maui, and we are on Oahu, here's a warm welcome to the islands!
From your location, it looks like you moved from IL.

If you are still looking for a rental, may I suggest you check out vrbo.com. The rates shown on there are for vacationers, so don't panic. Explain that you have relocated from the mainland and perhaps the owner of whatever property you select will be willing to work out something with you. We went through them when we moved over here and managed to get a yr lease, at a cheaper rate than what was originally posted for vacationers.

Anyway, good luck to you, and again, welcome!

Old 12-30-2010, 05:01 PM

11 posts, read 25,726 times
Welcome aboard. I'll parrot my usual advice: provided you're not destitute, give it a solid year before you and your SO sit down for the stay/go decision.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:15 AM

Ok well the one that didn't work out ended up working out after all. Guess we were just impatient about getting a response, but it's easy to be impatient when you only have a place to stay while you look for 4 days! :P

When we lost hope on that place we did look at vrbo and had a couple backups that we were gonna try at 5pm yesterday if the guy didn't call by then.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:29 AM

820 posts, read 3,035,415 times
Welcome to Maui! Have you seen the whales sporting about yet? Don't forget the Whale Festival here in Kihei later in February. Sweet small parade (we'll be marching in it) and a nice gathering at Kalama Park.

Have you found jobs yet?

Old 12-31-2010, 02:46 PM

160 posts, read 485,981 times
Welcome!!! Have you checked the local craig's list for your island? I know a couple people here on the big island that wont rent to anyone but locals. And by locals, I don't mean Hawaiians, I mean they don't want tourists coming in to trash their places and disappear back to the mainland. Just a thought! Best of luck and Happy Holidays!

Old 01-06-2011, 09:28 PM

Yes we have been looking at craigslist since Feb just to get an idea about job and apartments.. and are still looking there for garage sales and stuff.

Seems like we're out of advice! Everyone keeps saying "check craiglist" "check mauinews.com" "check the maui bulletin" and "you know its a lot more expensive to live here...?" but that's ok I appeciate it anyways.

No we dont have jobs yet. A couple places have showed interest in my husband so well see if those work out. Nothing for me yet but we are spending most of our time focusing on jobs so hopefully we'll get lucky soon.

something I did want to ask: does Maui have a Goodwill store? We've been to Savers which is pretty much the same thing but can't find a Goodwill store and I was sure I saw somewhere that there was one here. Anyone know?

edit: and we did get that apartment I mentioned in the OP and have been living here for almost a week! yay for our week anniversay :P we have no intention of trashing it

Old 01-06-2011, 09:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
If you Google: Goodwill Maui you'll see the details for the store in Kahului

Old 01-06-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
If you Google: Goodwill Maui you'll see the details for the store in Kahului
ive found the goodwill office in kahului through my gps but cannot find the store. i feel like a dunce :P

Old 01-07-2011, 12:37 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
ive found the goodwill office in kahului through my gps but cannot find the store. i feel like a dunce :P
Call the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii