Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite sources for local/world news:
Coconut Wireless--my auntie, friend, cousin keeps me up to date 3 27.27%
CNN/Fox News/MSNBC or other cable news 3 27.27%
Local TV: morning/evening/nightly broadcast 5 45.45%
Star Bulletin or Honolulu Advertiser (printed edition) 5 45.45%
A neighbor island daily newspaper (printed edition) 4 36.36%
A free weekly local paper from a newsstand 1 9.09%
A "corporate" internet website (what is your favorite?) 3 27.27%
Other internet sites (blogs, forums, etc) 3 27.27%
Magazines that I subscribe to 1 9.09%
John Stewart's "Daily Show" 2 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 09:08 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,014 times

Advertisements

Just curious as to where you tend to get most of your news about Hawaii and about the world in general. I'm most interested in your sources for local news, but am including options for national/world news as well.

My list is by no means complete, please add your sources in a reply if there is something I haven't included.

(If you comment and your profile doesn't include a location, please note in your reply if your are on-island or if you live somewhere else--Mahalo!)

Last edited by cynmkolohe; 07-18-2008 at 09:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 09:21 PM

In addition to the coconut wireless, my major sources of local news are internet based since I work at my computer fairly regularly. We also record the local 10pm news...and the Daily Show.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:13 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,707 times
Default Other Newspapers Online

I start every morning in New York with the Times and the Wall Street Journal, then move down to the Washington Post, then across to the LA Times before I hit the Star-Bulletin and Advertiser online.

We buy the Maui News in print almost daily. And read several special-interest blogs and news consolidators throughout the day.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:18 AM

150 posts, read 725,959 times
I check several but my favorites are:

Maui TV News - Maui's Weekly Television News Program

and

Maui News

Old 07-19-2008, 04:53 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
We watch Daily Show for truth, CNN for entertainment. There's usually a fun car chase every morning. We also take the Hilo paper for the crosswords and to see who we know that got arrested.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:26 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
We also take the Hilo paper for the crosswords and to see who we know that got arrested.
LOL! Do they still identify the perp as "local" or "haole"? I think the Honolulu papers have dropped that.

Hank

Old 07-19-2008, 04:27 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,487 times
NPR every morning, the NY Times when I have a few moments (I love the new iPhone NY Times app... I can read it on the bus now instead of wasting time at work), and the Honolulu Weekly. I keep thinking I should get a local paper, but I haven't done so yet. I just don't have enough time. I do feel kind of out of touch with local events, though.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:13 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
We watch Daily Show for truth, CNN for entertainment. There's usually a fun car chase every morning. We also take the Hilo paper for the crosswords and to see who we know that got arrested.
And the cryptogram, don't forget that! The West Hawaii paper doesn't have one. Ooh, and the sudoku almost forgot that!

The arrest record just says their name and what village or town they are from and what they did to get into the listing, it doesn't say what their racial background may be unless we are supposed to be looking for them to report them to the police. Those folks get described by height, weight, hair, eye & skin color and any other descriptive terms which will help identify them.

I generally get my U.S. news from online international newspapers (the BBC is kinda fun) and if I need to know anything local, I just ask my neighbors or Leilaniguy since he keeps track of things.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:41 PM

Thanks for all the responses--I was prompted to ask the question after my parents called from the mainland asking if we were worried that lava from Kilauea was going to come down our street....our street name is similiar and they were a bit confused!

Old 07-21-2008, 03:33 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
I've gotten those worried calls a couple of times after mainland family watched news reports of a subdivision evacuation and houses burning. The burned houses hadn't been lived in since the 1980's and the evacuated subdivision had only 2 residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii