U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 03:40 AM

11 posts, read 25,980 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I've been reading the threads and various posts here for months now, and its been rather... educational. I've spent hours and hours reading various amounts of very useful information amidst some information that I've found to be less useful. In any case - it's been my attempt, to gather your knowledge from each thread/post and use it to answer questions that I have for my situation. Still unsuccessful, I'm bringing my questions to you. I appreciate any help you may be able to give.

My situation:
It, like most, has always been my dream to live in hawaii. I know about the risks involved, the cost of living, the typically low wage structure for a person in the service/hospitality industry. I think I know most of the more basic and well known facts regarding a transplant from the continental US to the Hawaiian Islands, but what I need are some educated opinions from people who know better than anyone. I am 27, I am a sales manager at a hotel/conference center in Texas with about 5 years in the Hotel industry and 4 in hotel management. I'd like to stay in this field if possible, regardless.. Theres me, my girlfriend and 3 children. She is an experience restaurant server.
My goal is simple. To be productive and live amongst you all for the rest of my life. If I had to live in a 1 room shack to make that possible, I'd do it but I have 3 kids to take care of also. 2 of which are my own. We, as a unit will have 12,000 dollars and a vehicle to enter the islands with. Given my situation, would it be more wise to begin on the big island where it is a little cheaper with less job opportunities, or to possibly take an even bigger risk by setting up in Oahu where housing is more expensive but with more job opportunities. I know it is sort of a toss up and no matter where you live there is always a give-and-take situation, but honestly, you guys know your cities better than anyone. If you were in my situation what would you do? I know some will say not to come, and it will be hard, especially with 3 kids and only 12,000 dollars, but please understand I am dedicated to the type of lifestyle you all live and both my girlfriend and I are more than willing to do whatever it takes to sustain a life in Hawaii. Is it possible given my situation? Where should I begin? Kona/Hilo or Oahu? Where should I plunge? Careful planning will be involved, no matter what. I am trying desperately to find a job and housing before arriving (feb 16 2009) but that may not happen. I'd like to just settle on a destination right now, regardless, buy tickets and formulate a plan. Kona/Hilo or Oahu? Thanks a million times
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 11:03 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,710,497 times
I wouldn't say don't come, but I might suggest that you wait a year. The tourism trades are very skittish over here right now. The effects of high fuel costs, the real estate bubble, and recession are just settling in, as we got a bit of a float while people continued to come on long-planned and often pre-paid trips.

Starting last month, occupancy has been way off during a season that is usually sold-out. And spending among those who are coming is down considerably, according to friends of ours who own businesses. This doesn't augur particularly well for people in your trade(s) for the upcoming months on either island.

Particularly because of uprooting the kids, I'd suggest you be certain you have a job/jobs in place that pays/pay what you think you will need. The $12,000 will not go far, especially if airfare for five must come out of that, too.

Most airfares to-and-from the mainland have doubled or tripled in the past six months, which not only drains your savings, but means fewer people are likely to come for a good while and that we may not have as many jobs anywhere as we did a year ago.

Best wishes.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:57 PM

Thanks for replying back. Hawaii will never go away, I have tried and tried because it has always seemed so unrealistic for all of the reasons that everyone is pretty well aware of by now. It just remains. I am going to come by myself for a few months and set up, then bring my family. Taking a chance with the kids could be a fatal mistake even though I'm pretty confident that I won't fail. We'll see, thanks for your opinion.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:06 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,285,151 times
I am in the hospitality industry and agree with the above poster. Although on Kauai, our occupancy hasn't been TOO bad (we are going to hit about 80% for the month- as compared to about 95 for last July). However, Maui is being hit especially hard, and Oahu isn't doing so well either. Basically my entire company is in a hiring freeze for the islands, and jobs are pretty scarce in the industry. Regardless, being a sales manager is a good occupation over here, and I know that you should be able to find a job in that field. Best of luck!

Old 07-19-2008, 11:30 PM

10,961 posts, read 21,971,953 times
Many more jobs on Oahu than on Hawaii. Especially in tourism. Folks aren't taking the multiple island trips as much because of the increased inter-island airfare as well as less tourists in general.

Just you moving over for six months to find work and housing sounds like a much more workable plan than to move everyone at once. Can you take a sabbatical from your present employment so if things don't work out this time you can go back and wait for the economy to improve?

Old 07-21-2008, 04:42 PM

Thanks, so what do you do within the hotel industry Mar0? 80% occupancy is not bad at all. Are you surviving? Whats your situation? If you dont mind me asking. Our occupancy (Dallas,Tx) is averaging around 70-80 during the summer months with an ADR of around 100.00. We are more than surviving here. The hotel industry hasn't really been hit here. Which is still no reason for me to stay. It's all about sacrifices, the big picture and end result are what is important, at least to me.

Thanks to you also HotzCatz, I can't really leave and return back to my position with any sort of ease. Returning back isnt the issue though lol. I'll be ok if I have to come back, I know the job and housing market here pretty well. Making it successfully there is what has me baffled. I hear so many different things. Come, dont come, you can do it, there is absolutely no way possible for you to make it. I just don't know which is more true. I think ultimately it is just the mentality that I arrive with. I am not a person that will be coming back home after being through the ringer. The lifestyle there is more than worth the sacrifice, and I am ready. I just want to hit the ground running and avoid some of the pitfalls that others have been faced with. Thanks again for every response. Hope to see you all soon

Old 07-21-2008, 07:51 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,299,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifix View Post
Thanks, so what do you do within the hotel industry Mar0? 80% occupancy is not bad at all. Are you surviving? Whats your situation? If you dont mind me asking. Our occupancy (Dallas,Tx) is averaging around 70-80 during the summer months with an ADR of around 100.00. We are more than surviving here. The hotel industry hasn't really been hit here. Which is still no reason for me to stay. It's all about sacrifices, the big picture and end result are what is important, at least to me.

Thanks to you also HotzCatz, I can't really leave and return back to my position with any sort of ease. Returning back isnt the issue though lol. I'll be ok if I have to come back, I know the job and housing market here pretty well. Making it successfully there is what has me baffled. I hear so many different things. Come, dont come, you can do it, there is absolutely no way possible for you to make it. I just don't know which is more true. I think ultimately it is just the mentality that I arrive with. I am not a person that will be coming back home after being through the ringer. The lifestyle there is more than worth the sacrifice, and I am ready. I just want to hit the ground running and avoid some of the pitfalls that others have been faced with. Thanks again for every response. Hope to see you all soon
Pac man, good luck with your travels my friend.....I'd say never move anywhere w/o a job but if you want it that bad, its yours! you sound like you have your mind made up already...Keep me posted as to what happens over there...are you going to leave the gf and the kids for good or are they going to re-join you eventually?

Also, what are you going to do when you get there and apply at all of tghe hotels for a job and when none of the hotels call you back? Something to think about...

Old 07-22-2008, 07:19 PM

Yea, I'm gonna bring them hopefully within a few months. When ever I can really. It is going to be a combined effort, and alot of sacrifice for everyone. Something we all have to do, but I think overall we will be ok and we think that it is the right decision. I don't know what I'll do if I get no call backs from any of the hotels I apply at. Scrub toilets? Mow lawns? Let natives throw rocks at the haole for 10 bucks per person? I may have to get creative. I'll definately keep you posted, are you currently in hawaii? I'll one day return to this forum and leave all of the answers to the questions I have, in one post with everything one needs to know about making it in Hawaii, with little money and a big dream. Give me a year. I'm looking forward to the struggle as much as I am the result. Thanks, A2M

Old 07-22-2008, 07:42 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,299,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifix View Post
Yea, I'm gonna bring them hopefully within a few months. When ever I can really. It is going to be a combined effort, and alot of sacrifice for everyone. Something we all have to do, but I think overall we will be ok and we think that it is the right decision. I don't know what I'll do if I get no call backs from any of the hotels I apply at. Scrub toilets? Mow lawns? Let natives throw rocks at the haole for 10 bucks per person? I may have to get creative. I'll definately keep you posted, are you currently in hawaii? I'll one day return to this forum and leave all of the answers to the questions I have, in one post with everything one needs to know about making it in Hawaii, with little money and a big dream. Give me a year. I'm looking forward to the struggle as much as I am the result. Thanks, A2M
Like I said, good luck to you and keep us posted!

P.S. made you say A2m!

Old 07-27-2008, 02:59 AM

10,961 posts, read 21,971,953 times
Maybe you could get a ruptured appendix, ringworm, the measles or something that would keep you hospitalized or at home for several weeks (if it were real) call in sick to work and then go to Hawaii and look for a job. If things are really dire, you could miraculously recover and go back to work without anyone knowing you'd been looking for work in Hawaii. It's kinda like a short sabbatical without the paperwork.

A friend of mine who works in hotels in Waikiki said his hotel was only booked to 38% for Thanksgiving holidays. They are usually already booked solid by now for Thanksgiving and over half booked for Christmas holidays by now. He said the current tourists were the ones who had already made reservations six months ago before airfares went up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>