Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocate to Hawaii: transplants, cost of living, job market, rent, home, Honolulu.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 11:43 AM

14 posts, read 39,810 times

Advertisements

Since I've been doing my job search to relocate to Hawaii, I've found nothing but barriers. Funny, but I find most of these barriers are put up by the transplanted mainlanders. I've never really heard a negative word about moving to Hawaii from native Hawaiians. It's too rainy, there's too much prejudice, the prices are too high yet you mainlanders stay and keep telling everyone else basically to stay away. I'm really disgusted and just about to give up on my quest to move to Hawaii. I'm not moving to Hawaii thinking it's pie in the sky. I've been to Hawaii enough, I already know the ups and downs which basically is the same as everywhere else, so why the hating so much on Hawaii?....I won't even start talking about the recruiters who are just as bad. My resume looks like the U.N of resumes. I've been all over the place like Japan and Korea but I still get this nonsense about moving to Hawaii first and seeing what it's all about then finding a job. My patience is really wearing thin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 01:16 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,470 times
I think because so many people might be inclined to think of Hawaii as a "tropical paradise" - just try telling people you're moving to Hawaii, as I've been doing for the past month or so - and see what the response is! "Wow!" "You're so lucky!" .... etc. - there is a perception out there that people might think of it a great idea, try to do it 'on a lark', without really understanding the 'downsides'. (Also, look at some of the other City-Data forums, they almost all tend to focus on the negative sides of places more than the positive.) We do get a lot of posts on here like "Hey, I'm thinking of moving to Hawaii" and when explored in more detail, it's clear that the poster has NO IDEA what is involved, what the cost of living is, what the job market is like, etc.

If you said "I'm thinking of moving to Kansas", people would probably assume that you had at least investigated what the area was like, considered whether there was a job there for you, what the schools are like, etc. But many people have a fantasy of living in a gorgeous place like Hawaii, not at all tempered by the realities of it.

Also, there seem to be a lot of people who actually move there and end up leaving in a year or two. Of course, that happens everywhere, but based on anecdotes, it happens more often in Hawaii. The move is difficult and expensive (or can be), so people are just trying to help others avoid leaping before looking by pointing out the 'downsides'. The high rate of 'recidivism' (i.e., moving back to the mainland after a year or two), and the practical barriers to moving (which may result in people abandoning a plan to move after seeking a job there) are, I think, the reasons for the recruiters' caution.

Seems to me the true barriers are erected by government agencies (e.g., Dept of Agriculture's requirements for pets, which have a good cause), and by the realities of moving over a large body of water (and for us out east, moving a substantial distance over land AND a substantial distance over water). You can't just jump in a truck and drive (yourself, your pets, your stuff) to wherever you're going. Of course, the same is true when moving to any overseas location. But I think fewer people would have an 'idolized' perception about moving to Europe, Japan, etc. than "moving to Hawaii". Again, just mention it to people and check out their responses!

All that other stuff is just people trying to share information, to save others potential troubles ahead. I read it, used what I could, investigated what was interesting, and am still moving. I don't see information about possible downsides to a move (bad schools, racial prejudice, high prices) as a "barrier".

And it is QUITE possible to move there and secure a decent job in a relatively short period of time. You just have to have the skills, work at it, and don't expect to make a mainland salary. The jobs are there.

What is your field, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 06-10-2008, 01:31 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
I think that the advice and perspective that many transplanted mainlanders have provided seem negative because there are a lot of issues that a transplant faces than a local. Also, there are different perspectives that are created by the fact that mainlanders have experienced life in both places, and thus can compare the two. As a local, you grow up here with the same people you see in your 40s. As a transplant, you are initially not part of this network. Obviously this happens when you move anywhere, but when people have grown up with the same families and friends for generations, it is hard to find your place initially. I have a wonderful set of friends here in Kauai, but I will never be able to meet a new person and say "Are you related to this person, and married to this person??" Also, it is really hard being away from friends and families during holidays, special occasions, etc. With the prices of flights having risen significantly, travel to your original home is limited. Many people don't realize how far the mainland is, which is again an issue that locals don't really consider. As far as prices are concerned, locals have always dealt with higher prices. I recently visited my parents on the east coast, and was shocked at how inexpensive things are- and there are areas on the mainland which are even cheaper. After living here for a bit, I have come to terms with the fact that the cereal I bought for $3.00 may cost $6 here, and just shrug when tourists ask my how I can afford it. As a local, you don't really experience the cheapness of many items on mainland that a transplant is familiar with. Racism is a whole other subject I don't want to get into, because I don't feel like its that bad, but I think a lot of people come to the islands not realizing that there are situations in which you may feel uncomfortable.

I think that you care misconstruing peoples advice and warnings as them telling you not to come. You are more than welcome to move here, but I am sure many people moved here thinking everything will be perfect- there are realities that you might not expect. And these realities are what people are trying to warn you of. You can definitely move here, and have a great experience (I know I love it here), but that won't mean you won't experience some issues that locals, having lived here their entire life, don't have to deal with.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:30 PM

14 posts, read 39,810 times
Thank you Sweetbeet and Mar0 for your comments. I've moved several times and it doesn't get easier. I do believe before someone moves anywhere, they need to check it out personally like I did. I guess I got upset because I really didn't see a lot of the negativity people have been talking about when I've been in Hawaii. I know it's expensive as hell, that's why I don't plan on moving anywhere until a job is secured. I have an interview next month so I have my fingers crossed.

In regards to Sweetbeet's question - I have been in the clerical/administrative field for nearly 20 yrs. I'm not picky and plan to use my skills in anyway possible. If I need to work 2 jobs, I don't mind. I'm not getting any younger and it's been a plan of mine to get to Hawaii for a while. I wouldn't want to say years later, I regret not having pushed for my goal. Even if I fail, at least I can say I gave it the best try I could.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:04 PM

7,913 posts, read 932,997 times
live in hawaii for a few years then come back and write what you think!

Old 06-11-2008, 02:56 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,457 times
Don't give up! You have a great attitude about new places and interests, and you have marketable skills and a well-thought-out plan! So many people who post are looking to escape where they are -- you want to move to a place you already love!

C'mon over! The weather's fine and you'll fit right in.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:46 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,457 times
Default PS- Honoluolu Is #1 Place to Live!

Today's Honolulu Star-Bulletin: Honolulu No. 1 quality place to live | starbulletin.com | Business | /2008/06/11/

Old 06-12-2008, 11:07 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
... If you said "I'm thinking of moving to Kansas", people would probably assume that you had at least investigated what the area was like, considered whether there was a job there for you, what the schools are like, etc. ...
No, actually, if you said you were thinking of moving to Kansas, people would think you were nuts!

You aren't nuts for thinking of moving to Hawaii ... it's a great thought. The reality, however, is that 80% or so of the mainlanders who move don't stay. And there Are many real good reasons for that statistic. Whether you would be one of those who give up on the place is unknown until you try.

I was there in the military ... then a number of times as a visitor ... then as a resident. I moved back to the mainland. I still have a love / hate relationship with Hawaii ... I am thinking of moving back again. Schizophrenic. Plenty to love. Plenty to drive you nuts.

And, by the way, don't forget that even LOTS of Hawaiians move away because it drives them nuts, too. But, then again, LOTS of people move all over the U.S. and the world for the same reasons.

Enjoy your experiment.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:48 AM

201 posts, read 823,117 times
They're just trying to keep it to themselves Oahu is altready overcrowded, they don't want one more.

j/k

'Eh you'll find some of those bad stories are true enough. Tourists are treated differently than transplants, its just a fact of life. Not all locals will be glad you loved there and it won't be all paradise. That said, you'll also find people who look for negative find it, and people with positive outlooks find plenty to like. I loved my time on Oahu and would love to go back.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:40 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,436,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYXENA View Post
Thank you Sweetbeet and Mar0 for your comments. I've moved several times and it doesn't get easier. I do believe before someone moves anywhere, they need to check it out personally like I did. I guess I got upset because I really didn't see a lot of the negativity people have been talking about when I've been in Hawaii. I know it's expensive as hell, that's why I don't plan on moving anywhere until a job is secured. I have an interview next month so I have my fingers crossed.

In regards to Sweetbeet's question - I have been in the clerical/administrative field for nearly 20 yrs. I'm not picky and plan to use my skills in anyway possible. If I need to work 2 jobs, I don't mind. I'm not getting any younger and it's been a plan of mine to get to Hawaii for a while. I wouldn't want to say years later, I regret not having pushed for my goal. Even if I fail, at least I can say I gave it the best try I could.
NYXENA,

That is very common...don't sweat it...I've come upon this as well but I think its because many people say they like to want to w/o realizing what the life entails there and really eventhough you say you really really really want to move there, nobody there will take you seriously because they know everyone says it!

I myself have been wanting to move there but on my own terms, meaning I have to have a better job/salary than the one that I currently have. I am not ready to sacrifice what I already have and many people that move there say "oh, i can do w/o this, oh i can do w/o that and then they get there and they find that they did want this and they do want that. If you really want to live there, just remember that you may find that you need to make do w/o some of the stuff that you did do with herer on the mainland.

Just ignore the naysayers...no employer in Hawaii is going to help you move there cause then they have their pick of the litter...it just does not work that way. From what I hear, if you are serious, it is better to just move there with few months rent so you have some credibility with your future employers....

No matter what the situation, HI employers, 9 out 10 will not hire you unless you are there. that is what i was told...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii