Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 07:03 PM

72 posts, read 316,730 times

Advertisements

What's so terrible about having kids participate in the cleaning of the classroom? If you want your children to be pampered princes and princesses, and never learn anything about responsibility, send them to an expensive private school.

By the way, I'm a teacher at a private school (not a U.S. one), and it's standard to have students help clean the school on a rotating basis. They learn to keep things clean, and they learn to do their part, and these are qualities that carryover to their adult lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 07:20 PM

200 posts, read 1,021,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
What's so terrible about having kids participate in the cleaning of the classroom? If you want your children to be pampered princes and princesses, and never learn anything about responsibility, send them to an expensive private school.

By the way, I'm a teacher at a private school (not a U.S. one), and it's standard to have students help clean the school on a rotating basis. They learn to keep things clean, and they learn to do their part, and these are qualities that carryover to their adult lives.
Ok, it is apparent that I need to elaborate a little more....I have no problem with kids (mine or someone elses) helping with their school or class-room clean-up BUT I do have a problem when the teachers are asking my kids and others to actually do ALL the clean-up for a higher grade! -I guess you missed that part of my original post?

-Additionally, I don't think public schools will teach anyones kid's more responsibiltiy than good private schools will. Parents are more involved when it comes to private schools and the teachers and staff are actually held to a higher standard and have accountability for their actions versus public school educators who can simply do almost anything they want as they are protected by a blanket system. I only wish we could still afford private school!! -What's the harm in giving your kids the best while they are still growing up....? -The world will be tough enough on them as it is.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:31 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,436,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post

OK Nickes....what do the school custodians do then? just clean the hallways? If Im a custodian, hell I want that job from that school

Old 07-29-2008, 10:44 AM

820 posts, read 3,034,996 times
Custodians also clean the bathrooms, gyms, storage areas, cafeterias...

And fix lights, doors, desks, bulletin boards.

And haul and install.

There is lots of work to do.

Please understand the kids are not waxing floors or scrubbing woodwork. They are straightening and tidying and doing a bit of dusting and wiping.

Don't parents have kids clean up their own rooms at home? Clearly not everyone does; some parents do it for the kids, or hire maids. But didn't it used to be that it was a good idea to teach children to clean up after themselves? When you go to a fast food restaurant, don't we teach our children to take their trays and rubbish to the trash? Or is that too demeaning for them and should be done by a paid worker?

It seems like good skills for a child to learn. They are not in some factory job; nor are they putting on overalls and scrubbing toilets, they are just tidying up the classroom!

Old 08-11-2008, 08:05 PM
lei

5 posts, read 34,211 times
I am new here, but had to post. Now 50yrs, and my son 27. We aren't from Maui, but the Hawaii public school was not supportive at all. My son who from a gifted and talented / all around athletic child was traumatized. During his transition to 9th grade he began failing in school, and refused counseling. I made repeated meetings with the school. Since my son was not a trouble maker (in class), he was lost in the system. My arguments was left unheard. Feuding with my son, he willingly accepted, "Youth Challenge", under courts approval, mind you.

This did not end with the High School. During his stay at Youth Challenge, the school took him out, and finally did the requested, "Psychology Evaluation", that I requested. Only for the administration to sit down with me and inform (after I received the results of pscy. eval.) that they would release my son, since he is doing well in Youth Challenge.

This infuriated and hurt me inside as I released the results of Psych. Evaluation, which stated: that my son had suicidal tendencies and was recommended involved counseling. I expressed my hurt to a school that I myself had graduated from, and the lack of support from the counselor which I had requested previous times to check in with my son. Much to say, more was said on other matters.

I can't give up on the Public School, we deserve the right to have it. Yes, the schools more money. Yes, they need to discipline themselves for better and consistent perspectives. I didn't have to worry if my child was bullied, I had to worry if the school were paying attention.

Last edited by lei; 08-11-2008 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 08-11-2008, 09:12 PM

109 posts, read 603,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui08 View Post
I am curious as I have posted many threads and read even more regarding life in Hawaii. It seems like when it comes to the real subjects concerning schooling or medical care no one really has any answers. Mostly everyone wants to stay positive and talk about the beaches, sun, relaxed living, etc......

-We are really searching for a way to stay here but are extremely concerned about the lack of education and decent medical care on Maui.

What are other parents doing (or not doing) about their kid's education? Everyone we talk to about this doesn't seem to care what school they send their kids to as long as they are free to live in Maui and enjoy life.....What happens to these kids once the Maui life transforms them and they go through years of school here?
I do happen to agree with you in regards to the public schools and the quality of education. I don't think it is unique to only Hawaii because in LA they have similar problems. One of the problems is teachers with Tenure, many just don't seem to care if the child learns or not. Some of them were old and really just could not handle the kids in the classrooms. Many teachers were nice but nice does not afford the child a decent education. Another problem is passing the child even when they fail in their grades. I have seen where a child was given a failing grade and then the parents come to school and beat up the teacher for failing the child.

Last edited by manoagirl; 08-11-2008 at 10:07 PM..

Old 08-11-2008, 11:07 PM

6 posts, read 20,214 times
I lived in Hawaii many many years ago. I went to public school from 7th thru 12th grade. Having moved from the Southeast part of the mainland where schools are not the highest ranking, I was the top of my class in the public school in Hawaii!! The school was basically a year behind and I was being taught everything that I had learned the prior year. My sister was a high school substitute teacher in Hawaii. She hated it! The students were rude, aggressive, disrespectful, etc...and the fellow teachers seemed to look the other way. Let's not forget "kill haole day", what fun that was. My experience in Hawaii's school system left a lot to be desired. I personally would not want to raise a school age child there, unless I homeschooled.
Just my experience and opinion.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:27 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Actually, considering that most of the jobs available to the graduated students in Hawaii will be service jobs, teaching them to clean class rooms might just be good preparation for when they get to clean hotel rooms.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:53 PM

28 posts, read 66,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
Maui08, you might reconsider California as a choice if you are concerned about your kids' education. NY (outside of NYC) actually has one of the best school systems in the country, I hear. I have also heard that the northeast in general has much better schools (academically speaking) than many other parts of the country. From what I have heard from my sister, who has kids coming into her classes from many different places (HI public, CA, other states), many coming from CA do not place very highly for their age group in math, reading, etc. (The same is true of many coming from HI public schools.)

Food for thought.
Sweetbeet is right. I wouldn't send my kids anywhere that the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals has any say so. I grew up in a very small town in Kansas. It was not a bad school, it just didn't have the curriculum to challenge me. My parents couldn't afford to send me to private school so they made sure to expose me to so many learning opportunities outside of school.

Besides I had 4 cousins graduate from the public schools in Waimanalo. All of them went on to be succesful. 2 have graduate degrees (one of them a PhD from Oxford). So it all comes down to how involved you want to be in your childs education.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:57 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawkfan96 View Post
Besides I had 4 cousins graduate from the public schools in Waimanalo. All of them went on to be succesful. 2 have graduate degrees (one of them a PhD from Oxford).
Reminds me of the bumper stickers I sometimes see on the Windward side:

New York - London - Paris - Waimanalo!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii