U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 04:28 AM

12 posts, read 30,104 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to Hawaii some time down the road and so i have done some research about Hawaii and thus i will never need to post a moving to Hawaii thread.

But recently i have read a lot about how native hawaiians basically had hawaii taken from them in one of the most underhanded ways. I kind of assumed that it was done in a similar fashion as the native americans, where it was wild west justice and things just kind of happened. BUT it all occurred when we had a justice system set up and congress and presidents and all that. In fact the president was on his way to correcting this injustice when im guessing he was strongly dissuaded from it and thus hawaii became a territory and then a state seemingly without anyone asking the native people if they even wanted. There was a vote but it was held by congress not the people of hawaii.

After reading this i was greatly offended and i am a white guy who lost nothing. They lost everything.

Now i have read just about every thread on the honolulu site and the worst thing i have found out about hawaii is that there is some racism from a group of people who had there land stripped from them and then had a bunch of "haoles" come over and drive property prices through the roof with excessive spending and not coming to hawaii to adapt to a different culture and live a more simple life but coming to change it into into their own culture of excess.

There are people on here who actually post can i make it on 200 grand a year. Well i hope so cause if you cant with a median income in hawaii of only 50 grand then your an idiot. But they arent really asking can i make it they are asking can i afford the new hummer 3 gas guzzler and have a couple of houses with 15 bedrooms and run my ac 24 hours a day so i dont have to ever experience anything known as discomfort. We then sue them for wanting to retain their culture and have some schools of their own because its not fair that we cant go anywhere and everywhere we want.

And im sure thats the definition of haole. Walking around like your crap doesnt stink and giving nothing back to the community.

The people that moved to hawaii and didnt make it didnt want a foreign culture, which is what it is, they wanted america in a sunny place with a beach and to be treated by the natives like thank you for hostilely taking over our country 110 years ago. They didnt want to slow down and smell the roses and thats why some didn't go to the beaches for months while there or take time for a bbq. And from what im told its a very generous culture they have they dont even expect us to be groveling at their feet they just want us to have a respect for their home and not have us destroy it while we pass through for our year or two most stay.

But as a white guy who is thinking of moving to hawaii i have to ask myself am i much different? I dont live a life of excess and when i get there i would probably take the bus to get around cause ive heard trafiic sucks, i would grow my own vegetables to negate some food costs, I would be respectful as i always am of the new and exciting cultures around me, i would make time for friends and fun, and overall bring a positive attitude to the islands.

So i guess my question is to the Native hawaiins on here. Is there a difference between my idea of hawaii and the others? And does it make a difference to you because after reading how your country was taken i would value your input as a people on my decision of wether or not to come?

Thanks

Josh
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

>