U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 01:04 AM

35 posts, read 143,774 times

Advertisements

I know there are many great threads on her but we have brachocephalic dogs so it is best to bring them to honolulu with us as carry on instead of cargo. Does anyone know what airlines will allo that that fly from Phoenix to Hawaii?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 08:40 AM

222 posts, read 877,070 times
I am going there next week and have been told that because of Animal quarantine the dogs have to go in cargp because the airlines has to take them directly there and you can not for the quick release program. Here is a link you should check out and if you have not started the process it takes a long time.

Animal Quarantine Information — Hawaii Department of Agriculture

Old 07-31-2008, 09:14 AM

35 posts, read 143,774 times
We have started the process, although we are gonna fall 4 weeks short of the direct release so our dillema is wether or not to bring them and quarantine them there or keep them in AZ with a friend until we can have them released immediately if they would have to go in cargo either way.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:35 PM

682 posts, read 2,703,842 times
I think ATA was the only airline that allowed pets in the cabin to Honolulu, but they've gone under, so now there's no one. It's not true that the quarantine requires pets go in cargo, but it's much easier for the airlines to require that. (Otherwise, the flight attendants or someone needs to take the pet from you on board directly to quarantine... easier to let the baggage handlers do them all and not risk someone just walking off with their pet and forgoing the quarantine process.)

For brachocephalic dogs, I might look into a dog carrier rather than putting them in cargo. It will cost more, but would be worth it for peace of mind, I think.

Finally, if you have friends or family in AZ with whom the pets feel at home, I would leave them there rather than do the quarantine. I just don't think it's healthy for dogs to be confined to such a small area, have to poop so near where they sleep, etc. That said, I have heard that the staff are really kind to the animals, and you can visit them a lot (if you have the time). So if you don't have someone in AZ who can take them, the quarantine facility isn't too bad. (We didn't use them, but I know lots of folks who have.)

Old 08-01-2008, 11:53 AM

210 posts, read 946,777 times
leave your dogs in AZ for 4 weeks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: