Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 04:46 PM

7 posts, read 164,397 times

Advertisements

I really like the poly style half sleeve tattoos. I want to get one while I am there for vacation. I am dark but do not look like a local. Will I get beat down for this ? Why is it ok for americans to get japanese style tattoos or chinese symbols but Hawaiians think only locals can get poly tattoos ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 05:08 PM

129 posts, read 535,299 times
I might try to explain; it is the same reason why people who are not Yu'pik do not get Yu'pik facial scarring. Why people that are not Kayan do not stretch their necks with neck rings. Why your average white, middle-American family does not give their daughter a Bat Mitzvah, or Quinceañera.

There are cultural connotations that come with traditional Polynesian tattooing, that are not present in the mimicry of other styles. The style is often copied and bastardized (see: 'tribal' style) and it is totally acceptable (though, ugly as hell) to get 'tribal' style tattoos. Japanese style has also been bastardized/Americanized, and is common. But go to Japan, and see how common it is for a girl to get "Strength" and "Purity" tattooed inside a daisy above her rump. Getting little tattoos in kanji is nearly an AMERICAN cultural phenomenon, specifically because the style of Horimono, or traditional Japanese tattooing, is very different. It usually involves huge swaths of skin, primarily the back and trunk, is done tediously by hand with sharpened metal or bamboo instruments. It is a test of strength; if you can sit through it, you deserve it.

Polynesian tattoos, along with many were largely administered as a coming-of-age ritual; when you had proven that you were a man, had proven to be a strong woman, (it varies from place to place in the Pacific) it used to be common (before Christians came) to get something of your 'life story' tattooed on you. This could tell your family history, your lineage, of a great event that shaped your life, your family name- these tattoos are EXTREMELY meaningful. Each shape and design has a meaning. And they are earned though 14-18 years of growing up.

You are totally welcome to get one slapped on your arm. Lots of places around Waikiki specialize in them. But remember that it doesn't mean anything, doesn't speak to your heritage at all, and be prepared to explain "Oh, I just thought it was cool looking." when you are asked what it means. You'll have no honor in a tattoo like that, as it will be completely missing the point.

Whenever I see a white guy with a Polynesian tattoo, I always think, "What a stupid turd!"; half the time, men get WOMEN'S designs on their shoulders, which is really funny!

Old 10-11-2010, 05:22 PM

7 posts, read 164,397 times
Thanks for the reply,you seem to know alot about tattoos, what do you think of this tattoo, is it a traditional style or just another tribal ?
Attached Thumbnails
Haole wanting Poly tattoo-tat9.jpg  

Old 10-11-2010, 05:34 PM

129 posts, read 535,299 times
It has elements of traditional styles (the designs inside the piece are vaguely Tongan, Polynesian or Maori) but the shape/negative space is very American. I would say this is a cheap-o tribal rip-off. Seriously, hit the campus in Oahu, and every other kid has this design or one like it.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:03 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,029 times
I've heard of cases, perhaps urban legends, where white kids requesting Asian tattoos have gotten words or phrases they didn't intend!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:44 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
I've heard of cases, perhaps urban legends, where white kids requesting Asian tattoos have gotten words or phrases they didn't intend!
Is it bad that I always hope this is the case?

Old 10-12-2010, 12:50 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,457,849 times
I was at a party once and told this huge scary looking guy what his kanji tattoo translated to (can't remember exactly but I think it said cheap) and the guy flipped out at me. I learned to keep my mouth shut! I agree that it is so lame and somewhat culturally insensitive to pass off a culturally centered tattoo.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:36 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Hey, MarO, you can always "translate" it into what ever you thing they want to hear if they can't read kanji anyway. You know, something like "will buy whoever can read this a beer" or something. It's pretty foolish to get a kanji tat you can't read in Hawaii since there are a lot of folks around here who can read kanji.

Go ahead, wolfgang, get a poly tat. Go to one of the tattoo parlors in Waikiki they are used to the tourist trade and they won't care what they write on you. Dunno why you'd want one, though, since it's an obvious pose. If you just like the half sleeve effect, get a design you like with that placement on it. Doesn't really matter what you get, it all turns into a green blob eventually anyway. How about a pileup of wolves on your shoulder? That's a wolfgang, isn't it?

Old 10-12-2010, 04:38 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Is it bad that I always hope this is the case?
Is it bad that I, too, get a laugh out of such stories? Yes!

If you are getting it permanently applied to your body, geez, do a little research first. "Boneheaded Gaijin" may look pretty but might not be the wisest phrase to add!

Old 10-15-2010, 03:15 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,303,140 times
Japanese people also think Americans are stupid for getting kanji. Does that answer your question?

also, I'm white as can be and also think it's stupid.

Have you ever been to the site funnyengrish.com? I'm sure kanji tattoos are Japanese people's version of that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii