U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:44 AM

24 posts, read 157,104 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving to the islands. Haven't decided which one yet though
not Oahu since I was there so much as a kid. Now I'm 55 years old and single and on disability (s.s.i.) due to a back problem. I'm putting in apps.
for HUD housing apartments. Any information would be appreciated. The
vog concerns me on the Big Island. I have applied for housing on Hawaii,
Kauai, Maui. Due to expenses I'll just come over with my suit case and not
ship my stuff over and redecorate from what I find on the islands. And
that is senior housing that I'm applying for since I'm disabled. Also I'll give up
my car days and use public trans. over there.
Like I said any information will be of great help.
Namaste.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 05:13 PM

10,993 posts, read 22,190,669 times
If you don't have a car, Oahu is probably the best choice since they have a good bus system. Not having a car pretty much limits you to Oahu although I don't know if Maui & Kauai have any sort of good public transport systems. There is a very minimal bus system on Hawaii but it isn't really all that useful. It is also being funded by a grant which may run out in several years so it may not be there when the grant runs out. If you need extensive medical services or any sort of larger hospital, all of those are on Oahu, too.

Well, if you are only bringing a suitcase, consider also getting a round trip ticket with an open-ended return on it so if things don't work out for you there will be a "plan B" available. You can fill in the details of "plan B" to fit your specific situation.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:48 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,725,082 times
I pretty much agree with hotzcatz. Maui has only one hospital if your disability necessitates any kind of regular care. It's in Wailuku and very accessible to Kahului, but not so much Kihei, Wailea, West Maui (including Lahaina), and/or North and East Maui. These areas are served by tiny walk-in type clinics for limited hours. Maui's public transportation is improving, but is limited.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:14 AM

24 posts, read 157,104 times
Thank you. Your very helpful.
T.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 13,779 times
I am thinking of moving to Maui Hawaii for at least a year if I am comfortable ith living there then I will stay but not before then. I have to feel the place out first and see. I am from the Island called Guam and it is also very expensive so it is smaller and not very much to do there. Is the senior living apratments any cheaper or not. Joe A.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:20 PM

18 posts, read 85,951 times
They just finished a lot of low income housing here on Kauai. I am not sure what kind it is. Many of the units are still empty. There is established disability/senior housing but it takes a long time to get into. Kauai is not particularly disability friendly. The sidewalks are old where are are sidewalks. We do have a bus limited system. If you are a senior citizen I think there are senior buses that pick people up. You could try calling the office of elderly affairs or the county and ask.

This is the office of elderly affairs.
www.kauai.gov
4444 Rice Street
Lihue, HI 96766-1340
(808) 241-4470

Old 06-28-2010, 01:23 PM

18 posts, read 85,951 times
Oh and yes most of the time Kauai is not affected by the VOG. Occasionally we get it. I figure if we get it here 200 miles away, on these bad days, it must be really bad on the Big Island.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:56 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,784,891 times
There is not near enough affordable housing on Kauai and people on Section 8 housing have a very difficult time renting. Hence the reason why 3 generations live in a single home to be able to afford it.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:07 AM

220 posts, read 356,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabelle View Post
Thinking about moving to the islands. Haven't decided which one yet though
not Oahu since I was there so much as a kid. Now I'm 55 years old and single and on disability (s.s.i.) due to a back problem. I'm putting in apps.
for HUD housing apartments. Any information would be appreciated. The
vog concerns me on the Big Island. I have applied for housing on Hawaii,
Kauai, Maui. Due to expenses I'll just come over with my suit case and not
ship my stuff over and redecorate from what I find on the islands. And
that is senior housing that I'm applying for since I'm disabled. Also I'll give up
my car days and use public trans. over there.
Like I said any information will be of great help.
Namaste.
Good luck with the housing, esp. if you want low income. I don't know the case on the outer islands, but Oahu has a waiting list several years long
- the last I heard, 7 years to get a Section 8 voucher, and the homeless situation is getting worse, but, again, that is my experience and from friends I know here on Oahu who work for Section 8 Housing, City & County. Some of the public housing, such as Palolo Valley on Oahu, is very nice and others, not so nice. I thought a person had to be at least 60 to get senior housing? I'm not very knowledgable about that.

Also, not only housing, but food is very expensive in the islands, since most is imported. Have you thought about that? I am also on a SS disability, and food is a constant worry every month, esp. good quality.

The islands are very beautiful, and the people are, too, but without family or very reliable friends here, it is a struggle. If you really want to come, immediately make friends with your neighbors, and if you are white (I'm white) or black, don't be sensitive about aloofness from locals, Pacific Islanders and Asians. I've always been friendly even when others seemed a little wary of me, and before I know it, they are upset if I don't call or come by. After making friends with one or two, I'm introduced to all the friends. Being a little naive can sometimes be an asset.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:51 PM

65 posts, read 208,631 times
I am newly disabled and looking for disabled housing on kauai. my husband and i need a clean safe place to live. quiet and reasonable.

I dont need any adjustments made to my living quarters . Senior housing is fine too. Tho we are in our late 40s. but i know some allow disabled in the senior housing units.

any information you could pass my way would be great Mahalo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii