U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 02:42 PM

7 posts, read 70,239 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone...I've learned that once you've shipped a vehicle to Hawaii, you have to register it within 10 days of it reaching port...I assume this is the case unless someone tells me otherwise...My question...If I intended to move to Hawaii but was unsure as to what island I would be happiest..what kinks would I run in to if I had my car shipped to say Oahu, then decided to move to Maui...Would I have to re-register the car (other than address) is there a barge/ferry service for this purpose? is it exspensive?

Thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 07:30 PM

649 posts, read 3,348,804 times
The superferry runs between Maui and Oahu, and takes cars and people.

I am not sure what the official rule is about time to register (it may be 10 days or 30 days). I also don't know of anybody who has gotten into trouble for running over a bit. You have to get a vehicle safety inspection first, before you can register it. Before you get the inspection, you have to have HAWAII auto insurance. So here's what you do:

- get the insurance, wait for the official insurance cards to come in the mail

- go to an inspection shop and get the inspection (takes about 10 minutes); take your out-of-state registration and new insurance cards

- take the insurance cards, inspection sheet, former state registration, former state plates, and title to the motor vehicle office

- you can get either a Hawaii registration (and plates) or an "out of state permit". The Hawaii registration only costs $5, so I went ahead and got my "rainbow plates". (If your state - mine was NY - will pay you back a portion of your unused registration fee, but you need the plates to get it, just tell the person doing the registration, and s/he'll let you keep the plates and send them back yourself. Find out what your current state's policy is on this, before you leave. I'm getting back a year's registration fee from NY, by sending the plates back myself. Also, be aware that when you get your HI insurance, if you cancel your old policy, it will be reported to your old state's DMV which might cancel your registration or suspend your license. So you might have to keep the old policy in effect until you have surrendered the old plates, to be safe.)

-then you have to go back to the inspection station and show them your plates, and you will get the official inspection sticker that goes on the back of your bumper. You're done, for a year! (The inspection has to be redone every year, and the registration renewed; they are independent.)

You are supposed to register your car in the county (i.e., island) where it is being driven. So if you move you have to re-register. I'm not sure what the fee is for that, but it seems to be a fairly simple process. Each county has its own Motor Vehicle Department; here is a site that has links to all:

DOT Public Affairs - Motor Vehicle Registration (http://www.state.hi.us/dot/publicaffairs/motorvehicleregistration.htm - broken link)

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2008, 04:02 AM

820 posts, read 2,910,656 times
Great outline Sweetbeet, you covered it. I was able to get a temporary insurance card from my insurance company as soon as I signed up, so I didn't have to wait for it in the mail. I had AAA on the mainland, and that transferred over to AIG here.

Janny3266 - Just a headsup...when you get your Hawaii drivers license, you need to bring along your social security card. I forgot it the first time, after a long wait at the DMV. You will also need to turn in your old drivers license. If you have sentiment attached to this little thing (I did), then you need to have a copy that you can turn in so you can keep your old one for your scrapbook.

And - I did not register my vehicle within 10 days, and was never stopped for it. I did carry my car shipment paperwork in the car with me, just in case, to show I owned it if I were stopped. I suppose the priority of the PD isn't always with those kinds of traffic stops, if you aren't driving crazy to start.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:24 AM

Thanks all for some great info...One more question tho. What If there is an outstanding loan on the car?? Somewhere I read that you had to have a letter of some sort from the bank at the time of registration over there...I assume to prove ownership??? Does the bank have to "allow" the car to go???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
Great outline Sweetbeet, you covered it. I was able to get a temporary insurance card from my insurance company as soon as I signed up, so I didn't have to wait for it in the mail. I had AAA on the mainland, and that transferred over to AIG here.

Janny3266 - Just a headsup...when you get your Hawaii drivers license, you need to bring along your social security card. I forgot it the first time, after a long wait at the DMV. You will also need to turn in your old drivers license. If you have sentiment attached to this little thing (I did), then you need to have a copy that you can turn in so you can keep your old one for your scrapbook.

And - I did not register my vehicle within 10 days, and was never stopped for it. I did carry my car shipment paperwork in the car with me, just in case, to show I owned it if I were stopped. I suppose the priority of the PD isn't always with those kinds of traffic stops, if you aren't driving crazy to start.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:51 AM

Default Another "one more thing"

Just to be more specific with what I'm trying to accomplish with the car thing...When I move there, I'm trying to avoid some family members from popping on over to the islands to visit 'ole Janny...those who I moving away from in the first place! "You can pick your"...I wanted to make certain I was in compliance with the laws but wanted to know if it were possible to say land in Oahu, take care any legal transactions & transfers, mail some post cards then, if I chose, move to Maui leaving my trail in Oahu without having to re-register everyting...Allot harder to find me in Honolulu than in Lahaina Truthfully, I'm not certain what my final plans will be but I thought I'd have all my ducks in a row when I get on that plane Thanks again

Old 09-13-2008, 08:18 PM

If you have a loan on the car, you need a notarized letter from the bank in order to ship it (at least, Horizon Lines, which I used and highly recommend, requires it). My bank gave me a letter entitled "Permission to Register Car in Hawaii" which worked for Horizon.

Then when you register it, if there is a lienholder on your title, the DMV will send the new title to the bank, not to you. In Hawaii, the bank holds the title to the car until the loan is paid off (that is really weird to me, coming from NY - I'm not sure my NY bank will know what to do with it when they get it!)

I really don't have any advice for the whole "leaving the trail on Oahu" thing. I'm not very good at clandestine operations.

And that's true about the Social Security card. Weird. I asked what do they do if someone doesn't have it? A lot of people don't. The lady told me that they send you over to the Social Security office, where you have to get a paper verifying your SS number. So if you don't have the card you should just go to SS first and get the paper, it will save time.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:59 PM

795 posts, read 2,209,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny3266 View Post
Hello everyone...I've learned that once you've shipped a vehicle to Hawaii, you have to register it within 10 days of it reaching port...I assume this is the case unless someone tells me otherwise...My question...If I intended to move to Hawaii but was unsure as to what island I would be happiest..what kinks would I run in to if I had my car shipped to say Oahu, then decided to move to Maui...Would I have to re-register the car (other than address) is there a barge/ferry service for this purpose? is it exspensive?

Thanks in advance

Booking Number: EB3043109 (TACOMA - HONOLULU)
Thursday, August 21, 2008 11:18 AM
"Sergei Zhurkov" <sergeiz@dasautoshippers.com>

To:
latosensu@yahoo.com
Message contains attachments
Insurance waiver3.doc (317KB)

U.S. WEST COAST DROP-OFF INSTRUCTIONS

ALLOW ENOUGH TIME TO PROCESS YOUR VEHICLE

When you deliver your vehicle for shipment, please allow enough time for paperwork to process your vehicle.

It could take up to one hour.

BOOKING NUMBER REQUIRED

The Horizon Lines booking number must be presented when dropping off the vehicle for shipment and when picking up

the vehicle at destination.

Booking Number: EB3043109 (TACOMA – HONOLULU)

HOW TO PREPARE A VEHICLE FOR SHIPMENT ON A HORIZON LINES VESSEL

1. Don’t fill the gas tank: The U.S. Coast Guard classifies gasoline as a flammable substance, so they require that your gas tank be no more than one-fourth full when on a vessel.

2. Don’t pack anything in your vehicle: No personal items, luggage or boxes may be shipped inside the passenger area or the trunk. An infant car seat and spare tire with jack are permitted to remain in the vehicle.

3. Don’t pack fire arms or fire extinguishers: No firearms or ammunition of any type or fire extinguishers may be stored in a vehicle during shipment.

4. After-market alarm systems: Alarm systems installed in your vehicle (other than manufacturer’s installation) must be disconnected prior to vehicle being shipped. If not disconnected, Horizon Lines accepts no liability for mechanical or electrical damage as a result.

5. Vehicles must meet following conditions: Your vehicle must be in safe operating condition, including but not limited to inflated tires and fully operational brakes, transmission and steering. If a vehicle is not in safe operating condition, it will not be accepted for a container freight station shipment. If you wish to ship a vehicle that does not meet these conditions, we can accept on an exclusive container use only and customer is responsible for loading vehicle into container.

6. Turn-key ignitions only: Horizon Lines cannot ship vehicles with ignitions that require an unusual starting procedure (must be turn key only).

7. Ground clearance: Horizon Lines requires that all vehicles being shipped have a minimum of 6 inches ground clearance.

8. Size restrictions: For vehicles wider than 7 feet or a height of more than 8 feet, please call 877-512-2227 for a rate quote.

9. Vehicle cabin must be enclosed: Horizon Lines cannot ship autos that do not have an enclosed cabin to protect the vehicle from the elements (must have a roof).

10. No cracked or chipped windshields: If your vehicle has cracks/chips on the windshield, it will not be accepted for shipment.

REQUIREMENTS WHEN DELIVERING A VEHICLE FOR SHIPMENT

1. Keys: You must provide Horizon Lines with keys to the ignition, trunk, gas cap and any locked compartment (electronic door openers cannot be used). Please leave copies of your keys (keep your original set of keys) after you have checked to ensure that the copies fit all devices/compartments.

2. Registration/Title: When shipping your vehicle please present the title and registration (original or copy) of your vehicle. If you are not in possession of the title, you may present the original registration containing the lienholder’s information. Horizon Lines will make copies and return the originals to you immediately.

3. Owner must authorize: If the person shipping or receiving the vehicle is other than the owner(s), Horizon Lines requires a notarized letter of authorization from the owner(s). Vehicles destined for Guam and Saipan must be shipped by the owner(s) only (please see Guam and Saipan instructions for detailed information).

4. Photo ID required: You (or anyone you designate) must furnish a photo ID (i.e., driver’s license).

5. Inspection Report: An inspection report will be completed in your presence. Retain your copy for the reinspection at destination port. If you cannot be present for the inspection, you must sign a waiver. If you do not have an inspection report due to waiver, you will sign a statement of any discrepancies on your delivery receipt.

U.S. WEST COAST

DROP-OFF PORT LOCATIONS

TACOMA, WASHINGTON

Address: 1675 Lincoln Ave, Bldg 200, Tacoma, WA 98421

Telephone: 253-882-1604

Hours of operation: No appointment required

Monday–Friday

Open: 8:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M.

Closed: 12:00 P.M. to 1:00 P.M.

Open: 1:00 P.M. to 3:30 P.M.

One sailing per week: Vehicles must arrive no later

than Wednesday 3:30 PM for the current week’s sailing.

DRIVING DIRECTIONS:

North on I-5 (from Tacoma)

■ Take the Portland Avenue exit (Exit No. 134)

■ Turn left onto Portland Avenue

■ Travel 0.75 of a mile to Lincoln Avenue

■ Turn right onto Lincoln Avenue

■ Travel 0.5 of a mile and turn left into driveway at

1675 Lincoln Avenue

■ Stay to far left and check in at guard office

South on I-5 (from Seattle)

■ Take the Portland Avenue exit (Exit No. 135)

■ Turn right onto Portland Avenue

■ Turn right onto Lincoln Avenue

■ Travel 0.5 of a mile and turn left into driveway at

1675 Lincoln Avenue

■ Stay to far left and check in at guard office

HAWAII PICKUP INSTRUCTIONS

VEHICLE PICKUP INSTRUCTIONS

AT DESTINATION IN HAWAII

1. Call to schedule pickup: Call Horizon Lines at 808-842-5333 to check on the arrival of your vehicle and to schedule pickup before you visit the terminal. Allow enough time at the terminal for the release process of your vehicle. It could take up to one hour.

2. Owner must authorize: Horizon Lines will only release vehicles to the person named on the bill of lading. If you choose to have someone other than that person pick up the vehicle, they must have a notarized letter of authorization from the individual named on the bill of lading allowing them to receive the vehicle.

3. Inspection: Please have your vehicle inspection report available in Hawaii. If you cannot be present for this inspection, you must sign a waiver. If you do not have an inspection report due to waiver, you will sign a statement of any discrepancies on your delivery receipt.

4. Booking number required: The Horizon Lines booking number must be presented when picking up the vehicle at destination.

VEHICLES LEFT PAST SPECIFIED TIME ARE SUBJECT TO STORAGE FEES

You have a specified time period to pick up your vehicle once the vessel arrives at the destination port. After that time, the vehicle is placed into storage and is subject to storage fees as follows:

Location Free Time

Hawaii (all locations) .............................5 days

HAWAII STORAGE FEES

A storage fee of $15 per day, per vehicle will be charged (including weekends and holidays) after 5 working days of free storage (free time excludes weekends and holidays).

-Owned Vehicles

HAWAII PICKUP LOCATIONS

HONOLULU VEHICLE PICKUP LOCATION

Honolulu – Vehicle Processing Center, Horizon Lines Terminal

Address: Pier 51-A, Sand Island, Honolulu, HI 96819

Telephone: 808-842-5333

Hours of operation: Call for availability — Mon–Fri

Open 7:00 A.M. – 3:30 P.M., Closed 11:30 A.M. – 1:00 P.M.

DRIVING DIRECTIONS (from Airport):

■ Travel east on H1 to Highway 92 (Nimitz Highway)

■ Turn right onto Sand Island Access Road

■ Go over bridge (about one mile), and Horizon Lines is

located on the left at Pier 51-A

Thank you,

Sergei Zhurkov

Senior Sales Rep.

DAS Global Services

1600 Lower Rd, Linden, NJ, 07036

1-800-626-2505 ext 1595

Direct Line 1-908-290-1595

FAX 1-908-523-0998

sergeiz@dasautoshippers.com

Old 09-17-2008, 12:14 PM

2,688 posts, read 7,083,110 times
Thumbs up Horizon Lines

Aloha...we shipped Horizon, same price but they ship your vehicle in an enclosed container rather than open barge.

We just shipped two vehicles, 2 months apart, and it coouldn't have been easier. They were right on time...10 days exactly from Seattle to Kona on the BI.

You have 30 days to register your car. It cost us $15.00 for our Safety Inspections. If you have repairs to be done you are given 30 days from the date of the inspection check to register.

Be sure you have your insurance card with you (not your declaration page) and your current registration and title if you own the vehicle. You will need your loan papers if you do not.

Be sure you are carrying 'no fault' insurance coverage. This is mandatory for HI. Don't get upset if you have to make more than one trip here or there...sometimes folks aren't upfront w/info...no big deal.

If you are shipping from the Mainland to Hawaii you do not need any letter from any bank.

Your license can run through it's expiration date as can your registration.
I was so confused with all the incorrect info that is floating around websites on the internet that I quit reading them. For instance...you CANNOT buy a Hawaii State license plate or register your vehicle before 'you even get here'.

Hope some of this was helpful.
Happy landing.
Koale

Old 09-17-2008, 12:50 PM

156 posts, read 779,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
... 'no fault' insurance coverage.
What is that? Comprehensive coverage?

Old 09-18-2008, 01:10 AM

'No fault' is the part of your car insurance that pays for damage to your car, regardless of whose fault the accident is.

Contact your insurance company or an agent in Hawaii to arrange for coverage that will meet the minimums required here.

Koale is right on about Horizon, the shipping process, etc. I shipped a car with them in August. It took less than two weeks to get to Kauai from Oakland, CA, and they were great. But they DID require a letter from my bank. Don't know why Koale didn't need one, unless maybe s/he didn't have a lien on the vehicle. And the cars go on an open barge from Honolulu to the outer islands (they are enclosed from the mainland to Oahu).

I just arranged for another shipment (this one from Maryland!) today. Cost for pick up (at a residence) in MD to delivery (to the port) in Kauai was about $2,400. Prices are going up, I had a quote that was $200 less, for the same exact car, a few weeks ago. Guess it's gas prices.

And no, you can't get Hawaii plates before you get here. The vehicle MUST be HI safety inspected before you can get plates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii