Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 27,337 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I am hearing so many mixed things and I just want to get some answers. I want to move to Hawaii (probably Oahu or Maui). I have not gone to visit yet and I don't know anyone from there. I am a 22 year old single female. I have a possible job set up for me at a hotel firm so that would be set (obviously I would not move there unless this gets set in stone).
Like most 22 years olds I love to party and go out and have a good time. This is why Oahu and Maui sounded like the best area for me to move to. I know that it is pricey and I will probably have to sublet with someone or move to a shack but these are things I am willing to do.

Is it really dangerous in Hawaii? I am from NYC so I am sure that some areas are safer than others...
Are people really that anti-mainlanders...would I be able to make any friends?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated and I hope that I hear mostly positive responses because this is something I really want to do.

Last edited by 7th generation; 09-26-2008 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: cleaned up font markers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 02:06 PM

5 posts, read 24,385 times
I haven't lived there in years but I grew up there (spend 20 + years of life).

I suggest you move to Oahu, Maui's really slow paced in comparison (including the nightlife).

Dangerous? Generally no; stay in the metro Honolulu area and surrounding areas, avoid parks, and beaches late at night, especially if you're alone (common sense stuff).

You being from NYC (I lived there a few yrs myself), you'll recognize the prices for rent; basically expect to live in a SMALL studio and paying $700+ a month. I've never been comfortable with the roomate thing, so again use common sense.

The anti mainlander thing is mostly a passing humor thing about mainlander's lack of information of all things Hawaii (they live in grass shacks, aren't part of the USA, etc. etc.), and the fact that they butcher Hawaiian pronunciation LOL...don't worry about it.

However, there is somewhat of a perception that mainlanders are more prone to be rude, elitist, loud, talk too much, and obnoxious, so if you avoid these things and remember Hawaii is a more laid back place, you'll make friends just fine. People in Hawaii and generally warm, will volunteer information freely and are great all around. You may find more mainlanders living there then you think (I think most are students or older ex-mainlanders that moved there well over a decade ago when prices were somewhat sane).

Old 09-26-2008, 05:29 PM

26 posts, read 121,152 times
I live here now and I think that Oahu will suit you better. Oahu has more job opportunities, especially if you're looking into the hotel industry. Hawaii survivies on tourism, and you'll be in the heart of everything.

And like it was mentioned, if you lived in NYC, then the rent won't be too different. If you're down with having roommates, then that wouldn't be a problem, since it seems like there's always someone looking for someone to help with the rent.

And as far as crime goes, Hawaii is pretty safe. My husband is from NY and he says the crime here is NOTHING compared to what he's seen back home.

Again, with Hawaii being a hot tourist spot, there's something to do every night. You'll definitely have fun over here.

As far as people being "anti-maninlander", they exist, but they're not too common. If you live in an area where there's predominately Hawaiians, like Waianae or Waimanalo, then you might run into it. As long as you don't act like you're better than everyone else, then I'm sure you'll be fine. Other than that, Hawaii is generally friendly. I doubt you'll have a hard time making friends. And like it was mentioned already, there are a lot of mainlanders that live in Hawaii. Actually, there's a lot of people from around the world that live here. Hawaii is so diverse and such a melting pot of different ethnicities. If you treat others the way you want to be treated, you'll get the same respect back.

If you have any other questions or concerns that you want addressed, feel free to ask!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:31 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,457,849 times
I moved to Kauai when I was 22, and my only experience with the islands was a 4 day interview there at the hotel I currently work at. I would suggest Oahu as well. I LOVE Kauai, but I def miss the parties and social scene that I had when I was in school. Oahu has more to offer from that end. Oahu is not without its problems (which you can read about on this board). I am personally glad I live on Kauai and not Oahu (the traffic is absurd!!), but at times I miss the business of life that you can have on Oahu. I would say go for it and just live it up while you can. I have been here for over a year and love it, although I know that I will not be here forever (mainly b/c of work). Just remember that you WILL be FAR from friends and family and that it isn't the easiest or cheapest thing to visit home.....Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:09 AM

29 posts, read 131,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderl View Post

Is it really dangerous in Hawaii? I am from NYC so I am sure that some areas are safer than others...
Are people really that anti-mainlanders...would I be able to make any friends?
I haved lived in Arkansas , Texas & California . I had been to Hawaii about 10 times ; been to Maui , Kauai & Big Island few times .
Hawaii is pretty safe compared to the mainland , after all it 's a tourist destination .
I am Asian but I think my opinion is quite objective : " anti - mainlanders " sentiments had been blown out of proportions .
You need to take a trip to the beautiful islands of Hawaii to find out for yourself !

Old 10-13-2008, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 27,337 times
Thank you so much everyone for all your responses. I have been doing a lot of research lately and I was wondering if you knew the bext ways/places to get a car (I have read in a number of books it's better to leave your car behind and rent or buy one in Hawaii) and if I should go through a relator or another form to find an apartment.

I really think this is something I can do and I am so happy that I got such positive feedback

Old 10-13-2008, 11:27 AM

820 posts, read 3,034,451 times
Hi fenderl,

Just from your brief description of what you are looking for, I would agree with the other posts that Oahu is probably a better selection for you. Maui doesn't have much nightlife at all, as far as clubs and music joints.

Oahu is much more city than Maui, and can offer you a lot of diversity with diversions & activities. It also has a more established bus system, and taxis, so while you are getting your car you can still get to work.

I love living on Maui, and nightlife has become hanging with friends instead of going out somewhere.

As far as crime, Hawaii has got to be WAY below NY in violent crime. I tell friends that here on Maui someone might steal your stuff, but they are not likely to hurt you. On Maui I feel safe going to the grocery store late at night, or into the parking lot after dinner with friends. I didn't feel quite as safe on Oahu, but still far safer than I did in many areas of San Francisco. You should always be alert and smart about what you do and where you go, but I do think of Hawaii as generally safer, especially for women.

Of course, that is provided you aren't going to places that are risky anywhere, like night excursions into parks or dark alleys. And if you don't associate with druggies or criminals. If you are a drug user, you will be around criminals and far more likely to have something happen to you.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:32 AM

242 posts, read 1,186,797 times
Default 22 year old Female moving to Hawaii

I lived on Maui for 21 years, left November 8, 1999, it was always more Expensive there than the mainland. NOW things are so ASTRONOMICAL IN PRICES. Rents are crazy and FOOD is so OUTRAGEOUS. Of Course, Oahu is a tad bit cheaper and that AINT saying much! Hard times have hit MAUI, and the rentals have gone up so high but the paychecks virtually stay the same. NY is a state, NEW YORK is a state, what that person meant to say that NEW YORK CITY has a high crime rate. NY is the abbreviation for the state of New York. Well if you wanna have to WORK two jobs to pay for your rent and food and gas and ... have fun it won't last long
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii