Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 08:12 PM

5 posts, read 29,624 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am triyng to move to Hawaii in around 2 years. And I was wondering what I should do to prepare. I know that the living expences are high, but i am not looking to live in any fancyplace!
If you know what should I do, please let me know!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 05:42 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltofearth85 View Post
Hello,
I am triyng to move to Hawaii in around 2 years. And I was wondering what I should do to prepare. I know that the living expences are high, but i am not looking to live in any fancyplace!
If you know what should I do, please let me know!

Sell everything. Only ship things you really, really want. Pick where you live carefully. You may find yourself missing things far more than you thought. Videotapes, books and leather get trashed by this climate. Classic cars rust into oblivion, leave that Stang at home if you have one. Get rid of all your dress clothes and most of your shoes. I recommend spending some time in the place you're moving. Most people get culture shock and 3/4 go back within 2 years. Be well informed and know your spot and you'll do fine. Also, keep your mind open regarding employment. If you do something well, chances are the islands can use it.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:19 PM

259 posts, read 1,918,051 times
Default Move To Hawaii

Where Are You Coming From?..... Save, Save, Save Your Money...you Will Need It! Groceries Are Outrageous Here, Gas Highest In The Nation....def. Visit For An Extended Stay First If You Can!...i Mailed Just 40 Boxes Over For A Family Of Four And Still Probably Brought Too Much (mailing Was Cheaper Than Shipping, And Got Here Faster To)...20 Pairs Of Flip Flops,shorts, No Sweaters Or Coats,,.,,,be Very Careful Of Where You Choose To Live...ck The Neighborhood Very Carefully First...it's Much Different To Live Here Than Visit....we Are Moving Back After Two Years...with The Money We Will Save We Can Visit 3 Times A Year....no Regrets Moving Here, It Was A Great Adventure But Our Savings Has Suffered.i Did Get "rock Fever" After About A Year And A Half (some People Never Do)...good Luck, Anything Else I Can Help With, Let Me Know!!

Old 02-11-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Book

Also, There Is A Great Book Out Called "so You Want To Live In Hawaii"? A Definite Read..

Old 02-14-2007, 02:40 AM

7 posts, read 65,917 times
check out www.honoluluadvertiser.com to look for jobs and corresponding pay vs housing/rental cost. you'd be amazed how people can "make it". most times, you'd be too busy making ends meet to even have the time to enjoy the beautiful scenery.

do keep in mind that the cheapest rentals aren't necessarily the best rentals...and not all of them come with a parking stall, a/c, or a washer/dryer inside the unit. the square footage is also a lot smaller. not very long ago, the Honolulu Advertiser published an article saying that the average person had to make at least $21/hour to afford a "modest" rental. most renters share a room. my tenant pays me $1375/month for a <600 sq ft 1 bedroom condo in honolulu (salt lake) with all the stuff listed above (water, electricity, and basic cable included).

gas and groceries are very expensive. gas up at costco (be prepared for the long line) and find an active/retired military member/dependent to sponsor you into the big Pearl Harbor Commissary to get cheap groceries. other than that, costco would be one of your best alternatives.

i have lived in HI for over 6 years. i hated it in the beginning but learned to love it once i learned how to live "minimally". due to family obligations, we had to move to Orlando, FL...it's been a week since we left HI, and i'm quite homesick by God's grace, the crime over in HI isn't as bad as what I hear it is over here in Orlando.

i hope you do as much homework (and saving, and especially praying) as you possibly can before moving. if you are also looking for a good church, feel free to send me a message.

Aloha!

Old 02-21-2007, 10:09 AM

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the Information it has been helpful. Hopefully I will get more! The more prepared I am the better it will be.
Thanks again

Old 02-21-2007, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 9,776 times
An article I found that might give you some grand info!

Moving To Hawaii? Suggestions for a Smooth Transition to Paradise

Moving across the Pacific Ocean is a grand adventure. Leave the cold hard realities of mainland living behind you, and find yourself in the land of Aloha - or is there more to it? Perhaps a little planning will help smooth the transition to a gentler, warmer, and more relaxing way of life in Hawaii.Moderator cut: give us the link instead of quoting the whole article, please

Last edited by Marka; 02-25-2007 at 02:11 AM..

Old 02-21-2007, 10:19 PM

great artricle....know also that the homes here vary greatly from street to street....you may buy a nice well kept home and your neighbors live in a home that looks like they haven't touched anything that has to do with maintinence since 1962...this is more common that not here! the rules on upkeep, inspections etc. a very lax here and it shows....imo

Old 02-22-2007, 02:55 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,703 times
Question Rock Fever?!

i Did Get "rock Fever" After About A Year And A Half (some People Never Do)

What is "rock fever"?!

Old 02-22-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
i Did Get "rock Fever" After About A Year And A Half (some People Never Do)

What is "rock fever"?!
WHAT IS ROCK FEVER?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii